• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

@cdsgames / @soundcheck...

Do either of you know if the Katana driver has made its way into the latest PiCorePayer? 3.5.0, March 18? I assume not, but always good to ask the experts!

Also, on a 'fully integrated solution with soldered wires' for a setup like the Katana, see the attached on how I added my standard high-current-capability plug to the Boss 1.2 (which I liked a LOT... and which wasn't necessarily improved by the addition of a Kali, depending on your preferences. That's how good the clock and power implementation was... really looking forward to hearing the Katana based on that experience!)

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg

filtering on Katana is a step above Boss . Unlike the boss we have not used datasheet theory but we did the legwork and actually measured, changed components and chose the best one. 2 inductors of 4.7uH (but different core material) do not have the same output

Of course I wont talk about damping LC filters...

It took a long while but we are programming boards in the past days.

Since this is a Master DAC setting have to take that in consideration.

Regrading power Katana needs 5.5V maximum , but you can also feed the dual rail +- 15V for the opamp stage

You can feed 5.5V max to ess9038 as well (we have a small connector on board)

Hi,
If I had understand correctly, to acheive the best SQ, we may use 3 low-noise psu, 1x5.5v for rpi, 1x5.5v for 9038q2m board and 1x -+15v for the opamp stage.
Am I right?

You can feed 5.5V max to ess9038 as well (we have a small connector on board)

The only thing about power thats important , its low noise . We have hundreds of decoupling capacitors (sprinkled everywhere) on board and a few supercaps so it should not matter too much the impedance of the PSU

Hi cdsgames,
I would like to power the triple stack with a Paul Hynes PS which should have a low impedance connection to the board.
Regarding this point the power header on the 9038 DAC board seems to be a much better solution than the USB-C connector.
Is it possible to power the complete triple stack via the power header on the DAC board?
Thanks

Matt

It's not about USB-C or whatever.
It's about having these cheap (or any) jacks and plugs in the path (power or audio) in general.

All these jacks/plugs degrade the performance. And it usually gets worse over time.

Bottom line.
Nothing beats a fully integrated solution with soldered wires.

And that's how I run my gear. ;)

Yeah I forgot about that...we do have a battery connector on the main ess9038 Katana dac that you can solder (and can power the whole stack)

We tried to give as many options as possible. Happy diy :)

The total height of the stack from the bottom of the RPI to the top capacitor is 51mm including 5mm mounting standoffs at the bottom of the RPI.

Am I right that the mounting standoffs and the studs between the boards are electrically isolated from the boards so that there is no ground connection going through the standoffs into the surface under the RPi?
Thanks

Matt

@Greg

Katana support is available in the kernel since several weeks.
It's also available in the rpi rt-kernel sources.

Basically all distros offering latest kernels will support Katana automatically.

You guys should stay away from distros running outdated/poorly maintained kernels anyhow!

* Rasbian is currently running Linux kernel 4.14.50+
* ArchLinuxArm Linux kernel 4.14.54

Basically the two major base operating systems are already supporting Katana with their stock kernels.
That doesn't necessarily mean that your distro of choice, even if based on above, is supporting it already! They might run different kernels.

PicorePlayer handles things a little different. Since they offer customized
audio kernels they follow a different release scheme. Sometimes they are
ahead of Rasbian (which is known to be rather slow) sometimes they are even behind it. Like now.
As it was mentioned earlier - they are working on it.

Then, many of you demand being able to select a DAC and its configurations from the GUI.
That's the part where the real delays with these distros are usually generated.

However. Just changing a line in a single file (/boot/config.txt) will enable Katana.
Playing around with alsamixer will do the rest.
It seems only the SW volume control is available through Alsamixer for Katana.
You'd only have to configure your playback engine (squeezelite)
for using HW/Device volume control. There's no need for a distro to
add a config dialog. That'll speed things up!

Thus. A manual SW setup probably won't take more then 10 minutes even if u run a manual configuration via ssh.

Looking forward to the DAC. :D

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi.

To add some more detail to the kernel/driver post from earlier today.

Katana offers 4 controls through it's driver (alsamixer).

1. Volume Control
2. DAC Filters
3. Deemphasis
4. DOP on/off

So. There's some integration to do for the maintainers. The DAC filter
selection is probably to most interesting feature for most people.

I'm not sure yet if the described "Power off/on" of the outputstage
is just a HW switch or if it can also be done via MCU/GPIO through SW.

We'll see.