• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

It's just simple, if generated a test tone only on the right channel, left no signal. My Kali just doesn't play files/music whatever in mono right channel(left is ok).

Confirmed!!!!! @cdsgames, you need to look into this. Verified with latest Kali board that arrived today.

But you can put a tick in the box for 352k8/384k. And from my very quick testing, 16 bit data, 32xfs BCLK, left/right channel swap is fixed.

Yeap we know. This is due to silence detection.

I can program the unit to have SD kick in only when both channels receive silence.

However in normal operations everything should work beautifully.

Confirmed!!!!! @cdsgames, you need to look into this. Verified with latest Kali board that arrived today.

But you can put a tick in the box for 352k8/384k. And from my very quick testing, 16 bit data, 32xfs BCLK, left/right channel swap is fixed.

Yeap we know. This is due to silence detection.

I can program the unit to have SD kick in only when both channels receive silence.

However in normal operations everything should work beautifully.

OK, amateur hour...... Silence detection...... What??? Why???

You realise some software deliberately plays zeros (silence) during pause...... It is very deliberate. It serves a purpose. If Kali received zero samples, it send them to the DAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silence detector is necessary on FIFO ...in order to reset the buffer (between songs) . Otherwise due to two time domains you will over/under run.

However Clive , if you want us to send the 0 samples to the DAC we can also do that without a problem. Every few hours you will have a overrun/under run and Kali will reset then the buffer.

OK, amateur hour...... Silence detection...... What??? Why???

You realise some software deliberately plays zeros (silence) during pause...... It is very deliberate. It serves a purpose. If Kali received zero samples, it send them to the DAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@cdsgames

Can the piano be powered externally on these pins?

Attachments

• IMG_0546 copy.jpg
    IMG_0546 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 635

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is this why I can not get any 44.1/16 files to play? I'm using a RPI 3 with Kali to Buffalo 2 via I2S. Using the Volumio player.
Wave files at 192/32 or 196/32 play fine, and mp3/web radio also fine. But my music collection (all ripped at 44.1/16) sound terribly distorted, and only play thru 1 channel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi ,

our whole team is working on finishing the whole drivers/software...give us another 48h

Frequency cutoff will be available on Max2play and Volumio on GIU...for the rest of players it will be available as a command line.

Hi There
Is there any documentation on how to change the frequency cutover on the Piano 2.1? I need to change to 2.0 operation until I get the sub.
How do you access the Pure Path software thru the Pi?
Help appreciated

I have been listening to the Kali reclocker and Piano in plain vanilla 2 channel mode for the past week in my office system. I've been running MoOde software on a Pi2 through a modified Quad 306 and MarkAudio Alpair 7.3's in a bass reflex enclosure. Although I only have experience with the HifiBerry Dac+ Pro and IQ Audio Pi-DAC+, the combo is very impressive for the money in my opinion: Excellent timing and rhythm, quick and agile bass and lots of information presented so you can get deep into the recording. Its the best I've had from the Pi with off the shelf boards.

Can I conclude from these words that the Kali is not working in combination with an ES9018 Dac?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I cannot provide support for RPi, Allo Kali re-clocker or Buffalo DAC.

Ioan is obviously going to support his Kali and Piano as a combination that works together. Outside of that, I haven't seen anything that constitutes technical info from Allo, about using the Kali with other devices. You need to know what you are doing. You need to know about the hardware side of things, what input your DAC expects. You need to know what the RPi is outputting....... You need to understand there are choices made in drivers/software and configuration.

Or does it work when I add dtoverlay=simple-bclk-64fs to the /boot/config.txt (I use picoreplayer)?

Unlikely. AFAIK, Greg/Steen/Paul stick very close to their upstream picore kernel, based on the "downstream" RPi kernel source. The simple-framework for simple-card driver and simple-bclk-64fs overlay is only available via my rpi-4.4.y-simple branch. I'm not getting into the business of providing binary releases.

In any case, if you are using piCorePlayer, you should be using squeezelite as the playback software. The default behaviour by squeezelite (unless they have modified it) is to open the ALSA device for 32 bit playback, for 16/24/32 bit material, so you shouldn't be having a problem with 16 bit material. It should be output by default as 32 bit. Having said that, I'm not using piCore, so I don't know for sure. You'd have to ask them.

Hi ,

yes the problems comes from Buffalo specific need. However even if your file is 44/16, what needs to be done is to force the output of the player (SBC) to 32 bit...that in exchange will make the right BCLK for buffalo dac to play.

As of right now we are working hard on the drivers and testing with all players on market...so we should release them soon (but still a few days later than what we wanted)

As soon as thats done , we will have all kind of tutorials on how to have Kali work with external DACs including Buffalo.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is this why I can not get any 44.1/16 files to play? I'm using a RPI 3 with Kali to Buffalo 2 via I2S. Using the Volumio player.
Wave files at 192/32 or 196/32 play fine, and mp3/web radio also fine. But my music collection (all ripped at 44.1/16) sound terribly distorted, and only play thru 1 channel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!