AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ditto.

so you know the next question, right?

how do we get one?
:D

mlloyd1

I am looking how to have a bunch of these made in an economical but controlled way.. Those regulator and converter chips cannot reliably be soldered for the average diy-er (or any diy-er probably!). So the only option is to offer this as a complete unit, fully assembled and tested, so you get a guaranteed working unit.

A group buy is an option, but to limit all the admin chores and make for a quick project completion and delivery, I am also looking at Kickstarter. They take 5% but it may be worth it.

I'll try to progress quickly so you can order as a holiday present to yourself :D

Jan

I would like to test some polyphenylene sulfide SMT caps with Scott and Cyril's rig. I can see how you do this with the SYS2722, (Sine D/A Var Phase) but for those without, wonder whether an "all pass" filter will deliver the -90⁰ phase shift with sufficiently low THD to make it work.

A state variable oscillator can provide quadrature outputs, I think. I used two channels of a good sound card set in quadrature. I swept them in frequency to find the exact null (x Hz/sec from AHz to BHz and just measured the time to find the null) a trifle tedious but works. You might need a fine and coarse sweep if the first is way off. It's a vector subtraction so the null is quite steep close in. CoolEdit does all this easily from the make tones menu.

I didn't push the sound card measurements as hard as Samuel did in his presentation and I don't know (doubt) it would go to -150dB.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would like to test some polyphenylene sulfide SMT caps with Scott and Cyril's rig. I can see how you do this with the SYS2722, (Sine D/A Var Phase) but for those without, wonder whether an "all pass" filter will deliver the -90⁰ phase shift with sufficiently low THD to make it work.

I am negotiating with Cyril's son to get hold of his father's test equipment, I'll let you know if it pans out.

Jan