• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Just a few more words on how Katana sounds. I don't impose my listening impressions on anyone , but want to give an idea of what I hear(take it with a grain of salt)

First do not think that Katana is an ESS sabre DAC and has a specific sound signature . That signature was because of the monolithic opmap stages from ESS EVM (that everyone copied) . Katana was designed by us with almost 0 EVM schematic (output). Its not about the DAC ic...80% from what you hear is how the DAC ic was implemented

The combination of a great clock (lowest jitter ever in any of our designs) + buffer right next to the DAC ic makes music be very revealing . You will hear ..everything. Best words to describe it "crystal clear".

The supercaps with the film capacitors right next (3mm) to the DAC ic provides incredible power on bass and multiple SMD film decouple hi frequency (cymbals etc) , but understand this is not an artificial bass booster , just enough electrons (since bass needs more DC)

At last the opamp stage in class A has, what I best describe , as analog sound. All frequencies seem to be handled with extreme ease (I think its because of Class A amplifier and of course the genius of Andrew that designed those opamps sparkoslabs.com )

Katana , I hope , will change the RPI audio from low(er) quality to true hifi competing with the best commercial offering of sub 1000$ category . If you like streaming music from whatever services , if you like open source software and its freedom , especially if you enjoy incredible sound quality at reasonable prices , Katana was made for you.

Your generation (whatever generation you are) needs to change from those Bluetooth , mp3 and low quality audio and listen to a proper audio system. Its (almost) like when you seen HD video you cant go back to standard definition (well not quite since eyes can process thousand times more information that ears)

Yes I am biased (since I am one of the designers of this dac) , but frankly Katana is a gem.

Use good PSUs , (at least one for RPI and one for Katana) and give it about 1 week to open up (supercaps and film caps)

Now , I will stop my BS . I gave my best.

Planning for a vacation with wife and kids.

View attachment katanabox1.pdf

Last edited: