New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An audio buddy and I are going to finally start on our Aleph 30s this coming weekend.

As these are dual purpose boards, is there an Aleph 30 schematic – is the one on the Pass website applicable, and/ or are there any specific instructions on setting up the boards as Aleph 30s?

Later I’ll be doing two mini Alephs – is that the same schematic? Any instructions?

Thanks Kindly

rick57 said:
An audio buddy and I are going to finally start on our Aleph 30s this coming weekend.

As these are dual purpose boards, is there an Aleph 30 schematic – is the one on the Pass website applicable, and/ or are there any specific instructions on setting up the boards as Aleph 30s?

Later I’ll be doing two mini Alephs – is that the same schematic? Any instructions?

Thanks Kindly

Instruction's whats that.. i have had so many emails about instructions and i simply have to say. I dont even have one. I do with brian did one.. As most comments come back as lack of support and how to build the amp's But he did a wonderfull job on the gan clone's he should do the same for the mini a's and aleph's.

rick57 said:
fecl

Yes thanks. If that's it, I’ll just give it a crack

Cheers

It is how i built all 4 of my amps.. One resistor pair at a time :D

I just spend 45 min tracking down a 60hz hum in my audio path.. I borrowed a pair of Ribbon Tweeters teh 2Gsi's and well now they sound better.. I cant wait to get my transformers so i can bi-amp these :D 4 amps 4 drivers :D

How well would this work as an Aleph 30 case?

One of the larger Hammond cases:
From eg (my local dealer) www.evatco.com.au/chassis.htm

The tallest aluminium chassis is only 76 mm (3 inches) – probably too tight.
The perforated steel chassis are 132 mm (5.2 inches).

Aluminium has 4 x higher thermal conductivity than plain steel.

* Anyone know a way of getting good conducting through 20 gauge steel, from the devices to the heatsinks?

Possibly over the front plate, a piece of clear 6-8 mm Perspex over (colour paper printed by laser with eg a logo) as a face plate.

Or anyone tried any other suitable good cases.

Since I wrote my last post:
“Getting good conducting through 20 gauge steel, from the devices to the heatsinks?”

I now see you can get heatsinks with mounting flanges.
But if you have to cut a slot through the case to allow the flanges in, I’d be inclined to cut a much bigger hole – for improved heat transfer, and just mount directly to the heatsinks.

Anyone tried other good & resaonably priced mass produced cases on other class A amps?

rick57 said:
Since I wrote my last post:
“Getting good conducting through 20 gauge steel, from the devices to the heatsinks?”

I now see you can get heatsinks with mounting flanges.
But if you have to cut a slot through the case to allow the flanges in, I’d be inclined to cut a much bigger hole – for improved heat transfer, and just mount directly to the heatsinks.

Anyone tried other good & resaonably priced mass produced cases on other class A amps?

Im going to see if i can find some solid chuncks of steel Maybe :D or other metal.

Tarasque

A very interesting design.

So the heat passes to the heat sinks via the (rectangular) aluminium tubes, which acts as the bottom plate. Excellent!

Do you think there’s much loss or slowing of heat dissipation this way?

I’m going to building two 10s and two 30s:
Your method apparently works for 20 watts (would be fine for 10 watts), but I suspect would need fans for the 30 watter.

Do you agree?

Rth~0,15C/W - (newbie Q) I take it that's a high rating for silicone pads - hard to find?

rick57 said:
Tarasque

A very interesting design.

So the heat passes to the heat sinks via the (rectangular) aluminium tubes, which acts as the bottom plate. Excellent!

Do you think there’s much loss or slowing of heat dissipation this way?

I’m going to building two 10s and two 30s:
Your method apparently works for 20 watts (would be fine for 10 watts), but I suspect would need fans for the 30 watter.

Do you agree?

Rth~0,15C/W - (newbie Q) I take it that's a high rating for silicone pads - hard to find?

Rth~0,15C/W means that the delta temperature across the pad increases 0,15degrees for every watt pasing. ie for 30W dissipation the delta temperature across the pad is 4,5 degrees C.
The pads are used by ESAB in their welding machines. Do not know the type or brand.

I'm also in the process of building a 50W (Aleph5) using similar design. The heat dissipation is 120W per channel. The tube now has a length of 0,4 m. Using twice the number of heatsinks.

I dislike fans. Would rather throw away an inefficient speaker than build a large amp with forced convection. My speakers have 92dB efficiency and when I apply more than 10W audio power, my neighbours will join the party.

I'm also looking at building an X600 alike to see how the this compares with the Aleph 5. The circuit board design is ready. Just like to know if there is anyone out there that would be interested in buying a board as well to bring down the cost.
If I can get to 15 boards, I can get the 60sqInch board for $20,-! (= per channel; 8 driver boards and front-end board)
I would post the layout if I could figger out how to include an image in the post.

Hey Brian,

Thought you'd like to know that the headphone amp I built using your boards is going to be the first component reviewed in the new section at 6moons.

6moons - Reality Check

It'll be interesting to see how our DIY stuff compares to the big dogs! The amp goes out by courier tomorrow!

Nelson,

If you check out the site, please note that I have informed Srajan to make sure that the article notes that I can't / won't fill any requests for orders unless I first get some sort of license arrangement in place with you. Frankly, I don't have the time to start up any sort of audio company anyways, but I want to stay above board on this.

Brian,

Same note more or less goes for you, seeing as it is your board design!

Cheers, Terry

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just thot i'd post (not quite finished) a pic of Chris' miniA.... the other amp is a ptrototype RH84

dave

Attachments

• minia-proto-rh84.jpg
    minia-proto-rh84.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 967
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.