New 15" full range - FANE

Acquired a pair of the Fanes today.
Had them on test earlier in the day:
2xnd864.jpg

Top end is just as nice as the 12" Fane FR

Probably due to age etc. This would be a great driver as with the 12" TC for low powered SET's and the like. Both are modern day high sens drivers with a modest everyday working man budget with much potential and outcome for a one driver no xover solution. Looking good!

It's very nice that people are trying these out. Reasonably priced, so it's not like you are sacrificing a lot to try them out. It seems most are happy with the performance, even if it does have a rising top end, that is a bit too much on some music.

My next step will be getting the boxes finished, getting some perforated alu sheets, and a speaker grill, sandwiching some OCF between a sheet and the grill. A bit like a more permanent variant of what SubSoniks did in the 12-250TC thread. It may take some time though, a lot of things on my to do list.

15-300TC in a Klipsch Belle looks pretty decent - I'll look at KaffiMann's sim for comparison

back chamber here = 50l think should be "58" for a Belle - I borrowed the record from an earlier sim
- a really low Q 15 could use 30l back chamber
qmne9wQ.jpg

Last edited:
Ha Freddi, that's cool. I actually decided to get a pair of them after realizing I could always use them as vintage-y woofers if I didn't like them fullrange after a while.

I have done some early measurements on my own design (one built so far and still playing in). It's pretty cool, but I'm waiting until I finish the other one and they are well played in before I give a final verdict. So far, it hits 20Hz at -1dB compared to 1kHz, so yeah, pretty cool. ;-)

Acquired a pair of the Fanes today.
Had them on test earlier in the day:
2xnd864.jpg

Top end is just as nice as the 12" Fane FR
The 15s are destined for corner 100L sealed boxes, in a semi-permanent fix.
We are remodelling the room in the pic, over the summer and into Autumn, so the speakers will be built and installed as part of that process.

It's a look back to the 50s/60s when corner speakers were far more popular than they are today.

What a lovely setup you have. Are those the 12s in the red cabinets?

How do the 15s sound in the free air? Any bass to speak of?

What a lovely setup you have. Are those the 12s in the red cabinets?

How do the 15s sound in the free air? Any bass to speak of?

Yes, the 12s are in the red cabs.
The drivers in free air do give some bass, or at least an idea of how they will perform at the bottom end.
In sealed boxes they are not going to be bass monsters, regardless of the size of the driver, but if they perform like the 12s I'll be happy.

Finally got my Fane 15-300TC into a W bin.
Still needs cabinet corners and castors on to finish.
The top end sounds very good for a W bin.
Bass is OK.
Not the best finish with black paint but it does cover the wood.

I was a bit disappointed with cabinet build.
For some reason I had problems with accuracy. I cut out the pieces by size from diagram and didn't cut them to fit what was already built, this was a mistake.
I made a mistake with one panel and had run out of right size panels to replace it, so I cut some scrap wood I had and it didn't quite fit right despite profuse rasping to get it to size. Maybe taking ab it more time and care would have helped.
What is frustrating is I have built 5 of these previously and they were all good fits. Having said that there has been a year gap since making those other 5.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Here's my share of Fane 15'' OB

I put together a quick OB panel for Fane 15'' last night and directly hook up different version of my DIY amps FW F4, ACA and AJ to see how it sounds compared to my other favourite FR drivers.

One word. Amazing. I'm totally surpised with the amount of details, sound stage and very clear highs that this driver brought back in OB. There is a also quite a bit of bass surprising for OB coming off from a single driver. I have a new favorite FR driver added for my OB collection.

Btw, I compared FANE 15'' to SAL driver which is 5 times the cost of FANE and FANE stood up very well. I even prefer the mids of FANE to SAL.

40276131150_87140d61ef_b.jpg

Yes, the 12s are in the red cabs.
The drivers in free air do give some bass, or at least an idea of how they will perform at the bottom end.
In sealed boxes they are not going to be bass monsters, regardless of the size of the driver, but if they perform like the 12s I'll be happy.

I know they wont be bass monsters, especially in OB, but as long as they go reasonably low I can deal. A little EQ can work wonders. I play electric bass and I really like the way OB does bass.

Here's my share of Fane 15'' OB

I put together a quick OB panel for Fane 15'' last night and directly hook up different version of my DIY amps FW F4, ACA and AJ to see how it sounds compared to my other favourite FR drivers.

