• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Yeah, I was searching for this thread, but couldn't find it. I just received an email that someone replied to thread (I don't remember subscribing to it, tho...? lol)

@cdsgames Anyways, what's the ETA looking like now that you've got the production boards going?
And, what're your thoughts on Volumio? Do you have a preferred player for the RPi and your Allo boards?

Can't wait!

Hi all, I'm sure it's in one of the 185 pages of the thread, but
is this a DAC that can be fed from a CD/SACD player? (transport)
Or is it one of those computer thingy's only.
Thanks in advance.
The Kali needs an i2s input. Most CD/SACD/DVD players don't output I2S, so you would need a converter (SPDIF to I2S). Or you could try an RPi instead of your player and be surprised how cool and convenient this is.

Hi all, I'm sure it's in one of the 185 pages of the thread, but
is this a DAC that can be fed from a CD/SACD player? (transport)
Or is it one of those computer thingy's only.
Thanks in advance.

Short answer is NO. Long answer is same as mbrennwa's reply. If you really want this DAC, then easiest way is:
- buy raspberry pi 3
- mount on it Katana DAC
- install playback software (volumio, ...)
- rip your CD to flac files
- store a flac files to USB disc
- connect USB disc to raspberry pi
- (optional) put CD player to basement :)

Can we separately power each board?
What is the input rating for the topmost HAT?

You can power the micro controller with 5 to 5.5V (and power the rest of the system from that power) and it will create dual rail 15V OR you can input your own 15V (like LPS)

You can power the ess HAT separately at 5-5.5V max

You can power the RPI separately from the above.

Short answer is NO. Long answer is same as mbrennwa's reply. If you really want this DAC, then easiest way is:
- buy raspberry pi 3
- mount on it Katana DAC
- install playback software (volumio, ...)
- rip your CD to flac files
- store a flac files to USB disc
- connect USB disc to raspberry pi
- (optional) put CD player to basement :)

Thanks guys - I think.
I just bought the CD/SACD player :eek:

Cheers