new project based on audio nirvana 12in drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So Jamh

How would you describe the bass in the larger cabinet size?

Sounds like you have a pretty good rock/PA type speaker going there. If I were you, I'd figure out a cloth grill for that top driver, something thin, as not to diffuse the high frequencies but just enought to be a dust barrier.

Sounds like the amount of damping you added to your cab makes up for its lack of size...good job then. When a lot of us talk of cabinet size, its usually based on the the manufacturors data, and since we're talking about a 12" driver, the focus is going to be on bass extention more than output, which is why most of us would use a 12" FR anyway.

You describe a lively sound and I would assume that you like that mid-bass punch, but what of the mids and treble? Many of us wonder if a 12" driver can do highs very well...what type of music do you listen to, if thats not being too nosey.

Hi everyone,

I will be taking measurements this weekend and then we will see what kind of tuning may be needed. My ears are happy, now the brain's turn. You put a doubt in me that perhaps the decision to cut down on the cabinet size was premature. We shall see.

To set up the stage: the room they're in is fairly large and lively. 23x56ft, with a cathedral ceiling of about 10ft to the sides to 15ft in the middle. The floors are cement partially covered with a thick carpet. The speakers are well away from the back wall (which is not ideal because it's mainly glass) and side walls, so it's easy for bass to get lost in all this space.

I will measure them with a DEQX calibrated system both at 1m and listening position.

Oh, the kind of music I listen to. I guess it's best to describe what I currently like, it changes:

Cat power: The cover record
Tom Waits: Real gone
Portishead: All Mine
Eno: Apollo
Lead Zeppelin: The BBC recordings
Pink Floyd: anything up to 1970

My system is mostly made by me, turntable, phono preamp, amp, all home made. Only the modified sony sacd player was not.

BTW, I want to thank you for all your comments. We're all on a learning journey forever.

Hi Jamh!
If you're happy with your speakers, no one have the right to say you're wrong. But when I'm satisfied with something there's always a little devil that whispers " isn't a little muddy around 1367 kHz":devilr:
Anyway, it would be interesting to hear your opinion if you turn your upper driver around, won't take much time, eh!;)

Cheers
Peter

Ok, here are the measurements for both left and right speaker, at 1m on-axis, and at the listening position. Your comments are welcomed.

It seems like there is a bump, but not too bad, is it?

Attachments

• anjammeasurements.jpg
    anjammeasurements.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 631
Please take a look at the measurements of these speakers at:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1325093#post1325093

I did inverse the top drivers. The sound became a bit more subdued, or a tad darker. I didn't like it as much, but I guess to each their preference. I will say this though, these are in a large room with high ceilings, so perhaps in a smaller room the reflections will cause more trouble.

I am truly amazed at what you can achieve with so little money (not counting the building time of course). No crossover parts to fuss about, or try to isolate.

For a smaller room, you may want to select smaller AN drivers, or add to the volume. But I'll tell you, I am more than happy.

I agree, if you can find a way to flush mount those drivers, it will certainly take your project to the next level aesthetically at least. It does by the way, look very nicely executed. You could play around with that bass hump by stuffing the port with something. The sock method works extremely well for quick experimentation! This will be playing around with the vent Q and mimicking an acoustic resistance system.

Good luck!

Not too bad actually. LF extension's about what I'd expected, & you can clearly see the lift at Fc, and the dip back down to the nominal above this. However, as from about 750Hz the response trend of the drivers is tilted upward, the overall FR is relatively flat up to about 15KHz where the drivers begin to roll off. For a couple of units in cabinets basically far too small for them, this is about as good as you're likely to get. Glad you're enjoying them! :)

Tade,

Thanks for your suggestions. There is a bit of a problem in flush mounting them. They have a bit of an edge, say around 3/8in. I am worried that if I push them in by that much the two magnets would be too close together.

I'll probably end up building an L shape dust cover so that it wouldn't matter anyways.

I'm also considering expanding into the base. It's there anyways not being used. I could cut a hole at the bottom, and make them sort of fit together. Or pass a wide pipe from one to the other. But these are later tweaks. I want to get well used to their sound first. I put on some classical records the other night (specially the opening of tristan), and it was so overwhelming. The strings filled up the space just like water.

A couple of changes to the speakers. First I flush-mounted the front drivers and I have to tell you I was cursing the whole time the people who suggested this and gullible me! The ANs are not circular! And to do this after the formica and glue have solidified to a hardness approaching diamond is not a fun way to spend the weekend!

I also joined the base, making a square hole in the base and the speaker of 10in a side. The Inner dimensions of the base are: 26in x 25in x 12in. Plus where they meet there is an additional 3in x 10in x 10in.

The result was positive. The bass now extends to 38Hz and the curve is more linear. So, definitely worth the effort.

Since the lows were not extending too deep, I got busy and made myself a simple ported amp based on partsexpress stuff, nothing that special, dayton 10in, 250W subamp, crossover set as low as possible, power 1/4 of the way, horn loaded to the 2 ports you see. Here is a picture of the thing:

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 746
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.