new project based on audio nirvana 12in drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
badman said:

Dismount the driver, lay it on top of some adhesive backed cork (available at Michaels Hobby Stores, as well as other sources) and X-acto around the frame. Do 2 layers if necessary.

Viola, flush mount for difficult frame!

Badman,

The cork would be on the outside of the enclosure? I guess if that were the case, I would have the option of running the full length of the baffle?

Allen ...

udailey said:
A vs B
I mean how does one speaker compare against another. If you built speakers other than Audio Nirvana how do they compare to the Audio Nirvana.
Uriah

Uriah,

I think the 10" cast frame is definitely better than the regular 10", and the ambience configuration (in my case 8" regular on top, and the cast frame 10") is far better than without the 8" on top.

When I built them, I wired them so that I could choose whether or not to run the regular 8" drivers or not. Now that I've listened, I don't see a reason not to. It just sounds better with the 8" running.

Thanks Ranger.
I might consider putting a smaller driver on top. Everyone seems to like it and CSA recommends it as well. Is the Ambience 2.8 the same as regular 2.8 except with a hole on top for another driver? Basically, can I just pop a hole in the top of the 2.8 that I built and put another driver in there or do I need more height, depth, width to my enclosure?
Uriah

udailey said:
Thanks Ranger.
I might consider putting a smaller driver on top. Everyone seems to like it and CSA recommends it as well. Is the Ambience 2.8 the same as regular 2.8 except with a hole on top for another driver? Basically, can I just pop a hole in the top of the 2.8 that I built and put another driver in there or do I need more height, depth, width to my enclosure?
Uriah

Yes, the Ambience is just the 2.8 with the driver on top.

After I built my 3 set which was the ambience, I went back and cut a hole in the top of my 2nd set to make it an Ambience. Everything fit just fine.

ranger3 said:

Badman,

The cork would be on the outside of the enclosure? I guess if that were the case, I would have the option of running the full length of the baffle?

Allen ...

Yes, the cork would be on the outside. The cork is also acoustically absorbent, so it improves edge diffraction characteristics. And certainly, you could run the full baffle, with some added benefit!

udailey said:
You have been listening for a long time now. Any new thoughts?
I just bought AN12 (regular not cast). Considering OB or CSA box design. I am curious what kind of imaging you get. For me this is absolutely necessary and wonder what you are experiencing. A lot of people talk of beaming with this speaker. What do you thing about that?
Thanks
Uriah

I do apologize, I totally forgot about this thread (my own!).

I listen to these speakers almost every weekend for at least 8 hours. The burn-in period was quite long, the sound is now more relaxed than I remember.

What can I say? I love them. The lows are wonderful, full, non-lingering with a quick decay that goes well with acoustic bass. My daughter, who's 12 now and into rap a bit turned up the subwoofer and while the windows were shaking with that horrible wooshy sound, I could still hear the nirvanas crisp attack.

The mids are very clear, I imagine this has to do with no crossover. Did I mention I'm driving them with a Unico? I tried some other amps, but being so sensitive, you'd need a very clean sound. I found it too noisy with push pull tubes of medium quality. I love baritone voices with these speakers because of the weight of lower bass. Female voices are not scratchy at all (well depends on the singer I guess!) and when they are nice, they come out beautiful. This is not surprising considering you're not crossing over to tweeters.

The highs, well, perhaps not super-extended. I may add a super-tweeter, I have been toying with it, but I quite like the way they are now, quite transparent. And this sometimes really shows the quality of the recordings.

On another note, when you stand up and move back from the listening position (the room is quite large, 24ftx600ft), even though some of the highs are lost, it is amazing how much sound pressure is still available.

Well, hopefully I'm not too late with this! I'm sure you're enjoying your nirvanas by now. You need good equipment with it.

Jam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.