New Small DIY Gigawork Dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LM49720 and LM4562 are exactly the same parts (just a new name) so you can not hear any differences! :D

Another question: does the 24Bit/192kHz mode work? the old version had a failure with that mode!

1) glad my newbie ears are honest then :cool:

2) 24Bit/96kHz & 24Bit/192kHz flacs both playing beautifully... oy, now i gotta start a silent PC project as i don't have another high bit-rate source! I'll probably spring for a juli@ s/pdif upgrade while i'm at it (unless someone can suggest a good/fast/cheap better solution.

this whole hobby is really getting to be a problem :zombie:

me too i'd like use the transformers like output but, i think in my big ignorance, without schematic........... nothing to do.

the first thing for a dramatic improvment would be to replace, if there are, the output capacitors.

usually are elko or worse.
better will be replace it with film capacitors(polypropilene?).
i ask for the schematic to the seller but not news yet arrived.

I got the schematics with the DAC, but it is barely readable.
I asked an electronic version to the seller, but no luck...

I dont' think there are output capacitors.

For the transformers, I took inspiration from this passive output from Rakk :
Passive output

But he is using a PCM1794 where our dac uses a PCM1798.
Smaller output current, so I went to the LL1636 transformer which can be wired as 1+1:10 to get a higher output level. And some 15Kohm resistors for I/V conversion.

I'll give feedback as soon as I have all the remaining pieces.

1) glad my newbie ears are honest then :cool:

2) 24Bit/96kHz & 24Bit/192kHz flacs both playing beautifully... oy, now i gotta start a silent PC project as i don't have another high bit-rate source! I'll probably spring for a juli@ s/pdif upgrade while i'm at it (unless someone can suggest a good/fast/cheap better solution.

this whole hobby is really getting to be a problem :zombie:

Try the M2Tech Hiface 24/192 USB Interface! That must be great stuff with ultra low jitter 2.5 ppm!

perfect!!!

but if the computer not close to the amplifier etc etc, all the best can make the M2T will be penalized by the length of the cable to connect the "audio system".

or i mistake!

most probably an AES/EBU cable 110 Ohm will nullify less than a coax cable 75 Ohm.

maybe.

I was thinking of the BNC version... my cable run is about 4 meters (i know, i know).

anyone tried this PCM2902 USB->S/PDIF from China? Cute little bugger...

PCM2902 USB to S/PDIF Coaxial Audio Converter SKU64 - eBay (item 230410109033 end time May-07-10 20:45:08 PDT)

As we say in Germany: pearls for the pigs! :D

Perlen vor die Säue werfen.

Hopefully nice square pearls.:cubehead:

gonna pass on that and get the M2T thing in BNC.

Man the DAC with the dual Burson even makes MP3s sound fairly decent. Gonna def order some Sanyo Os-Cons for board per Lampizator... but not sure where to put 'em since his site refers to the older model. Hopefully someone will stumble upon this for guidance.:xfingers:

Put an old Musical Fidelity tube buffer between the Gigawork DAC and my amp but i'm not noticing much improvement, possible muddiness/cloudiness/warmth and i think i prefer it without. Hard to tell honestly as it takes time to swap cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.