New Saburo Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like I said , my Saburos sound fine...for me...:rolleyes:
I am useing the new Fostex126EN...;)
Is it possible, that this new speaker series has no problem in that 6 to 7 KHz area????? :confused:
I hear nothing disturbing to my trained ear...:no:
Maybe because I am always aware of the fact, that its only a somewhat memory I get from record or cd of what happened at the studio or live act...
:spin:

Scott, that's an interesting challenge you pose, and I'm not going to take it up. I just know if I try something like that, it'll be a goopy mess.

Do you have any pix of something you finished this way?

This is basically the same process I described in an earlier post using Danish oil. The oil process is very manageable and easy to do. Just remember to seal first if finishing blotch prone wood like cherry or birch, and if you're doing stained wood, sand very lightly or you will remove stain.

Me? No, you won't catch me building things. Not finished things anyway. I can build prototypes, but my woodworking skills are minimal at best.

'ear be a link though: Traditional Finishing Techniques - Google Books -select 'an easy, durable finish' from the contents page.

I believe Dave & Chris had initially hoped the new 126En had fixed the 7KHz breakup of the old E model, but it's still there, albeit a bit better than the old one. :mad: That said, it could be a whole lot worse -it's not in the critical hearing BW, and sympathetic choice of amplifier and / or wire (as in the wire's electrical properties, rather than some pseudo-scietific nonsense) can help.

Last edited:
Uh oh!

I didn't seal it with any kind of wood conditioner. I thought I didn't need to if I wasn't going to stain. So I just went straight on with a coat of Danish oil last night!

Ahhhhh! Some one tell me I'm gonna be ok!

Wire. I used 14 guage, or was it 12 guage speaker wire.

I'll be feeding these Saburos with a VTA "boarded" Dynaco ST 70. I hope I haven't made a problematic wiring decision. I can't re-wire now, as I've used binding posts that go straight into and through the back of the speaker.

hifisucks: there's a lot more going on in the FE126E as shown in fanderson's post than just taming of the 6-7K resonances.

while some folks don't seem mind the stock version at all, the full EnABL treatment elicits a level of refinement and coherency of low level detail and depth of soundstage dimension that has AFAIK yet alluded objective quantification, and for which that many who've experienced it are quite willing to sacrifice the very minor loss of measurable sensitivity and FR extension.

I didn't seal it with any kind of wood conditioner. I thought I didn't need to if I wasn't going to stain. So I just went straight on with a coat of Danish oil last night!

Ahhhhh! Some one tell me I'm gonna be ok!

Yes, you will be ok. The sealing is just to prevent blotching which is some parts of the wood absorbing more finish and appearing darker. If you're using birch you may see this on the side panels but because the front is quite narrow you probably won't notice anything there.

Wire. I used 14 guage, or was it 12 guage speaker wire.

I'll be feeding these Saburos with a VTA "boarded" Dynaco ST 70. I hope I haven't made a problematic wiring decision. I can't re-wire now, as I've used binding posts that go straight into and through the back of the speaker.

Others will probably correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think wiring internally will make a big difference. You should try cat5 from the amp to the speakers.

Nice amp:)

Flemming

I believe Dave & Chris had initially hoped the new 126En had fixed the 7KHz breakup of the old E model, but it's still there, albeit a bit better than the old one. :mad: That said, it could be a whole lot worse -it's not in the critical hearing BW, and sympathetic choice of amplifier and / or wire (as in the wire's electrical properties, rather than some pseudo-scietific nonsense) can help.

Per my above post, as indicated by the overwhelming success of the FE126E, many listeners didn't mind its rather forward and dynamic presentation in the upper octave or so of mid-range. My initial listen to the new version was to a pair already well broken in (over 300hrs by Dave's reckoning) stock pair, which is FWIW probably the first untreated pair of either these or FE127E that I've spent any time with in the past 5yrs.

