New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could someone help me to understand how to better implement high pass and low pass filter using T1 input?
For example 70hz lowpass. It will work just using 0.1uf to the ground?Or there must be a resistor between input cap and this 0.1uf?
input-low-pass.jpg

Input impedance is 20k, potentiometer is 50k which will be removed and ladder 10k used instead.
I am still waiting for boards, wanted allready calculate and order parts(caps and resistors) to be able to make these 6db filters when they arrive.
Using input caps as high pass filter is clear, but dont know about low pass?

Hi guys,

Here is an update on my Hifimediy amps. I did buy a much better soldering iron and removed the 10000uf black cap from the T2 board and put in the Nichicon KG 4700uf II cap. The results were NOT so good, the music seems to be coming from an octive to high. Anyway, I'm glad it was only $6 plus shipping. So now I need to find somewhere to buy a Nichicon KG 10000uf Cap to put in there. If anyone has a link with a pic, please post it, I haven't been able to find one, Thanks.

Hello all,

Long time lurker to this thread delurking now that the T3S is out. I had a couple of questions.

A) Would there be a noticeable performance difference between using the Connex SMPS300R and SMPS500R for powering the T3S?

B) I have the parts necessary to make a linear PS -- good iron, caps, maybe a choke. I've read that some prefer the SMPS. Is it a big difference? Is there a compelling reason to use a switching supply over a linear supply?

That second question has probably been answered before but I haven't the time to plow through the 193 pages of this post. Any help will be appreciated.

Hifimediy T2 Special Addition STA510a

Another update:

Since my other T2 Amp that I installed the new cap didn't work out for now. And until I can find an Nichicon KG 10000uf cap for it, I have removed that amp from it's case and installed my new T2 Speacial Addition that I picked up a couple of weeks ago in that case.

Hifimediy T2 special version 2*100W@4ohm amplifier STA510a (Nichicon KG 10000uf)|Hifimediy

Here are my listening results after 3 days. The New T2 Special addition.... is a Monster!! Lot's of Power and More Power... and much more clarity and detail than the T2 4700uf model that does sound wonderful also. This amp is just clearly better! It played sweet right out of the box. It's really, really good. Furthermore it has that warm sweet sound that my T2 4700uf has and my T1 Alps lacks. It just does it with more power, detail and clarity than the T2 4700uf does. However it also has the detail of the T1 with Alps amp, so I think you are starting to get the picture. This amps is amazing!!

Although I have to say I am also really liking the T1 Alps amp. It is really sounding very good, with lots of power, detail and articulation, just not quite as warm and sweet sounding, but it sounds very good, imo.

Back to the T2 Special Addition, I'm running it off of my 27v Meanwell PS I have had, I haven't purchased the 36v Meanwell that Hifimedy says to use with it. That will be next, and should be very interesting. Also one other note, the small cap in front of the big 10000uf Nichicon KG cap is about twice the size of that same cap on the "other T2 models".

If it comes back in stock I will be picking up another one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello, good to see your nice comments about T2-510a special edition. I enjoy this amp since spring. Its really a nice amp. I bet T3S will be even better ;)

If you supply T2-510 at the same 27V, it does not deliver more power than regular T2. However, T2-510 has higher gain. If I remember correctly, 20V/V versus 15 for T1/T2. This gives the feeling of louder sound.

For the rest, I second your comments : it's a better chip and the amp is simply better.

You can power T2-510 up to 36V but take care of the temperature. 2x510a chips at 36V dissipate much more heat than 2x505 at 30V. The heatsink was sized for regular T2 and is undersized for T2-510a. Better put it in a large case.

Maybe anyone's interested in my experiences. The 10.000 uF cap of T2 is in my opinion too small for torroidal and too big for smps. Just a compromise between 2 supply types. The T2 runs with a 1500 fast Panasonic much better preconditioned you use a smps. And smps is not smps. Listenning expreriences should determine finally how small the cap should be.

For T1 I would say that this board has a bit more soundstage and the bass is more punchy. But I got some trouble last times in connection with my smps. Buzz and fizzling out from smps and speakers. 2 x T1 up to now with problems. The T2 on other hand has a more tube like sweetness and no problems with my smps.

As alkasar mentioned and I hopefully understood right: With T2 you have to turn the volume more up than T1 to reach same level.
By the way: does anybody know which output voltage should be come from source for optimum gain ?

Maybe anyone's interested in my experiences. The 10.000 uF cap of T2 is in my opinion too small for torroidal and too big for smps. Just a compromise between 2 supply types. The T2 runs with a 1500 fast Panasonic much better preconditioned you use a smps. And smps is not smps. Listenning expreriences should determine finally how small the cap should be.

For T1 I would say that this board has a bit more soundstage and the bass is more punchy. But I got some trouble last times in connection with my smps. Buzz and fizzling out from smps and speakers. 2 x T1 up to now with problems. The T2 on other hand has a more tube like sweetness and no problems with my smps.

As alkasar mentioned and I hopefully understood right: With T2 you have to turn the volume more up than T1 to reach same level.
By the way: does anybody know which output voltage should be come from source for optimum gain ?

1.5Vrms or about 4.2Vpp maximum for T1 through T4 and reach the maximum power on output.

Just to share with others, ordered from eBay new switching power supply s-350-48. Cheaper then Mean Well and offer free shipping. Hope will be good with Hifimediy T3s boards.
Seems that specs are slightly better then Mean Well. No fan and efficiency is higher, 86%, little bit heavier.
350W 48V 7.3A Regulated Switching Power Supply | eBay
Here is original spec from both units
http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-350/s-350-spec.pdf
http://www.chnwh.com/en/pdf/S-350W.pdf
Yet another meanwell clone :D
Note that most of the clones are made of poor quality or refurbished parts. Up to you to take the risk for few $ savings.

Yet another meanwell clone :D
Note that most of the clones are made of poor quality or refurbished parts. Up to you to take the risk for few $ savings.
When I get it, will post my experience... I just don't see reason why Mean Well has to be reference in SMPS production in country of 1.4 billion people ? There are other companies as well which has good products and export around the world.
If specs are true, seems that one is better, no fan, better ripple and noise (150 mWp-p vs. 250 mWp-p), better efficiency (85% vs. 83%).

Hi,

Yep, the T2 Special edition is special. I didn't change my meanwell setting from where I had it with the other amps, the T1 Alps and T2 4700. It's almost all the way up, just backed off a bit.

The T2 has the punch of the T1 and the warm sweet sound of the T2 4700. alkasar may be right about the gain, but that is just part of the sound! It also has more definition in the music, and with the notes going on in the background are clearer and more pronounced. It is just an amazing amp. I haven't plugged my T2 4700 back in since I fired up the T2 Special addition.

My wife has told me no more amps, so I would have to sneak another T2 Special in. I better wait. :)

I haver a better chance of getting an 36v meanwell for it, I may be able to BS her on that. lol I want to hear it with the 35v ps.

Cheers!

I got 2x T1-M recently. Very happy so far. Running at 12V, seems to be plenty of power though I'm yet to test at 'doof volumes'.

Noise is quite acceptable. Inaudible with my woofers and subs. With my 113db/W compression drivers I'm using a ~10db L-Pad and I need my ear within ~30-40cm to hear the noise.

Best part is there are no dangerous voltages involved - great for those of us who are prone to silly DIY mistakes and poor technique. And cheap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.