New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gain on Jason supplied kits

Hi

With the supplied parts kits, what is the gain on each of the mini Aleph, and the Aleph30 (I have some of each), or how could I calculate it? (It's to determine the need for a preamp with gain x, if using a tuner as well as CD).

By changing what parts, can gain be boosted, to avoid the need for a preamp?

Thanks

Has any one built up there mini a's yet ?

Well i got one done today.. and i have to admit im not impressed one bit with this.. The smd version that i have running curently sound ALOT better than the new run..

Attachments

• img_2299.jpg
    img_2299.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 904
Jason-

Could the new one be in need of break in time?

Have one channel stuffed sitting on my bench. Have not had time for the other yet.

May I ask for a close up shot of only the main brd?

I will use it as a comparison to mine to ensure I stuffed it correctly before I fire it up.

rabstg said:
Jason-

Could the new one be in need of break in time?

Have one channel stuffed sitting on my bench. Have not had time for the other yet.

May I ask for a close up shot of only the main brd?

I will use it as a comparison to mine to ensure I stuffed it correctly before I fire it up.

I can only think it would be due to break in time. the blue mini a's SMD have tons of hours on them..

here is the pictures.

http://jleaman.ath.cx/minia

BrianGT said:

I had the SMD boards running for quite a long time before I mailed the pair of boards to you, so give the new boards some more break-in time.

--
Brian

There both running right now.. bot new ones that is.. id lke to know what is dferent about the input tho.. the smd ones are much more sencitive than these ones..

I have been running the blue ones in passive mode these new ones are on the quiet side..

right now they are now workint at 20V rails.. not 15..

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
jleaman said:

There both running right now.. bot new ones that is.. id lke to know what is dferent about the input tho.. the smd ones are much more sencitive than these ones..

I have been running the blue ones in passive mode these new ones are on the quiet side..

right now they are now workint at 20V rails.. not 15..

The SMD boards don't have the extra circuitry on the input, which was introduced with the A30 and A60. Read the service manuals and compare to the Mini-Aleph manual. The SMD boards also don't support balanced inputs. Think of them as version0 of the Mini-A boards, except with SMD parts.

You can also assemble the new boards in the same configuration as the SMD boards.

--
Brian

BrianGT said:

I had the SMD boards running for quite a long time before I mailed the pair of boards to you, so give the new boards some more break-in time.

--
Brian

Hi Brian,

How long would you reccon is required for break-in?

Had my mini finnished last week and liked the sound from the first minute!

Also have some photo's for your galery of my mini. Do I use your normal mail address?

I used 23V rails and 1,3A bias. This allows to crank-out about 20W of power @7Ohm.
This dissipates about 30W per fet and found that the IRFP052 can handle a higher junction temp and gives a bit more safety than the 044 0r 240.
The result is a mono block that way's about 4 kg and measures 18Cm wide, 12Cm high and 20Cm deep.

Tarasque said:

Hi Brian,

How long would you reccon is required for break-in?

Had my mini finnished last week and liked the sound from the first minute!

Also have some photo's for your galery of my mini. Do I use your normal mail address?

I used 23V rails and 1,3A bias. This allows to crank-out about 20W of power @7Ohm.
This dissipates about 30W per fet and found that the IRFP052 can handle a higher junction temp and gives a bit more safety than the 044 0r 240.
The result is a mono block that way's about 4 kg and measures 18Cm wide, 12Cm high and 20Cm deep.

If yor at 23V rail's Maybe we can get 25V and not hurt it. Humm..

jleaman...I measured the temperature carefully, and estimated the junction temp to be close to 100 degC.
At these temperatures there isn't much room for error!

I took a lot of precaution when mounting the fet's. In my amp the fets are mounted on am aluminium tube of 5 x 10Cm (4mm thick)
A 0,4 deg/W sink mounted on eiter side.
the sinks are 47degC after 1 hour of operation. The alu tube is about 55degC the mounting surface of the fet 65degC.
At 0,8degC per watt Rjc this is 90degC for the junction of the fet.

If you look at the IRF derating specs, you will find that my operating point only has a margine of 15W dissipation or 20deg margine in junction temp.

Now it becomes really clear why Nelson is using the world supply of fets parralell in his amps!

Tarasque said:
jleaman...I measured the temperature carefully, and estimated the junction temp to be close to 100 degC.
At these temperatures there isn't much room for error!

I took a lot of precaution when mounting the fet's. In my amp the fets are mounted on am aluminium tube of 5 x 10Cm (4mm thick)
A 0,4 deg/W sink mounted on eiter side.
the sinks are 47degC after 1 hour of operation. The alu tube is about 55degC the mounting surface of the fet 65degC.
At 0,8degC per watt Rjc this is 90degC for the junction of the fet.

If you look at the IRF derating specs, you will find that my operating point only has a margine of 15W dissipation or 20deg margine in junction temp.

Now it becomes really clear why Nelson is using the world supply of fets parralell in his amps!

What kind of isolation pad's are you using between the fet's and heat sink / Material. ?

jleaman said:
Has any one built up there mini a's yet ?

Well i got one done today.. and i have to admit im not impressed one bit with this.. The smd version that i have running curently sound ALOT better than the new run..

Hi Jleaman,

By the looks of your closeups you may have forgotten to ground the '-in' while using unbalanced inputs? That would certainly explain the low sensitivity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.