New Linear Audio publication!

Jan if you think it would be of interest, you could send me a copy and I could do the DSP thing for Gary's equalizations like I did for the archival RIAA's. I have a new mail stop,
MS627.

I hope all is well with you, scary thinking of how many hours I've spent at Zaventum.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dear friends,

After seven years, there are so many Linear Audio articles that finding those in your area of interest may become hard.
So, we added a search box that lets you enter keywords and return a list of related articles.

You can enter either the title of the article, if you know it, or just a key word like 'tube amp' or 'filter'.

The search returns the ful cathegory name and the number of articles related to it. In the main 'tiled' section in the middle of the screen all reevant articles will be shown. Actually it works faster and easier than to describe it!

This is a great time saver and lets you quickly find articles you want to read.

I also want to mention that I have extended the possibility to purchase a 'package' of Volumes of your own selection for a significant savings. Not only is the total price much reduced, you also get free shipping!

Select the package from L|A Packages and from the package select the Volumes you want. More Packages may be added in the future so check back now and then.
A great money saver if you want to get the missing Volumes for your collection!

Thanks again for your interest over the past years, and enjoy reading our author's writings!

Jan

Last edited:
Dear friends,

After seven years, there are so many Linear Audio articles that finding those in your area of interest may become hard.
So, we added a search box that lets you enter keywords and return a list of related articles.

You can enter either the title of the article, if you know it, or just a key word like 'tube amp' or 'filter'.

The search returns the ful cathegory name and the number of articles related to it. In the main 'tiled' section in the middle of the screen all reevant articles will be shown. Actually it works faster and easier than to describe it!

This is a great time saver and lets you quickly find articles you want to read.

I also want to mention that I have extended the possibility to purchase a 'package' of Volumes of your own selection for a significant savings. Not only is the total price much reduced, you also get free shipping!

Select the package from L|A Packages and from the package select the Volumes you want. More Packages may be added in the future so check back now and then.
A great money saver if you want to get the missing Volumes for your collection!

Thanks again for your interest over the past years, and enjoy reading our author's writings!

Jan

Hi Jan,

This is a great idea, and the whole LA publication gets better and better. You have done a magnificent job, and it is a gift to the audio community. I for one thank you for all of your hard work.

Cheers,
Bob

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Old barracks ?
Warheads everywhere ?
Auto-ranging ?

Audiophile Terrorist !

Actually I have a bunch of ex-missile nose-cones as subwoofers, so it's not that far fetched ;-)

Jan

Attachments

• P1020318.jpg
    P1020318.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 445
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Volume 12 published!

I just put Linear Audio Vol 12, the 13th issue of my series of printed bookzines dedicated to technical audio and perception, online.

Here's what it's about:

Editorial
Your editor reflects on the ongoing attempts to test for audibility of Hi-res audio and wonders We need a good test for high res audio – or do we?

Tutorials
Christopher Paul asks So What’s Mu with You? and comes up with a set of insightful equations, schematics and parameters.
Pierre Touzelet, our resident mathematician, thought long and hard On driving methods for loudspeaker systems and came up with relative merits of one method over another.

Circuit design
Bill Waslo decided it was time for Something Different: “The Spring” SE Class-A ZGNFB MOSFET Amplifier, zero nfb and single-ended / class A.
Vincent Thiernesse decided it was time for Efficient, unity power-factor, low cost audio power amp supplies and designed one, with sine wave current absorption and inherently good power factor. Douglas Self decided it was time for Rumble filtering – like you really mean it.
Hans Polak made An attempt to design a non plus ultra Phono-Preamp that could hold its own with the best without having to mortgage the farm.

Test and Measurement
Samuel Groner teamed up with Scott Wurcer and the resulting Quadrature Bridge Measures Harmonic Distortion in Capacitors down to −150 dB.

The Way I see it…
By wondering What’s with all this dynamic range? Stan Curtis comes up with some valuable insights.

Book reviews
Hans Polak reviews Esa Merilaäinen’s Current-Driving of Loudspeakers and becomes convinced that for loudspeakers, current drive is in theory superior to voltage drive.
Morgan Jones reviews Horowitz and Hill’s The Art of Electronics, 3rd Ed. and finds it probably the most significant analogue electronics book published this decade.

Letters to the Editor
Stefan Heinzmann, in his comments to Hans Polak - Adding OEO to an existing rule (Vol 10) expands on the relevance of AES48. Marcel van de Gevel looked at Douglas Self - The Devinyliser (Vol 11) concluding that it could be simplified but that other parameters would suffer unacceptably.

Enjoy!

Jan

Attachments

• Volume 12 cover voorkant resized.jpg
    Volume 12 cover voorkant resized.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited: