New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, in a couple of days (03/18/2016) this device will have been "coming soon"
for 1 year. I have seen several fine examples here where members made their own boards. Did I miss an announcement that idea has been canned for DIYstore.com purposes?

Thank in advance for any updates,

Russellc

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, in a couple of days (03/18/2016) this device will have been "coming soon"
for 1 year. I have seen several fine examples here where members made their own boards. Did I miss an announcement that idea has been canned for DIYstore.com purposes?

The project is not dead, due to life outside this forum I kicked the can down the road quite a bit further than I intended... Any delay (I.E., the last 6-7mo or so...) is 100% mine.

I saw your comment and realized that it was languishing on my shelf, dusted it off and started messing with it again over the last 2 days.

Long story short, and not trying to offer any excuses for my dropping of the ball with this project, I think I've finally found a configuration that is bulletproof and sounds great.

So hang in there, if it all works I'll have a substantive update soon.

Sweet...

The project is not dead, due to life outside this forum I kicked the can down the road quite a bit further than I intended... Any delay (I.E., the last 6-7mo or so...) is 100% mine.

I saw your comment and realized that it was languishing on my shelf, dusted it off and started messing with it again over the last 2 days.

Long story short, and not trying to offer any excuses for my dropping of the ball with this project, I think I've finally found a configuration that is bulletproof and sounds great.

Very interested in building the "official" DIYaudio version! Thanks for your contribution. And of course to Wayne as well.

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Thanks for the response! No disrespect intended, you have contributed so much. Just wondering if this was still in the works.

No hurry at all, Still need to get some headphones, I think the Audioquest Nighthawk will be the one. Also looked at the similarly priced Audeze unit.

F-6 and M-2 back to back dented my audio money for a while!

Russellc

Five hours with my Pass HA running. I use, +-15 volt, R16,22,29 and 32 with a value of 5 Ohm, MCap 2,2uF, OPA627BP and 2sk2013/2sj313.

The sound is very good and no hum but I need some more time because I want to use my others headphones (HD6X0, Beyer and Grados) for a "hard check". :D:D:D

Now, I think on the next step; change B +-15 volt for B +-17 volt, Is this better? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks to Wayne, Nelson, 6L6... and Meldano ;)

I haven't received the new r-core and chassis yet. I´m using the amp on a simple table.

20160321_200502.jpg

I like amps powerful like Beta 22 and Dynahi, but the Pass Ha with 300/600 Ohm headphones (Senn/Beyer) work perfect and it can do something with the terrible LC2!. Yes, sometimes you need to adjust the volume pot if yu want the same volumen level... but in general it work very well and the sound is rich and beautiful. EMHO the sound of Pass HA is better that Zen HA. Pass HA will sound better than F5 HA?...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amp is very stable, offset, volt, Bias, Mosfet temp (run around 55º)... and it´s easy to assemble (nice amp for starters).

these data are not definitive but with a 1kHz tone and 2 volt RMS on the input:

A charge of 30 Ohm the power output is 6,8 volt RMS
75 Ohm 8,5 volt RMS
120 Ohm 8,7 volt RMS
300 Ohm 8,9 volt RMS
560 Ohm 9,1 volt RMS

I think that is a good powel for a HA.

I´m using my onw versión of the Pass Psu, but with +-15volt.

20160321_200303.jpg

When I finish I'd contrast this directly with other similar amps that I have as Lehmann, Dynalo, Zen HA ...

Help please

Used Meldano boards (thanks Daniel)
+/- 14V from the PSU to board
jumped in/out connector (at vol control location
bias is about 120mA to each JFet (.6V/5 ohms)

using XP10 as source

nothing from either channel

Muse op amps an LN37s have voltages at appropriate pins.

Resistance measured from input to output greater than 20Mohm on each channel when powered up.

I'm stuck

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_5234.jpg
    IMG_5234.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 1,032
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.