No compromises home theater speaker build: advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:eek:

Just as a point of dissension, my experiences have been the exact opposite.

I wholeheartedly agree with your dissension.

In my experience fantastic speakers with a mediocre front end sound great while mediocre speakers with a fantastic front end still sound mediocre.

Given the problems speakers have in passing a waveform unadulterated compared to the relative ease with which all other components (except vinyl) pass waveform unchanged I do not comprehend how it could be any other way.

I agree as well.
Using that short little horn that low with a BMS driver is a sure way for unpleasant sound. If you want "jaw dropping" realistic low midrange use a full size, full space midbass horn with a cone driver.
This is not my experience with the aforementioned SEOS/BMS combination. Then again, my room size may be smaller and average listening SPLs may be less than yours.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A compromise I found to work well was a pair of stacked 90x40 500 Hz 1" throat horns [~190+ Hz cut-off IIRC] with the bottom one full range and the other low passed. This made for a slightly larger combined piston area than the 1.4" I wanted to replace and the stacked horn mouths gave me a larger, much more uniform polar pattern to a lower F than the 90x40 500 Hz multi-cell; all mainly to achieve the main goal of a much more extended HF, though ultimately dropped it to 350 Hz when higher order digital XOs and higher power handling diaphragms became available.

Considering the SPLs desired here though, the larger drivers + super tweeter horns is called for if a [2, 3 or 4] way Synergy concept [+ 'filler' mid-bass system if required] isn't an option, which is my preference/recommendation nowadays for any multi horn app, especially a 'no compromises' one.

GM

Another way to get more piston area for the mids with the coaxial BMS is to "tack" woofers on the top and bottom of the SEOS24, Synergy style to assist in the 300 to 700 hz range and blend them in with low order XOs. 4" woofers fit on the SEOS18. You should be able to get 5" or 6" woofers on the SEOS24...

It appears my image above isn't working. No boost on the bottom end. Would love to test at a higher SPL, but am unable to at this time.

SEOS24/BMS:
rwNZK3g.jpg

Neverless ....

... after all is said and done, the room you put all of this in will remain the dominant determent of the quality of the sound you hear; and furthermore, will also dictate the configuration & type of loudspeaker units that should be used. In the design of an audio system, these considerations should come first, if the objective of the effort is to deliver optimum system performance, particularly when the mission has been defined with the absence of any budget constraints whatsoever.

Regards,

WHG

My system is 15"+ CD with active DSP crossover setup. It took a while to deal with the slight harshness that many people (including OP) here probably encountered with similar system, but after many EQ and crossover test and measurement, I come to understand how to manage it. Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.