• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Joined 2018
Paid Member
...Or will they arrive together autistically without input from the customers?

Typed this from my phone, and it auto-corrected... I was going for "automatically" lol.

That's great, cdsgames! Btw, I'm using allo's 5V 3A power supply in the 2 PSU configuration to power the MC. I'm hoping it's adequate.

Is it recommended to pick up a 19V PSU from allo for the isolator, or would my current configuration work just fine? Also, I'm guessing the acrylic case would no longer work with the isolator on the Katana stack?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quite a nice review from Amir.

He seems to lack some IT knowledge. That might cause minor
issues on the "apples vs. apples" front.
What? :)

And I am wondering what DAC filter he's been using.
The choice of filter should also have an impact on the measurements.
I used whatever was the default. I will look at the others later.

I 'd also guess that he used the Allo $11 SMPS for the PI. Hmmh. Many of us experienced that PI power matters too!
Sbooster is OK. I also have it. Not my first choice though.
I tested the unit with dual linear supplies: my Agilent/Keysight powering one board and the Sbooster the other. It made no improvement over the switcher powering the PI so I continued with that for the testing.

Hi Amir,

You can ad ROON endpoint to your Volumio by programming it by hand. First you need to unlock the ssh in Volumio to have access.
On the ROON forum you can read how to program ROON by hand.

Here are the steps I use
Roon on Volumio:
SSH access on volumio

For security reasons, SSH is disabled by default on all versions after 2.199 (except first boot). It can be however enabled very easily.

First method: file

Just create or copy a file called ssh in /boot . You can do it right after flashing Volumio, by creating it in the "Boot" partition of your SD Card.

Second method: DEV UI

Navigate to the DEV ui by pointing your browser to VOLUMIOIP/DEV or volumio.local/DEV or ip/DEV.
Find the SSH section, and click enable. From now on your SSH will be permanently enabled.

Putty access to Volumio:
user: volumio
password: volumio

Then:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bzip2
curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

Enter password again.
Enter Y
Sit back and install

Roon should now be running

Last edited:
Hi Amir,

You can ad ROON endpoint to your Volumio by programming it by hand. First you need to unlock the ssh in Volumio to have access.
On the ROON forum you can read how to program ROON by hand.
Hi Jeffrey. I have read that and others have suggested the same. The issue is that in the past I had tried to get Roon bridge working with Allo products and after spending quite a bit of time, it just would not work. So I have just lost patience in trying out more of that. :) Rather spend the time getting more stuff tested.

All is not lost as Allo folks are kind enough to send me a DietPi image which should have RAAT support in there.

And clarifying, Roon works out of the box with Volumio. It uses Apple Airplay protocol. And indeed I have played a bunch of music through it that way.

The problem was with testing as Apple Airplay only supports 16 bit data which is insufficient for measurements (I need 24 bit). So it was in that context that I had to use a local thumb drive for testing.

For nth time now I found an issue with Katana 1.0 using volumio. Whenever I soft restart, the songs during play or stream sound like characters in Smurf murmuring or a fast forwarded tape or VHS. I don't know if Im the only person who encounter this issue. Upon using BubbleUPnP or Musicbee via streaming, the smurf-like sound disappears. I have no issue in my Digione and Usbridge running on volumio.

What could be the issue here?

Im using the RPi 3 B+.

I contacted Michaelangelo. He directed me to Allo. I thought it was a software bug.

Allo should address this and hopefully this issue will not be in Katana 1.2 using volumio.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
For nth time now I found an issue with Katana 1.0 using volumio. Whenever I soft restart, the songs during play or stream sound like characters in Smurf murmuring or a fast forwarded tape or VHS. I don't know if Im the only person who encounter this issue. Upon using BubbleUPnP or Musicbee via streaming, the smurf-like sound disappears. I have no issue in my Digione and Usbridge running on volumio.

Im using the RPi 3 B+.

I contacted Michaelangelo. He directed me to Allo. I thought it was a software bug.

Allo should address this and hopefully this issue will not be in Katana 1.2 using volumio.

I have had an issue similar to this as well. Soft restart causes a weird, almost buffering-like issue. I found I had to completely unplug the device in order to fix it. :/

what is tve advantage of having roon in volumio instead of using roonbridge from dietpi or ropieee? Or picoreplayer that should also work as roon endpoint?
contact michaelangelo.. I suppose its a philosophy..

volumio is free.. roon is so commercial.. expensive too..

however volumio is now going mainstream on subscription like roon.. tide may change..

cheers

Hi murado,

the question was not roon vs. volumio, but I was wondering why jeffreyD was proposing to install roon by hand in a volumio application (did I understand this right?) while there are easy to install roon solutions for pi on the market I mentioned above.

Our posts crossed. Thanks JeffreyD now I got it..

Last edited:

Im using the RPi 3 B+.

It was fixed in the firmware already.

Me too, I have try Moode and Volumio and problem the same. And sometimes, when I change to play PCM to DSD, the volume increasing. Some "pop" sound when play next song also orccur.

Some pop sound when switching from PCM to DOP will be present. While we decreased the level , we are unable to completeley remove it. Its marked in the manual

We are still working with Ess Sabre (they are aware of the issue) to try to fix further in a firmware revision