NEW projector from INDIA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Maks,

I am new to this forum and seek your guidance.
I want to build a projector which can project a normal dvd player output. Could you please tell me about the required components the basic design of the project and where can I get all the required components in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramesh

rameshudupi said:
......Could you please tell me about the required components the basic design of the project and where can I get all the required components in Bangalore.

Ramesh, the reqd. components are as mentioned:

1] Light Source = Osram 150W MH lamp (two sided with ball)
[2] Rear coated (ordinary) mirror
[3] Fresnel 1 = 220mm
[4] Fresnel 2 = 330mm
[5] LCD = 7" 640x480
[6] Objective Lens = 315mm Triplets

I turned Bangalore upside down when I was collecting parts, but in vain. You could get the lamp and the lcd in Bangalore, but not the lenses.

New projector from India !

Maks! Are you bye any chance seeing any ghosting in your projected image as i have heard that normal mirrors give an awful ghosting effect!And second ? how bright is your projected image are you able to watch movies with some light on ?Next ? my room is all white walls and ceiling if there is a light 40 watt on in the room before the screen the projected image gets washed out easily.So to fix this problem i have put light behind the screen.Yes i know this takes away theater effect but some light is needed.So conclusion how do i measure in luminus flux in the projected image and what should it be in order to achieve good results?My over all brightness somehow must be increased.I already have a concave mirror on the way will this help my brightness problem?I am now using the 400 watt BT 37 4200 kelvin 65 CRI sylvania metal halide bulb and balast.

Re: New projector from India !

cool 1 said:

Cool_1, I am using an ordinary rear coated mirror, only at the light source. There's absolutely no ghost image. At 150watts OSRAM MH lamp, my image is bright enough to be watched in a dark room. There's a 15watts dim bulb in my room right behind the projector, so if switched ON the light falls striaght on the screen, yet the image doesn't get washed out... just fades a lil. The light produced by the PJ is enough for the room too... at least we can see the things around easily. So I feel at 400watts your image should be much brighter. Hope you have that reflector right behind the arc of the bulb. Your's is a single sided bulb. So, if you have installed the bulb up striaght (as we use a normal domestic bulb in a socket), the arc would be away from the centre of the reflector. Thus it wont reflect all the licht. Try placing the bulb horizontally, I feel that should make some difference to the brightness level. Besides, make sure that the projected light is not escaping through the screen... I mean, it shouldn't penetrate. If it does, that affects your brightness. Paint your screen grey from behind. If you are projecting on a white wall, see that it's not a whitewashed wall... that will not reflect back enough light. A mat white paint should do the job.

rameshudupi said:
Thank you very much Maks and I will get back to you if I require any further information.

Any tips for getting the whole thing right in my first attempt itself?

Do you have the design with exact measurments?

Ramesh, buddy U'll need to do your homework before you jump into this project. Pls do not expect success in first attempt itelf... infact, failures drive you to try even more harder. As far as the design with measurements goes, try to make your own design... it'll give you a satisfaction of shaping your own creation. You'll know about the measurements when you do some study and research. Start the project when you feel confident of driving it to success. Help is always ready on the forum.... Good Luck..!!!

Maks!!Replying back to ya,The lamp is placed horizontally about 250cm away from the LCD with a tempered sheet of glass between the bulb and the LCD the reflector is placed right behind the lamp arc about 15cm away from the bulb.The problem i think is that the reflector at the present time is not reflective enough until i get my concave 4" mirror .I am just using a 6"stainless bowl that i tried to polish but it didn't turn out very reflective.Also my LCD and my fresnal holder had some adjustments to be made (light ecaping) so i think i can solve the issue.As for the screen i am using blackout cloth!!.with a black 2" frame.

Thanks for the come back Maks my good buddy!!That is exactly what i meant 250mm .And as of 12:10pm my time i have solved almost all of my issues.And now have even fixed some of my heating problem i lowered it to around 92 degreesI now have it i think almost as bright as what i can get but am still waiting for my concave reflector to arrive,then i will install that and i should be finished and then on to some detail to the outside of the box.It is going to look really good as i am going to some brass trim on the corners and hinges to the lid, and will go with a really nice paint.Over all i am very happy with the way it has turnt out,and can't wait for the finished PJ!!Once again thanks goes out to ya Maks!!The more i do the better it is getting.

Maks,

Thank you very much for your wishes.

There are two things I would like to know

1. What type of fresnel lenses have you used? Because when I requested for a quotation from lensel they have sent quotation for 'fresnel condenser lens' and 'single fresnel lens'. Which one of these should I buy?

2. How far is your projector from the screen and is this distance known as throw distance?

Ramesh

rameshudupi said:
Maks,

Thank you very much for your wishes.

There are two things I would like to know

1. What type of fresnel lenses have you used? Because when I requested for a quotation from lensel they have sent quotation for 'fresnel condenser lens' and 'single fresnel lens'. Which one of these should I buy?

2. How far is your projector from the screen and is this distance known as throw distance?

Hi Ramesh..... I have mentioned the specs of the Lens (fresnels and triplets) in my earlier reply to your post, kindly refer to the same. Specify that in your email to lensel. These are called split fresnels. for My PJ is at a 15ft. distance from the screen.

More pic of one projector

now, such diy projector can be easily found in US and China.
THis is waht I find from Lumenlab. This premade projector has a perfect image, and I got it at a not-too-expensive cost.

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 409
Re: More pic of one projector

vodkajin said:
now, such diy projector can be easily found in US and China.
THis is waht I find from Lumenlab. This premade projector has a perfect image, and I got it at a not-too-expensive cost.

Hello.... go thru the forums over the net, and U'll know how worthless is the eVo. Needless to say, only a DIYer can know the satisfaction one feels on building his own projector.

Ya thats the truth Maks!! The EVO is very crappy as compared to our DIY built ones just look in the forums from Lumenlab them selves even they complain about it for the same cost as one of those we have 15"LCDs thats capable of 1080by720 resolution HD boys!! My soon build !!Not only that look at lamp life !That to me is very very important here in canada.Lamps here that we need are very expensive and hard to get not to mention the Fresnals as of now i have $700.00 into mine and it is bottom of the line Fresnals alone were $100.00 .

Hey guy's I've got my pj 95% finished and am reasonably happy with the over all projected image the PJ is tweaked to the max and now i have some advice to all who are building and who are thinking of building unless the 7" has a higher resolution than 640by480 the image will have the screen door effect unless adjusted a little out of focus.SUGGESTION::: USE A BIGGER LCD WITH BETTER SPECS!!ADVICE!!And also due to the size of the room my pj is in i am close to the screen,(6ft away) so any flaws in any part of the setup are very noticeable(dirt on the LCD,scratched fresnal).CONCLUSION:: USE THE BETTER LCD"S!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.