New ideas for K-55 and PD-5V compression drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone else tried the FS100W or the K55 yet?

I have compared it to a Fane S 8M when hornloaded in a the Avantgarde trio midbass paperhorn, and the JBL 2204H 12" in a 40L box. All three configurations has their own quality.

The Goto S-150+K55 and the Fane has such a unique sound. The horns make them sound unreal, magic, or what you call it. I think I will need to hornload the sub as well to match this magical sound. But I will try a sealed 110L box with a Eminence Lab 12 first to try to save space and time.

The JBLs are clear and relaxed. Sounds a little boxy in comparison to the horns.

Last edited:
Yes, I did the mod again on the FS100W last week, on a train trip no less. I believe the diaphragm is to heeavy and robust for critical listening and the phase plug is very basic, which make me wonder if the WE 555W really is better than everything else on this earth, or if it is just a FS100W/K55 on field coil steroids with an equally basic phase plug and a more suitable metal diaphragm.

Yes, I did the mod again on the FS100W last week, on a train trip no less. I believe the diaphragm is to heeavy and robust for critical listening and the phase plug is very basic, which make me wonder if the WE 555W really is better than everything else on this earth, or if it is just a FS100W/K55 on field coil steroids with an equally basic phase plug and a more suitable metal diaphragm.
"Basic" phase plugs can bandpass HF distortion, which may be a good thing for critical listening in the mid range pass band.

I thought of this. But the Fane S 8M or any other midbass cone driver can do that with less effort i.e. a lot more Oomph!, and without weird distortion. Plus the horn would be less than 4 meters long. I am sure one can hear a little difference in detail between a midbass compression driver and a cone driver but the difference will probably be subtle below 300 Hz. If only the Yamaha could extend lower... But they probably can't. The K55 reached lower than the Yamaha which means there are differences in the drivers. One has phenolic suspension, the other has copper with beryllium gimmick content. The K55 did have about 30 cm longer horn though.

The sound I have now is much more profound than before with the signal horns.

Last edited:
The FS100W has an annoying nasal sound that is probably due to the diaphragm or the phase plug. Switching driver and adjusting the horn throat fixed it.

I also think that 1000Hz is to low for this horn. If the driver has sufficient sound quality then it can go up all the way to the tweeter without much reduction in detail.

It sounds fine with the FS100W but it is not the best solution. I got annoyed with the sound. I double checked the horn using the the same horn except that one driver needed 2cm troat and the other 3.5cm which made the second version a little shorter. About 30cm I believe.

... the Fane S 8M or any other midbass cone driver can do that with less effort i.e. a lot more Oomph!, and without weird distortion. Plus the horn would be less than 4 meters long. I am sure one can hear a little difference in detail between a midbass compression driver and a cone driver but the difference will probably be subtle below 300 Hz. If only the Yamaha could extend lower... But they probably can't. The K55 reached lower than the Yamaha which means there are differences in the drivers. One has phenolic suspension, the other has copper with beryllium gimmick content. The K55 did have about 30 cm longer horn though.

The sound I have now is much more profound than before with the signal horns.
After digging out after a 1000 year flood, I recently finished building and testing a long folded horn.
The four fold horn was built to see what low frequency could be achieved using various drivers, and how it would sound compared to conventional front loaded cone speakers.
The horn loads down to about 75 Hz, unfolded length is around 80 inches, a bit over 2 meters.
Tried two compression drivers, an EV DH1AMT (1.4" exit 3" titanium diaphragm) and a Jensen Hypex (screw on .75" exit, approximately 2.25" aluminum diaphragm) their response fell off below 400 Hz.
The sensitivity was unexpectedly low, only around 105 dB midband.
Even so, distortion was respectable, at 350 Hz less than 1% at 106 dB one meter ground plane for the DH1AMT .
At 250 Hz the distortion rose to over 10% at only 94 dB.
In free space, low response drops quite a bit, the horn is much more usable against a wall.
The frequency and polar response is quite ragged, even after much EQ the horn does not sound very good.

Next, a Goldwood GM-85/8 sealed back 4" cone driver (outside diameter is 5.5") was tried, it made it to 300 Hz, even though it's FS is 470 Hz. Upper bandwidth drops off around 1600 Hz
By drilling two 1/2" holes in the sealed back and using a compression chamber of approximately 100 cubic inches, low frequency extended to 75 Hz.
The driver now could go fairly low, but not very loud, a "full range" 5.5" inch cone diameter foam surround speaker in a small sealed box (200 cubic inches) put out around the same level.

It would be interesting to see how this horn loads with the FS100W/K55.

Art

Attachments

• Long Horn.jpg
    Long Horn.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Dh1,GM,GMod.png
    Dh1,GM,GMod.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 315
  • Long Horn Plan.png
    Long Horn Plan.png
    884.6 KB · Views: 308
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.