New 15" full range - FANE

I wonder if your Fane W-bin's large throat and reflector type allows more highs overall than say the Klipsch "rubber throat" and its "ramps" - ?

a little 18" driver Fane type with ported back chamber - I'd like to sim it but don't know the distance between its speaker baffle and rear of cabinet YouTube

Klipsch Belle plan - the Belle was basically a "flattened" La Scala https://www.audioasylum.com/usr/1/12706/klipsch-belle-plan-3-3-web.jpg

I think you'd be better off with an open baffle (maybe with wings) - it was cool that it simmed pretty nice in Nigel's W-bin

resonance looks around 90Hz

rnJKshC.jpg

I used to have a pair of the Fane 15" cabs, with McKenzie 200W drivers in them, (can't remember what model it was in the late 80's) with a 1"CD crossed at 1K [a bit too low actually, many diaphragms were used!] and while it sounded OK, it was certainly missing something.
Maybe I should get the sawdust flying again!

- @hitsware - it might sound like it has some bass outdoors even in that stuffed 2 cubic foot box - I've run a nasty (sounds horrid inside - up close) little Klam8 outdoors with a high cutoff and cheap Sammisound 8 inch FR and at 150ft "loud" and at 75ft like a rock concert. How long it would play at that level = :D My klam 15 and probably klam 12 sound pretty good - with my atrophied shoulder muscles, are too heavy to lift upon a tripod. For the little klam, maybe some melamine sponges in the front chamber would help fidelity.

the little klam had maybe 10dB more to go than this video which overloaded the camera's audio up close
YouTube

Last edited:
I will just say that my setup is most definitely loud enough to be heard outside. Have not yet tickled the drivers more than maybe +/- 0,5-0,7mm in the box, toyed with them and got +/- 2mm in a small U baffle (with lots of EQ).

They are in an 80 liter closed box, dampening material is a mix of egg-crate shaped open cell foam (double layer just behind the driver), and 100% natural wool (behind the OCF). all the sides are internally coupled together by small beams, with an "x" of 2x2cm thick strips of spruce centered on every internal surface the beams are connected, and there is a solid ring of 3mm hard carbon steel around the connector cups (used tec7 as "lube" to get them in place = permanently stuck). So nothing fancy, but more than adequate. Building material is 15mm OSB with an extra layer of 12mm cheap but quality ply on the front baffle to make the drivers flush. Might get some 3-6mm ply on the sides for aesthetics, but still undecided.

Starts rolling off at 80hz. I also got that "bump" centered 90-100hz during sims, but it's not at all significant/noticeable in my room.

Last edited:
at that low price (shipped) and good reviews (Amazon) that Lanzar may be very good - plus could use it with guitar as one reviewer did.
I don't know where to get Fane in the US since MCM sold to Newark. My 250TC did not bump in a Karlson K12 - but it had no low bass - it played clearly without artifacts which can happen if the midrange is too anemic.

Last edited:
You know, I didn't know which to choose, the 12" or the 15". I expected more treble and smoother sound from the 12. But my interest for laaaarge fullrange drivers was created by trying out 3", 4", 8" and then 10" drivers. I love the dynamics and powerhandling of a larger driver.

So this pushed me towards the 15" and this is fantastic. The response plot is pretty normal for any fullrange driver and the large cone and efficiency make for stunning dynamics and low distortion. It's in the same league or much improved from various Lowthers and derivatives I have heard (owned a pair of Lowthers myself).

So if you want loud and powerhandling, go 15". Regardless of how well the 12" handles it, the 15" will be better and it is good.

And if Fane decides to make and 18" tricone fullrange and it meets their standards for release, I WILL buy it. :D

I know, right? The only reason anyone ever bothers with subs and fast/waw constructions is because the fullrange driver isn't big and manly enough. ;-)

Seriously though, the 15" sounds very good, not rough at all (unless the recording tells it to). People will say that the fullrange mid is so good, one takes deficiencies in treble and bass for granted. I think treble was already good with many drivers, by now we have some fullrange drivers that are also very capable for bass (and still good at the midrange thing).