New ideas for K-55 and PD-5V compression drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The mod works!

No charts yet, you will have to trust the good hearing of Swedes. All I can say is that it works. Two sheets of office paper was all it took. The driver withstands EQ slightly better now. Without EQ you don't notice much. But I can push it with EQ until I am satisfied. The difference is subtle, but it is there. I here more bass when comparing LR24 60-1900Hz and LR24 100-1900Hz, using 6 db gain at 106Hz of EQ on both trials.

Attachments

• DSC_0769.jpg
    DSC_0769.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are only very very few people that
share your preference of using the 15A only above 200hz.
I disagree. The 100's of people who heard the three demos at Kiron in Paris all enjoyed and commented on the quality of the 15A high passed above 200Hz - even tho not all knew where the high pass was. ;)

My point is, you need a big horn to play cleanly down that low. As cool as the modded driver is, it still needs help. Don't cross it where you "think" it sounds best, cross it where it actually does sound best. You can find that with listening tests, if you keep an open mind.

People (including me) will get all excited about running horns and compression drivers down into the bass. My advice; do it only if it sounds better than a cone driver in the same range. That's the point, isn't it? Sounds better.

Radian probably defended his quest to run everything possible down to 100Hz, and I agree that it should be done, for good subwoofer integration, as long as it sounds good. I was really worried before I made the mod, that it would not reach down. It sounded very strained below 150Hz and with added EQ. Now I am not so worried, but I will have to wait until the sub is ready.
Right now my 1.75m deep, 2-80cm diameter Goto-ish horn seem big enough. I am not sure the last 100Hz are particularly hornloaded, but with EQ, it works.

I am just done with it and only had 20 minutes listening time last night. As long as I am not listening to Dimmu Borgir, it sounds good, and extremelly natural and detailed.
The only distortion I heard during my quick test was when I raised EQ to 13dB gain, instead of just 6dB at 106Hz with a LR24 XO@60Hz.

Speaking of metal music. I think music genres with distorted guitars and synths are a phenomenon started around the 50's in the rockabilly scene, when they started to do sound experiments with cone speakers. The Zombies claim to have been the first to invent distortion sounds when one of them during some fight cut a whole in a guitar speaker. I tried Metallica on the compression driver midbasshorn and it did not work at all. It is a shame, but I can still use the horn for other cleaner types of music. I may build an American style hornloaded cone driver for metallica

Last edited:
<snip>

Speaking of metal music. I think music genres with distorted guitars and synths are a phenomenon started around the 50's in the rockabilly scene, when they started to do sound experiments with cone speakers. The Zombies claim to have been the first to invent distortion sounds when one of them during some fight cut a whole in a guitar speaker. I tried Metallica on the compression driver midbasshorn and it did not work at all. It is a shame, but I can still use the horn for other cleaner types of music. I may build an American style hornloaded cone driver for metallica

Something is amiss.

Properly done the speaker or horn should not care at all if you are playing classical, jazz or heavy metal, imo.

Synth did not come into regular use, especially in pop music until after Bob Moog did his Moog Synthesizer in the late 60s. And really was not present to any great degree until the 70s with the advent of commercial polyphonic synths. They were used extensively in Disco music.

For the most part distorted guitars are an innovation of the 60s, culminating in what Jimi Hendrix did with it. Very few recordings from the 50s with anything like a "fuzz tone" guitar.

There was no "rockabilly" in the 50s, since "rock" had not yet been invented. There was Jazz, Country, Western, "Negro music" (blues and very early "soul", gospel), and Elvis (Elvis took "Negro music" and copied it for "white people") which became rock n' roll. I think I have it about right.

_-_-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
400Hz is far from 80Hz, but 250Hz is closer. 3GGG, what do you use below that?

My point is that Metallica/distortion guitars does no sound so good in a 80Hz compression driver. The distorion sound down low is weird in a midbass compression driver.

What I said about harshness and the JA6681B was about treble, where I have compared it to a Beyma TPL-150 and a true ribbon, and found them sounding much smoother. If you only have heard the JA6681B then yes, it is probably the smoothest driver you have ever heard. But I bet if Bear A/B compare the treble from the JA6681B and the SA 8535, he will like the SA8535 better above say 6 kHz.

Last edited:
400Hz is far from 80Hz, but 250Hz is closer. 3GGG, what do you use below that?

My point is that Metallica/distortion guitars does no sound so good in a 80Hz compression driver. The distorion sound down low is weird in a midbass compression driver.

What I said about harshness and the JA6681B was about treble, where I have compared it to a Beyma TPL-150 and a true ribbon, and found them sounding much smoother. If you only have heard the JA6681B then yes, it is probably the smoothest driver you have ever heard. But I bet if Bear A/B compare the treble from the JA6681B and the SA 8535, he will like the SA8535 better above say 6 kHz.

I use A RAAL ribbon from 8K and also have Yamaha JA4281B to play with.

Okay, thanks for the historical correction.

So you can have your JA6681B crossed at 250Hz and play Metallica at full blast, and have that sound as good as on the SA 8535+woofer speaker you showed me?

Define "full blast"??

But yes at average listening level at listening position (about 15' from the speakers) of ~<100dB.

Keep in mind that the 6681B is 109db/1w, while the SA is 100dB/1w. The TAD 1201 is also ~100dB/1w (that's the 12" below the SA). That's pretty much a 10dB differential.

Aside from the fact that I don't actually own any Metallica, it works fine for me.

What's more, I have used the same system in my LR for live monitoring of two electric guitars, occasional keyboard, bass guitar and V-drums (electronic drums w/real drummer), no problem. We play direct into a mix board and live through the system. No complaints. I have live digital recordings of the sessions... but of course it won't sound the same at your place, but maybe it would sound ok... if the bass was able to knock you back a few feet. :)

But I do have other examples of "metal" music that can be played, if called upon to do so.

Now, if ur playing at *average* levels above 100dB/SPL, I'd say you need to work the system differently. Peaks higher sure, but not average. At the point where average is higher than 100dB SPL, I think one is closer to PA/SR in concept.

_-_-

I just had a party, and we played everything from Bob Marley to Gothenburg metal, and I am starting to think compression drivers were not meant to be driven lower than 200+ Hz.
I had my Goto S-150 at party levels all night, even so high it fell out of place, and it was just fine - nicely sturdy built horn *pat on the back*. I could have never played at this level at below 200 Hz without ears hurting.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.