• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Some pop sound when switching from PCM to DOP will be present. While we decreased the level , we are unable to completeley remove it. Its marked in the manual

We are still working with Ess Sabre (they are aware of the issue) to try to fix further in a firmware revision

Actually I cannot use my Katana 1.0 right now because its sounds like a smurf. Volumio 2.444 and 2.447 seems to have this issue. Im really disappointed. I already reflashed my sdcard thinking it was a corrupt sd.. But still the the smurf sound is present.

it was a bit mundane. it worked shortly. very inconvinient.. but with this quality of Katana it cannot live by the fact that it can beat sub $1000 DACs at this price point. It needs to have the integrity on its claim.

Is this a manufacturing defect? cold solders?

No Marudo not a manufacturing defect , sometimes this issue happens especially with RPI connectors. Please note that we took extra care with our board connectors and used connectors (between our boards only) that are considered much better that standard RPI connectors.

This effect is caused by “salt” gold.
When the connector contacts are gold plated they will be rinsed/bathed afterwards. When this bath is polluted by the many rinses, the residue will build up on the contacts. Sort of salt crystals. These crystals increase the electrical contact resistance. With small voltages this restance is fatal for data transport across the contact. Resulting in...

Cramolin is great stuff and highly recommended for any electronics with connectors but unless the boards weren't properly washed after assembly I'd be surprised if flux residue were the issue, even more surprised if contact oxidation were the problem with a new assembly. Jeffry's idea about a dirty rinse could be the issue but any contact cleaner or PCB wash will fix that.

Last edited:
...e.g. a not starting DAC that I had with my Allo Kali mounted on the Pi. Shaking the housing and restarting solved this issue in most cases..
The standard pi terminals are poor quality - guess in this case also the terminals on the kali board.
I dont know.. I only detached the Katana with the Rpi 3B+.. This new version of RPi is made in china..

Should it be the contact be blamed?

probably it might also be the connection between kali and piano DAC.

Will this CRC from Belgium good enough to be used in the terminals of pi 3 b+?

Attachments

• CRC.png
    CRC.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 367