New MJK Baffle Article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
he'd suggested any of the PMA series would surpass the DXs on an OB. Have you had this experience?

Finally, I'm open to an active XO. Do you have a sense of when you might release your Active XO DIY plans?

I prefer the Alnicos, but it's been a long time since I've listened to the DX.

The crossover will happen, but it's down the list.

:cool:

Attachments

• DSC_01610001.JPG
    DSC_01610001.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 904
  • DSC_01620002.JPG
    DSC_01620002.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 888
Hello NYCOne,

I have been perfectly pleased with these. The Fostex lives up to it's reputation: a bit forward at first, and then it breaks in and gives me a big smile. It's not overpowering the Alpha in the H-frame for me. However, I work in a concert hall, and I listen to mostly concert recordings, and in real life the bass frequencies aren't pumped up the way they are on the radio.

If you like a lot of bass, then I would recommend two Alpha 15 drivers per speaker, but I don't need that. I'm also running these off a little Onkyo TX8222, which only puts out ~40watts per ch. Get's plenty loud enough for me sitting 8ft away from them.

later,
G

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks. I am exceedingly curious about your L Cao Alnicos too.

Of course I hope they are the audio unicorn you've mentioned in the past, buying something for $100 that preforms like $1000.

Don't count on a price in that category. I am informed that almost all the
cost of the SEAS Exotics at $900 or so was due to Alnico. A similar release
with ceramic is slightly over $100.

:cool:

Hi guys.
Im running 103e at the moment in temporarily baffers but drivers sounds bit edgy .I did some research and it seems some people have used notch filters on the fe103 .Could someone help me with that please?.(have to add that im new to diy speakers)

I was trying to find 85k drivers with no luck..

best regards
Marian

my take

Hi fellows,

here is my attempt on Martin's smart OB. With a bit of Jim Shearer's style.
30mm oak baffle, they are lovely and heavy but as a friend has done it with my specs... on one baffle drawing, you can see the result. Saldy not both baffles... ='( I'm sad to death...
FF85WK are on their way from USA and I'll use old alnico 15" before I buy modern drivers.

Attachments

• 2leftnoright.jpg
    2leftnoright.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 955
  • BPnRola.jpg
    BPnRola.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 920
No life! Lost to ne next crossroad...

Hi there,

having done the XO, after a while of full range playing, and tunes are on.
I know my amp is not powerfull enough, on paper. Volume is more than needed, but no slam, no life, do power manly do handling more than volume?
I know ringings can happen, speakers, baffle, rooms... I have a bass frequency wich resonate like hell, the same in highs, a peak at something like 2K wich make some pipes notes ears killers.
Beside that great speakers have their fans pointing wich amp best matches that very speakers, but in a thread like this one it's almost the inverse, amps are not much in question, the flaws of the design yes... again, the amp is not to be chosen to match and are these statements done on sepcial "perfect" amps?

And what about room... endless quest ;)

Attachments

• OakMJKsOB.jpg
    OakMJKsOB.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 521
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.