• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

MCLK output

Hi guys,

What frequency is the Kali's MCLK output? Is it the selected clock's direct output (e.g. 45/49 MHz) or some fraction of it (e.g. selected clock / 2 -> 22/24 MHz)?

I ask this because not all DAC chips can handle 45/49 MHz MCLKs...

If it's the direct output, then it would be nice if the v2 board could output MCLK and MCLK / 2 as well, something similar to jlsounds's I2SoverUSB

Hi cdsgames,

I love your products. What's the status on this project? I would love to buy a bunch for my Pi's
Also an off topic question regarding the Kali. I've ordered another Kali a week ago for another project. Only problem, sossolutions in the Netherlands has no supplies and doesn't know when they will get new boards. I rather need it soon (two weeks)
What's the status on the Kali? Or are you ramping up for the Kali II and fading out the Kali?

Regards

Sorry I missed this..

Project is advancing quite nicely , we had some problems with components , in 2 weeks time I will give a full update.

We have lots of projects on the pipeline and Kali is performing quite well so Kali 2 is not a priority, but will come at one point.

The filters in Volumio are now working OK in 2.1 and 2.2 mode.
At present, though, I'm using the Kali+Piano 2.1 DAC in 2.0 mode in conjunction with Moode 3.5. I found some settings which give full audio spectrum output through both the Main and Sub DAC outputs. I'm taking the L channel from the Sub out and the R channel from the Main out, and I'm hearing improved location and definition of instruments. Easily the best sound I've yet had from the RPi.

John

can you expand on the above ?

The settings in Moode which seem essential to getting it to work like this are:
1.Using software volume.
2.Resampling to 24bit. (Or playing 24 bit files).

I've only done this with Moode 3.5, using the RT-Advanced Kernel. I don't know whether the above settings will work with the other kernels or with earlier versions of Moode.

John

The settings in Moode which seem essential to getting it to work like this are:
1.Using software volume.
2.Resampling to 24bit. (Or playing 24 bit files).

I've only done this with Moode 3.5, using the RT-Advanced Kernel. I don't know whether the above settings will work with the other kernels or with earlier versions of Moode.

John

Seems it works in dual mono..

Seems it works in dual mono..

Depends on what you mean by 'dual mono'. As I understand it, dual mono would be the L channel + and - outputs coming through one DAC and the R channel + and - through the other. That would enable balanced operation.
What I have at the moment is what you might call 'dual stereo', with each DAC putting out L and R channels. I'm just taking the L and R from separate DACs.

Last edited:
Hi Jonners,

I don't like this: cannot reproduce it... grrr
If I can reproduce it, I will get back to you.

(Off topic: Have you been listening to the TDA1387 dac hat, already?)
Hi Bommetje,
What can't you reproduce - the problem with wav files?
Yes I listened to the TDA1387, both without and with Kali. Kali improves it a lot but the treble can be a bit harsh and I much prefer the Piano.

John