New Nelson Build dubbed the Arch Nemesis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, OK. I took a lot of time looking at OPT yesterday and it's not easy to find what is needed. Not even close. Would be nice to know more about the Electroprint option.

Running the voltage up and making this a "SS Triode" amp is an interesting idea, if the transistor will handle it. SDJP120R085 should be OK in that regard. But then you'd need a voltage gain stage at the input. It becomes another amp.

I talked to Bud about it at length. From what I remember, he suggested running the voltage up. Way up. Driving the current down so that the Output Tx requirements became more realistic as Pano noted above.

I suppose at high voltage...one could actually run a tube PS.

Easily done, But what would become of the loadline. More bias current always seems to be a major part of the sound of these devices. What effect would dropping this into the mA region have on final sound?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Easily done, But what would become of the loadline. More bias current always seems to be a major part of the sound of these devices. What effect would dropping this into the mA region have on final sound?

With SITs the load-line is the thing, otherwise you would pick a nice Mosfet
or Jfet and operate as if it were a pentode.

With SITs we see that the "mu" is relatively constant within a reasonable
range so that the voltage and current parameters (load-line) can be
optimized for a range of load values at a fixed wattage and not wander far
from the sweet spot. This character is dependent on the specific device.

I have tested my parts to 64 ohms (the Nemesis primary) and down to 2
ohms without the relationships falling apart. As the parts are not voltage
rated to replace a 300B, I am not expecting that they will practically drive
more than a 500 ohm load at 10 watts (for example).

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's the Yamaha 2SK77

:cool:

Attachments

• 2SK77 CURVE sm.jpg
    2SK77 CURVE sm.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 458
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.