New Small DIY Gigawork Dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like a good DAC. Uses PCM1798 which reputedly is better than the CS4398.

Not sure how you would use output transformers though. It is easy on the bigdac, but this uses SMD parts so no holes to tap into.

There is a good article on modding the old version here. Mods will still be valid for the new one:

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMPUCERA/CD DAC Lampucera lampizator.html

Edit: thinking about it, if you bought just the DAC board and made your own quality power supply and high quality regulation. This could be a stunning DAC!

Last edited:
the 2010 lampucera is completely different than previous DAC.
maybe the modding will be the same but i don't know.

ok, 2 OpAmp are for the I/V conversion(OpAmp conversion? sorry but i don't know what this project means) and the third is only for the output?
if so, the transformer will be connected to the last(THIRD) OpAmp.
i mistake something?

additionally...

To have a finished Dac, you need a box...;)

and literally out-of-the-box (see pic) it sounds splendid... i have a Burson opamp and OPA627 that i'll try in those two for kicks in that third socket later today and let you know how the sound changes. Now need to find an old external hard drive chassis to put this in...

My romantic notion of spending big bucks on a bitchin' TT is tarnished now with this simple lovely sounding setup -> MacOSx86 netbook clone -> Buffalo NAS server -> ripped FLACs -> Airfoil -> Airport Express(s) -> toslink -> Gigawork DAC -> Primaluna integrated tubey. Listening lossless and wireless to Sinatra's "Nice n' Easy"... and it is indeed! :nod:

Attachments

• SDC10566.JPG
    SDC10566.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 2,727
i have a Burson opamp and OPA627 that i'll try in those two for kicks in that third socket later today and let you know how the sound changes.
I have very good results with 2 lm4562ma as i/v + 2 lt1028cs8 on a 2 simple=>1 dual opamp on the third socket.

I'm about to try some LL1636 Lundahl transformers to shortcut the whole opamp circuitry. I know it triples the price of the dac, but passive output may be pretty rewarding! At least, I hope so... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I ha
I'm about to try some LL1636 Lundahl transformers to shortcut the whole opamp circuitry. I know it triples the price of the dac, but passive output may be pretty rewarding!

Well, this DAC is invariably going to be working 80% of my listening or more, so the cost could easily be justified... looking very much forward to your results!

My new Burson dual is burning-in, don't want to judge for another 20hrs or so.
Ordered a couple of LM4562's for the I/V's based on your positive experience, $10 on ebay, why not?

Any other mod thoughts folks?

Tried both LM49720 and LM4562 in the I/V stages and i truly cannot hear a difference between the two. That's not to say i'm not happy however ;) The Burson dual on the output sounds splendid now after 100+ hrs. twas a bit bright initially with my Maggies, but has warmed considerably.

Has anyone here had any experience with upgraded caps to replace the SMDs (a la Lampucera investigations on the previous rev board) they'd like to share?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.