The amp in question was a highly modified ST70 (let's say the only thing "Dyna" about this piece was the power and OP iron :eek:), running mostly in triode mode IINM, and the wire was single strand CAT5/ packing-tape ribbon (with random strands of feline fur :spin: )

Flemming,

Thanks for the reassurance. Oh, you like Dynacos, huh? I'm really enjoying it, and I must say Bob Latino, who puts out the kit, is most helpful. The building of it was easy and fun.

Chris, I tried to read the paper about the benefits of enabling, vis a vis standing waves etc. It was late, I started getting a migraine. ;-)

I'll take another crack at it when time and energy allow for the required effort needed for such a physics Luddite as myself.

I read enough about it on the forum before buying that it seemed ill advised to scrimp for the sake of a few bucks, and not get the full monty!

Given the time, effort, and expense of the wood, the cost of the drivers is fairly small potatoes, given the pivotal role they play. If I were really curious, I might sometime get a non-abled set to swap in for comparison. Then again, I'm sure Dave and others have done comparisons.

Chris, I tried to read the paper about the benefits of enabling, vis a vis standing waves etc. It was late, I started getting a migraine. ;-)

I'll take another crack at it when time and energy allow for the required effort needed for such a physics Luddite as myself.

aye, laddie - there's the rub - let's just say that this is one of those "out of the box" situations where the mechanism of how/why it works are not fully understood.

LOL, I caught part of a "Science" show on Discovery HD last night that attempted to reconcile (and make accessible to the average cable viewer) black holes/string theory, etc - the only result that I could understand is that some of this stuff is just simply made up - and how can it ever be disproved? :p

IOW, save the time trying to digest the techno-babble and just listen to it :rolleyes:

I read enough about it on the forum before buying that it seemed ill advised to scrimp for the sake of a few bucks, and not get the full monty!

Given the time, effort, and expense of the wood, the cost of the drivers is fairly small potatoes, given the pivotal role they play. If I were really curious, I might sometime get a non-abled set to swap in for comparison.
Then again, I'm sure Dave and others have done comparisons.
yes, several times

Hi Fellas, just did a DIY job on my Saburos, after reading alot about modifications to the FE126EN... So looka here!
After my sons birthday party one of the cones was pushed in... I broke out in sweat... later in the evening I tried sucking the crunch out with div. utensiles(straw,waterhose,my luxiourus lips...haha) didnt work.
So I stuck a needle in the cone at 4 different places to gently bend the darn thing out... still looks a little crumbeled, but sounds as good as it did before the little kid found a button looking divice to push... hahaha (my fault!)
Lets get on with it...:rolleyes:
I found some acrylic paint in the color of my desire and wipped in on the diaphragms with selfthought artistic inspiration on the design...hahaha... the holes from the needle I gave a little drop to close...:p

Again and again I listened to cds and lps to insure myself, that I was hearing correct...:eek:
All that sometimes slightly barking middle frequenzie zones is completly verschwunden... eh GONE !!!:cheers:
Great Guggelly Muggelly... They sound so good now...Much more complete in their presentation than without this creativ touch...:)
GIVE IT A TRY!!!
:D

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 304
Done!

Gentlemen, good morning.

I finished off the Saburos last night with a second coat of furniture wax over 2 or 3 coats of Danish oil, installed the drivers, and attached the spikey feet.

Carried them in the house and fired up the system for 2 hours of relentless enjoyment.

Here are a couple of picutres of my Saburos after being released into their new habitat.

If the Zigmahornets were good, then these are, I dunno, something more like "devastating."

My thanks to you all for your interest in and assistance with my project!

Brenton

Attachments

• 1 saburo.jpg
    1 saburo.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 2 saburo.jpg
    2 saburo.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 284
Hey Don,

The bass is really ... really THERE! First think I played was Easy Money by Ricki Lee Jones, a nice jazzy number with a nice upright bass featured prominently. My son, who's a jazz musician, said "That bass sounds REAL" You could hear details in the slap of the fingers on the bass, the vibration of the strings, and the deep, rich sound of the bassy notes.

The sound really fills the room.

I'm really thrilled with these things! But I better go do some more listening now. I don't want to jump to any premature conclusions about them. More data. That's what I need.

Thanks for your kind words.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.