attachment.php

Attachments

• backer.png
    backer.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 377
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is fed from a floating source like a USB charger or a PowerBank (or a battery). It's not easy to measure any noise including CM. The graph in the writeup was measured with an AP 2700.
If you compare the (CM) noise when powered by a USB charger versus a PowerBank you see a difference, but it is all far below 1mV. My most sensitive meter (a vintage Bruel & Kjaer) shows 100uV with shorted input. The SilentSwitcher shows 300uV on the USB charger and 100uV on the PowerBank. Hard to say which is which.

Jan

Thanks Bill I saw that! You're the man!

Not averse at all - spread the word! Superreg is good and it's absolute noise level is probably unmatched by anything, but in practical use SilentSwitcher has the advantage of total absence of mains junk while the noise etc is so low as to be inconsequential.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Be sure to bring the SilentSwitcher to RMAF if it is practical for you to do so.

Cheers,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe to clarify: I will attend the RMAF show this year again, and if any of you are going, please look me up! I am sharing a table booth with audioXpress in the lobby behind the reg desk, near Parts Express.

Surely will bring both the autoranger prototype and a SilentSwitcher, but these are for show & tell, not to sell or anything (well I leave the AR behind for review). So if you want a SilentSwitcher the best bet is to get one through the Kickstarter project, because I am not planning additional units to sell off. Consider it a Group Buy, but without the hassle ;)

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Another milestone: Linear Audio Volume 13 has been published!

Editorial

Your Editor reflects on 14 issues, 2 books and 7 years and concludes It’s been a great adventure!

Tutorial

Burkhard Vogel, not content with his already immense knowledge of all things noise, finds it's time for Challenging BJT Noise.

Circuit design

Marcel van de Gevel thought it was time that in The valve DAC - Submicron silicon meets submillimetre vacuum.

After several theoretical installments, Giovanni Stochino puts his money where his mouth is and gives us an Audio power amplifier with BEF error correction delivers 150W into 8Ω at 0.0004% THD

Our friend Rudolf Moers is back with An investigation of the screen grid tap - a search for the hidden arguments.

Ian Hegglun is back with another out-of-the-box power amp design as only he can do, with a Current driven Output-stage class AB power amplifier.

Test and Measurement

With two heavy-hitters like Samuel Groner and Bruno Putzeys teaming up, Reed Relay Distortion gets unraveled and exposed.

John Vanderkooy and Richard Mann joined forces to come up with An Open-Source Electroacoustic Measurement System: Part 1: Theory, Practicalities & Acoustic Examples; Part 2: Sound Card Setup, System Characterization and a few more Examples.

Loudspeaker Design

If you want your speakers to sound the same on-axis as off-axis, you need The Axis Equalizer, says Jeff Macaulay.

Enjoy another smorgasbord of inspiring and inventive articles!

Jan