NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it a OBJ LENS?

hi
i got this lens from local scrap market
it was attached to a assembly which looked like a part of projector
is it a obj lens? i am attaching the pics
the dia is 5.5cm

can i use it as a triplet (or is it a triplet)
how to measure FL etc.
pls ignore my lack of knowledge

Parag

Attachments

• lens.jpg
    lens.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,132
Re: is it a OBJ LENS?

paragdesh said:
hi
i got this lens from local scrap market
it was attached to a assembly which looked like a part of projector
is it a obj lens? i am attaching the pics
the dia is 5.5cm

can i use it as a triplet (or is it a triplet)
how to measure FL etc.
pls ignore my lack of knowledge

Parag

Looks like a singlet to me. You may be able to project images with that but the quality will depend on the lense. Some singlets are much better that badly aligned triplets. Get yout of your room and try to focus the sun to the floor . Try to get the smallest white dot possible and messure the distance from the lence to the spot. That will be the FL of the lens.

Guyz, I am in a real fix now.... the LCD that I bought, has a feature wherein, if you turn it upside down, still the picture remains uninverted. I mounted it upside down and the front facing the fresnel 1 (as it should be for striaght projection), but the picture was as normal, and obviously the projection was inverted. The setup has an option to make it a rear screen, so that it can be viewed in a mirror (ideal for cars), but there's no option to disable the mentioned feature. Dunno what to do.... any inputs..????

If nothing else works, then I may try putting another fresnel in front of the objective. This will inverted the image and project it as a normal striaght image. But not sure weather this will work good results.

Maks0001 said:
Guyz, I am in a real fix now.... the LCD that I bought, has a feature wherein, if you turn it upside down, still the picture remains uninverted. I mounted it upside down and the front facing the fresnel 1 (as it should be for striaght projection), but the picture was as normal, and obviously the projection was inverted. The setup has an option to make it a rear screen, so that it can be viewed in a mirror (ideal for cars), but there's no option to disable the mentioned feature. Dunno what to do.... any inputs..????

If nothing else works, then I may try putting another fresnel in front of the objective. This will inverted the image and project it as a normal striaght image. But not sure weather this will work good results.

Adding another fresnel may not be the solution. Will bring down the quality of your projector. First try using a transperance of some sort with some hand written messages and try to get it right. Then try it with your lcd.

ilango_slk said:

Adding another fresnel may not be the solution. Will bring down the quality of your projector. First try using a transperance of some sort with some hand written messages and try to get it right. Then try it with your lcd.

Hey, c'mon ilango_slk... looks like you did not read my post properly.... It's not that the LCD is mounted improperly.... the LCD itself has a special feature that keeps the reproduced picture uninverted even after turning the LCD upside down.

If you look at my earlier posts, I have attached images of test projection using transperency. That was pretty neat. So it's not that I am wrongly mounting the LCD. It is as it should be.

Hey ilango_slk, it's okay.... please don't be sorry.

well, I did take a snap, but havent downloaded the pics yet from my camera... and it's at home now, while I am in office.

well, it's not actually a roof mountable LCD, but yes... the feature that I mentioned does allow it to be used as a roof mountable LCD. It has a standard tripod jack which can be atached to a table stand that came with it, or can be taken to the roof of a car.

No, Iam not talking about mirror view type of invertion.... I am talking about turning LCD "UPSIDE DOWN". This should normally make the image too upside down, so that when it's projected, the picture is straight..... but it doesn't. The image remains standing striaght even when the LCD is turned upside down.

ilango_slk said:
do you mean to say the image automatically adjusts itself based on how the lcd is held or positioned??????????

Yes, ilango_slk.... you got it now..!!! that's exactly what I was trying to explain. The image adjusts itself to normal viewing, irrespective of the position of the lcd.... It's mentioned there on the box also, but I ignored it.

But anyways... it's all in a good situation now. There was an option in the setup that went unnoticed by me. :xeye:
One has to scroll down through the menu to get that option. There, not only I can disable this feature, but also do a tonns of other settings like switching between as many as 10 aspect ratio formats - right from 4:3 to 16:9. Also, I can invert or make the image appear in mirror view, or just a normal image... it's too good. The brand is named SUPER, but all the circuit boards are of SHARP make.

Looks like this monster will come live by this weekend...!!!
BINGO..!!!

Thanks pollok.... I am going to start the third phase of testing tonite... this's gonna be one that will show the actual performance of the PJ, when I run it for a prolonged time and the heat is really ON inside. If it passes through this fire test, I'll finish the final fittings in next couple of days.

You know what Pollok... just like you, I too was finding it difficult to get time in between my work and the construction of the PJ. But then I started working on it late nights. We have a 5-day week here. So I lock myself in the work room on weekends, and get buried with the projector construction. I haven't taken my wife out on weekends for last over two months... neither have we watched a latest release DVD at home.... the reason why I want to conclude this project at earliest.

Gotcha..!!!

Guyz, while constructing this projector, I have learnt a lots of new things besides just the optics. Something that I got to know lately, I would want to share this with you all.

As I was struggling the feature in the LCD wherein, the image adjusts itself to normal viewing, irrespective of the position of the LCD whether striaght or upside down, I figured ou how to disable that in the setup... okay, no big deal. But last night, when I fitted the circuit board back in it's place, it was back to square one. This time even changes to the setup didn't help. After breaking head for atleast 30 mins, what I found was astonishing... There's a small bulb type glass component, which has a drop of mercury inside it. The mercury moves as we move the circuit board. If it is in downward position, then the LCD is used as a normal viewing. But if the mercury is in upward position (LCD turned upside down) then the picture adjust itself to normal irrespective of the position of the LCD. Isn't that great..???

Hi guys,
Iam from chennai and am very much interested to build a projector on my own. I had been looking on to buy a LCD or a DLP but the price seems very expensive.

Anybody from chennai who is half way building a projector or completed one, pls share your experience.

My email id is ren_senin@yahoo.com.
Pls help me in acquiring the lens, lcd panel and stuff in chennai. Pls give out your contact nos. i would be willing to join you guys.

Cheers.
ren

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.