• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

I'm planning to use the Kali reclocker with Raspberry Pi 2 (Moode Audio) and my DDDAC-board. Hopefully this will solve my problems of having only mono audio with red-book (16bit/44.1kHz) material. And ofcourse I'm expecting a better sound in general too. My current I2S-reclocker is a Hifiberry DAC+pro.

I have a Hifiberry DAC+pro I use as an I2S source for my TDA1541A based DAC with MoOde. I had no issues with red book appearing mono. Does that mean you get stereo at higher bit and sample rates?

I listen to mostly red book files. Good though the DAC+ Pro is, remember its primary role is not as an I2S source, the Kali is a major step up even with v1 firmware I have.

^Yes, with higher bit rates I get stereo sound and therefore I'm using Moode's upsampling function to force output always to 24 bits. It might just as well be a problem with the DDDAC. I'm no expert with these digital signals. Fortunately I haven't noticed any audible problems with the conversion from 16 to 24 bits.

within DDDAC setup, the TI 1794a is configured in NOS mode with external filtering. The technical documentation of 1794a says, that in this configuration the input signal is "right-justified audio formats including 24-bit audio". The WaveIO (standard data supply for DDDAC) is configured to deliver 24Bit format, too. If you have another source (like RPI) you have to take care, that the same I2S dataformat is used. I have faced the same problem with RPI and DDDAC with Mono Output when playing RedBook format. I think RPI is then sending 16Bit I2S signal, which not supported by DDDAC configuration. There where some mods available for RPI to force 24Bit output, but I was never able to manage this. I now running Odroid C2 which is sending 24Bit I2S Signal also for RedBook audio.

I'm wondering if Kali can help you with this problem. When I understand it correctly, Kali is not changing the I2S data format, but is only reclocking!?? In that case, you would still have mono output!?

I will give Kali a try within my DDDAC setup. Can you please confirm the power consumption of Kali board standalone? I have read in this thread, that it is 100mA at 5V. Is this true? In the online shop I always read 5V / 3A but I guess this value is for a complete setup with Sparky and Volt!????

yes, sorry for the confusion. There is a "I2S - right-justified (RJ) converter" on the mainboard of DDDAC which handles data preparation for the 1794a in its NOS configuration. I guess this conversion chip array needs the 24bit I2S input, too.

Thank you for confirmation regarding needed power!

I thank you gentlemen for your enlightening comments about the 1794 I2S signal handling. I suppose that there is no other way around this red book problem than to force the I2S source output to 24bits. That's perfectly fine by me, since I haven't noticed any degradation is sound quality so far with this 16->24bit conversion. I'm just anxious to see if I can hear any improvements between DAC+pro and Kali.

Last edited:
I thank you gentlemen for your enlightening comments about the 1794 I2S signal handling. I suppose that there is no other way around this red book problem than to force the I2S source output to 24bits. That's perfectly fine by me, since I haven't noticed any degradation is sound quality so far with this 16->24bit conversion. I'm just anxious to see if I can hear any improvements between DAC+pro and Kali.

Why is this being made more complicated than it actually is... Doede expects I2S input with BCLK = 64xFS, which he then converts to the format reqd by the PCM1794 DAC chips, in external filter mode. This is no different to the earlier point about ES9018 requiring BITCLOCK=64xFS, regardless of 16/24/32 bit depth.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
actually I'm using Hifiberry Dac+ Pro with my raspberry pi3. On the raspberry I installed a free AROIO operating system from the german manufacturer Abacus. Aroio uses Raspberry Realtime Kernel 4.1.21 and provides a squeezebox client and DLNA Player with a included convolver with 9 FIR Filterbanks. It has a webinterface for configuration.
For generating a FIR Filter you have to plug a UMIK-1 into the raspberry and you have to buy Audiovero Acourate Software to record logsweep and generate FIR Filters.
My problem is, that as soon I installed the KALI reclocker I can't play the logsweep on the right channel anymore. The logsweep is played at 96khz sampling rate and the reclocker buffer always runs empty when the logsweep file is played on the right channel. Its a squence like 1second sound, 1 second silence, 1 second sound, 1 second silence and so on. The Kali reclocker shows empty buffer during silence beriod. It doesnt happen with Hifiberry Dac+ pro or with Piano DAC 2.1 when used without reclocker.
I dont't know if ist a software problem or a problem with the Kali.
So if someone accidentally also has the same Hardware combination and wants to download AROIO(its free and you can play the logsweep as long as a UNIK-1 is connected to the raspberry), only to see if its not a defective Kali here. You don't need Acourate for playing the logsweep.

Attachments

• 2016-09-29.png
    2016-09-29.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 584
  • 2016-09-29 (6).png
    2016-09-29 (6).png
    156.8 KB · Views: 575
  • 2016-09-29 (4).png
    2016-09-29 (4).png
    134.4 KB · Views: 560
  • 2016-09-29 (2).png
    2016-09-29 (2).png
    198.3 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
ok, I was able to reproduce the problem. It's just simple, if generated a test tone only on the right channel, left no signal. My Kali just doens't play files/music whatever in mono right channel(left is ok). It does permanatly run out of buffer or looses connection.

Do others have the same problem or does this happen with all reclockers?

Last edited:
Why is this being made more complicated than it actually is... Doede expects I2S input with BCLK = 64xFS, which he then converts to the format reqd by the PCM1794 DAC chips, in external filter mode. This is no different to the earlier point about ES9018 requiring BITCLOCK=64xFS, regardless of 16/24/32 bit depth.
So, are you saying that there's a more sophisticated way around this problem? Can it be done in Moode software somehow? Pardon my propably silly questions, but I'm a total noob with Linux. Or can you or someone else point me to some source of information, so that this OT won't bother the readers of this thread any more.

I ordered a Kali and Piano Dac from Allo.com last week and they arrived, very well packed, in less than four days.
I totally agree with the positive things said in previous posts about the sound of this combination. It's giving the best sound I've yet heard from my Rpi2 running Moode.
One odd thing is that when I touch 'Pause' the last second or so of music repeats 3 or 4 times before the player goes into pause. The same thing happens with Kali + Mamboberry LS (not sounding quite as good as Kali + Piano btw). I've seen reports of the pause issue also happening on Volumio with Kali + Piano, so it seems that the common factor in this is Kali.

So, are you saying that there's a more sophisticated way around this problem? Can it be done in Moode software somehow? Pardon my propably silly questions, but I'm a total noob with Linux. Or can you or someone else point me to some source of information, so that this OT won't bother the readers of this thread any more.

if Martin, uses my "simple2 branch to build his kernel from, in /boot/config.txt ....

Code:
dtoverlay=simple-es9023-audio,384k
dtoverlay=simple-bclk-64fs

That's what I use for driving DDAC and Buffalo from RPi's.

Hi Jonners ,

we are checking , in my setup there is no problem (but I use max2play)

Anyway we should have an answer soon.

I ordered a Kali and Piano Dac from Allo.com last week and they arrived, very well packed, in less than four days.
I totally agree with the positive things said in previous posts about the sound of this combination. It's giving the best sound I've yet heard from my Rpi2 running Moode.
One odd thing is that when I touch 'Pause' the last second or so of music repeats 3 or 4 times before the player goes into pause. The same thing happens with Kali + Mamboberry LS (not sounding quite as good as Kali + Piano btw). I've seen reports of the pause issue also happening on Volumio with Kali + Piano, so it seems that the common factor in this is Kali.