New build questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do! Haven't got the time anyway. I have 3 Quad 63's and a 57 so I do know what I'm missing, hard work and danger. lol

I've never made a planar magnetic speaker but I always figured they would be harder, what with the framework for holding and aligning all the magnets and so forth... seems like that would be tedious.

I built my last set of ESL panels and power supplies from scratch over a long weekend... piece of cake. And as for the danger; well, so is a lamp if you stick your finger in the socket!

You must have a crap Ferrari then! lol. I still prefer my planars to the Quads I have. Especially in the bass department. My Planars are full range and do not require sub woofers, the bass is very tight and not muddy like the Quads.As this is my opinion you are quite liable to disagree. Horses for courses, I'm still learning myself after building over 60 full range planars, ranging in size from A4 up to 7' x 2'. Each to his own anyway.

Hi,

no, James, I'm fully with You.
I'd prefer nearly any decent speaker to the Quads.
In almost 30years of involvement in ESLs and loudspeakers in general, I never heard a really good performance with Quad ESLs.
No bass no highs and absolutely no dynamics.
To be honest, the concept of the ESL63 and its heirs is imho one of the most seriously flawed ones.

jauu
Calvin

I've heard the Quad ESL-63 and the newer ESL-2805. The 63's was paired with the Gradient woofers so the bass was quite impressive. I wasn't overly impressed with the sound of the ESL-2805. It was easy to make the bass sound clip (not soft clipping but rater a clearly audible click sound) and for the upper range I actually prefer the sound of my Acoustat Spectra 11's. However the acoustics of the listening room was far from optimal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.