New Project - Dayton RS180 and Vifa XT25

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

It is debatable whether the cost and complication of using LR6 to get such
a low c/o point is worth it, given the size of the bass/mid in that competition.

The overall winner was LR4 at 1.6kHz as the best compromise.

Note that the LR2 winning designer, Jay Kim has a RS180 design :
Dayton RS180 2-Way

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I mentioned this earlier. The above is LR4 at 1.55KHz.

And it it uses Zaph's topology that I suggested earlier as the most simple.
It does not ignore the issues as you suggest above, its a nice approach.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,
Yes, the real problem is to find the best compromise between all the possible solutions. And there are still a lot of things to write...

About this project, the box with the curved side is nice.
Wait and see the evolution of this project. This one is interesting because the driver is a hard cone. Hard cones are interesting to use because they are excellent in the pistonic range but out of range, it could be a nightmare. Imagine a sound with super clean parts and some dirty parts. The tuning can take a lot of time. All things come at a price...

Cheers.

So, this has turned almost completely 180 degrees. While looking around for tweeters better than the XT25 for this application, I fell in love with the B&G Neo 3 PDR, which I ordered yesterday, in the OEM version with larger back cups.

The salesperson I spoke with had lots of very grumpy things to say about the Dayton RS180.

So, now that I have B&G Neo3 tweeters on their way, I've realized that this project could very quickly morph into a ZX Spectrum, with a very slightly different crossover (I don't want to order 6.8uf caps when I have 7uf sitting in my bin!) and slightly less BSC because I'm using a much smaller, sloped side cabinet than Paul's Spectrum (am I thinking about this correctly?)

Maybe a topic change is in order!

Attachments

• zx-xo-fr.jpg
    zx-xo-fr.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Well, I just had an interesting conversation on the phone with a gentleman from GR Research, where I was planning on ordering the tweeter.

He had nothing nice to say about the Dayton RS180.

This project might be doomed...DOOMED! Just about everything is going to get changed! Maybe I need to go for a jog and figure out what I'm going to do.

Of course GR Research had nothing good to say about the RS180. It's not their driver and they want you to use their "custom" Peerless drivers. I'm sure they already know that the RS180 is twice the driver of any of their offerings, hence why they bashed the RS180. Don't pay any attention to them.

Personally, since they worked side by side with AV123, I wouldn't deal with them anyway. And if I knew back then what I know now about AV123, I certainly wouldn't have bought their speakers (X-Statik's).

My point is, don't let them or anyone else discourage you from using the RS180 drivers or doing this build. Just know how to avoid those nasty 3kHz, 6kHz and 9kHz peaks of the RS180 and you'll be fine.

And sorry for the little "rant". My apologies. ;)

And sorry for the little "rant". My apologies. ;)

Oh, no, I appreciate every bit on input on drivers I've never heard. I suspected that some of his hatred for the driver was because they had their own offering (an india manufactured driver I'd never seen), but it was enough to keep me from pushing the button on that order for the moment so that I could do more research.

I've got the tweeters coming, which I think I might have to do a little listening on anyway because of the back cup difference.

Oh, no, I appreciate every bit on input on drivers I've never heard. I suspected that some of his hatred for the driver was because they had their own offering (an india manufactured driver I'd never seen), but it was enough to keep me from pushing the button on that order for the moment so that I could do more research.

I've got the tweeters coming, which I think I might have to do a little listening on anyway because of the back cup difference.

I don't understand why you went to them for the tweeters anyway. You could have just as easily gotten them at Parts Express.

Bohlender Graebener Neo3W Planar Tweeter w/Back Cup

Hi,

GR Research are obviously pointlessly going to bash other drivers.
Well I say obviously, only because of the grief they gave Zaph
when he had the temerity to realistically comment on their stuff.

BSC amounts relate to placement, basically baffle width determines
the frequency transition point, the cabinet does not define BSC.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Generally yes, but it would not apply to e.g. a square baflle.
A typical bass/mid placement, baffle width dominates.

rgds, sreten.

Thank you sir, that helps tremendously!

Whenever I get around to doing another speaker build, it's going to be based off of my current design (8" woofer and small fullrange driver), yet closely mimic the large "AN-E" bookshelf speakers from Audio Note, even incorporating their hemp 8" drivers, possibly two per channel. This means they'll not only be close to 40" tall, but they're going to be fairly wide as well, about 14" or so.

Probably going to order drivers today. What do you guys think about cabinets with curved sides, like these ones?

ModulaMT

The idea behind curved cabinets is that they help reduce standing waves. Parallel walls trap waves to bounce back and forth thus creating the worst case scenario for standing waves. To be honest though, I can't hear a difference between curved and straight wall boxes.

I used the curved cabinets from Prats Express. I think they are very well built I recommend them. They are somewhat deeper than what I expected so if you are thinking about it, make sure you the dimensions satisfy you.

Whenever I get around to doing another speaker build, it's going to be based off of my current design (8" woofer and small fullrange driver), yet closely mimic the large "AN-E" bookshelf speakers from Audio Note, even incorporating their hemp 8" drivers, possibly two per channel. This means they'll not only be close to 40" tall, but they're going to be fairly wide as well, about 14" or so.

Those look like a decent speaker...did they do that crazy audio note thing with hand-wound pure silver coils and stuff?

The idea behind curved cabinets is that they help reduce standing waves. Parallel walls trap waves to bounce back and forth thus creating the worst case scenario for standing waves. To be honest though, I can't hear a difference between curved and straight wall boxes.

I used the curved cabinets from Prats Express. I think they are very well built I recommend them. They are somewhat deeper than what I expected so if you are thinking about it, make sure you the dimensions satisfy you.

This one looks almost exactly the size I'm planning on making.

Dayton TWC-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Curved Cabinet Gloss Black

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the curves right, I'm trying to find a template I can print and trace but I can't find one that's the right size.

Made a template for the curved cabinet with a Jasper circle jig. Seriously, what can't they do?

I think I'm going to make the cabinet by cutting these pieces and stacking them in layers rather than trying to bend luan around a curve.

Attachments

• photobucket-5929-1312924299487.jpg
    photobucket-5929-1312924299487.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 219
Made a template for the curved cabinet with a Jasper circle jig. Seriously, what can't they do?

I think I'm going to make the cabinet by cutting these pieces and stacking them in layers rather than trying to bend luan around a curve.

Hmmm........

FWIW basic curved cabinets are made by a different process,
look here : Zaph|Audio

Nothing wrong with a labour intensive stacked cabinet, but
it would be a shame not to optimize the stacking profile.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.