New MJK Baffle Article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let me get the drivers in 1st :)

more here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...ver-island-diyfest-2010-a-14.html#post2281225 and http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...ver-island-diyfest-2010-a-27.html#post2284026

185072d1282593213-7th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2010-mjk-ob-playing.jpg

Even with the cobbled together XO they are very satisfying.

dave

NICE !!

Doesn't it have too much bass in wide baffle ?

Doesn't seem to. Have only listened to them outside so far.

dave

I spent most of my time at the event listening to boxed speakers upstairs, but IIRC, the bass qualities of the OB varied significantly depending on the amp; e.g. most notably on Daniel's "transamp" which allows adjustment of output impedance while listening was a big improvement over the vintage Sansui receiver.

Using the passive high level XO pictured elsewhere, it's probably a safe bet that flea watt SE amps would not shine as well as they could with, say an FE126E or Alpair 7 in BLH like the Maeshowe.

MJK's OB design with a Passive XO and Fostex FE108E∑

I've seen at least one person use the Fostex FE108E∑ in Martin's design and I believe I saw Martin say it would be a "drop in" replacement. Are there other folks out there that have tried the Fostex FE108E∑ with a passive XO and the Alphas for bass?

I have a new DIY F5 amp, and I'm seeking efficient, easy to build speakers - Martin's OBs seem like the right ones. I'm seeking input on the direction though. Are there any problems one might encounter with such a set up?

I've seen at least one person use the Fostex FE108E∑ in Martin's design and I believe I saw Martin say it would be a "drop in" replacement. Are there other folks out there that have tried the Fostex FE108E∑ with a passive XO and the Alphas for bass?

I have a new DIY F5 amp, and I'm seeking efficient, easy to build speakers - Martin's OBs seem like the right ones. I'm seeking input on the direction though. Are there any problems one might encounter with such a set up?

I've been thinking of OB myself, they look to be a very good option and relatively easy to experiment with. As far as I can see, the main thing you need to bear in mind with OB is the space requirements. It doesn't look to me as if you can get the best from an OB if you have a small room. I have seen at least one example of a desktop OB, but it relied on bi-amped woofers to make up for the size thing.

p.s. I think he means L-pad.

That information should be earlier in this thread.

dave

I know a lot of forum members are adept with these issues. Then there are people like me, just starting out.

I read the thread a couple of times, and I may have missed the key points - it's a long thread, and I'm just learning the terminology.

In one post a fellow says to use 5W resistors, and another person says use 2W. The 2W fellow uses 22R and 1.8R values, but in the same post says they're not optimal.

When I asked, I was hoping you'd tried padding and had some experience you might impart.

"stock" experience

I cannot comment on the impact of padding the 103 but... mine are built as described in the article, with the FE103, and I enjoy them very much . At the moment, I don't have the inclination, or time, to try padding the 103. Partly because they do sound great as is.

I know that's not much help. Perhaps it will motivate you to try them. They are a relatively quick and simple build.

Ryan

Hi there,

I'll built a passive OB à la MJK. Many thanks for the work done Martin!

Wood no problem, I think I can built the baffle, H frame maybe.
XO no problem, can find parts around.
But speakers...
When I see the price you guys get in North America I want to cry! Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY Larges bandes
The Emnience Alpha 15 cost 65€,
the FF85K out of prod but can be found for 47€,
the Fountek FR88EX is sold nowhere, it seems the shops only sell ribbon tweeters here (not even in France, I have to seek Euro shops!),
sometimes "better" speakers can be found at an almost honest price like the Fostex FX120 at 109€ (normal price 150€)...
and almost half of the speakers of the thread are out of prod or not sold in Europe!

The question is simple, for 100€ a single speaker, not more, what is the best speaker, full range only as no tweeter planned, for the MJK's OB, heavy rock scene but not that loud playback? (OB can do metal, can't they?).

A shop with decent price around:
http://www.europe-audio.com/

Thanks,
Matthieu

If that helps choosing a speaker, here is what I live with, lacking bass and bite, but mids to highs are fine. I hate ear-piercing highs!

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 634
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.