One word. Amazing. I'm totally surpised with the amount of details, sound stage and very clear highs that this driver brought back in OB. There is a also quite a bit of bass surprising for OB coming off from a single driver. I have a new favorite FR driver added for my OB collection.

Btw, I compared FANE 15'' to SAL driver which is 5 times the cost of FANE and FANE stood up very well. I even prefer the mids of FANE to SAL.

40276131150_87140d61ef_b.jpg

Looks nice. What size baffle are you using? Are you going to do another baffle as well?

The baffle size is 30'' x 38'' x 1''1/2 solid wood. I had good result with this size. This is just my 1st attempt. I'm thinking to do something like this below with Fane 15'' on top and Eminence Beta 15'' in the bottom in a U-frame in the back.

The image of 2 Fane 15'' on the left baffle only photoshop but that gives an idea of my next project.

By the way, I had good bass with H-frame. No need to do any EQ. The bass can go down easily to 25-30 Hz with no EQ on H-frame for OB
42087936031_e7d3b189a4_c.jpg

I found something similar with fostex drivers in the past. It's fine at low volume because the cone resonances are not excited too much. What is there, gives the sound 'air' and human voices take on a certain presence. Both result in increased listening pleasure. But sooner or later you'll be turning it louder on your favourite tracks, and some of them will excite those resonances and you become familiar with them, you recognize their presence. Then you find even at low volume you can hear the annoyances. Slowly you start avoiding certain music and certain recordings.

Eventually you look for a different driver.

One cone treatment that I have found useful is to smear some silicone on the backside of the driver, just around the edge of the cone near the surround, about 1cm wide strip all the way around. It tends to damp some of the cone resonances that have modes at the edges. And also on the back of the whizzer cones, near their edges, just a light smear on the back. The silicone doesn't harden (you want the stuff that doesn't harden, used as a flexible sealant) and acts to dissipate energy of resonances.

Sorry for the really late reply. But you actually have a really good point in your comment. And this is something that I have learned how to live with over the years. Each and every speaker has some type of fundamental sound to it. In my perspective a really good speaker can play wide variety of music very good, but still there is some type of music or better yet with some speakers there is just some tracks, which those particular speaker play exceptionally well. In my experience these OB Fane speakers are the best DIY-speakers that I have heard in that regard. You can throw at them such a wide range of different types of music and they sound really good. To me personally heavy rock music sounds just amazing on these speakers. Would be really hard to point out why it feels and sounds so good to me, but that's just how it is.

All the negative things that I can think of regarding my current setup is mainly, that I would love to have a huge room with good acoustics. In a perfect world I would love to try out some class-A amps and especially tube amps with these speakers in a big room. The geek inside of me wants to know how these speakers would perform, when there is more than just a fraction of their capability in use. Would they sound less Hi-Fi when there is more than couple watts of power thrown at them? Would all the details and in my case all the OB greatness be there, when there is more than those couple watts of power in use and lots of room around the speakers?

I am really looking forward with all the projects that you guys have on this topic. Really looking forward to hear your experience with various setups with these awesome drivers.

Bass is OK.

Finally got the plastic corners on and castors so easier to move now.
Getting used to the sound of it now, the mid's seem quite pronounced.
Bass is not bad and for a W bin treble is quite good.

Open Baffle - woofer with Fane

Hello Evryone,

Someone point me to this fane. Seems really interesting.

I'd like to build an open baffle, full range, with these speaker for my first DIY baffle. Is this the thread/place to ask some basics questions ?

My question are :
- How to calculate the size of the front plate ? Any recommandation for this speaker ? Can I start with a 40-45 cm width ?
- In the future can add a woofer speaker ? How to handle different efficiency ? Any recommandation for a heavy bass speaker for an open baffle already using this FC-152F01TC ?
- Well same question for the trebble part

Thank you in advance !

Regards,

edit : Part of the answer .... ? But can I have a front plate smaller ? Something like 17" or 18" in width ?

The baffle size is 30'' x 38'' x 1''1/2 solid wood. I had good result with this size. This is just my 1st attempt. I'm thinking to do something like this below with Fane 15'' on top and Eminence Beta 15'' in the bottom in a U-frame in the back.

The image of 2 Fane 15'' on the left baffle only photoshop but that gives an idea of my next project.

By the way, I had good bass with H-frame. No need to do any EQ. The bass can go down easily to 25-30 Hz with no EQ on H-frame for OB
42087936031_e7d3b189a4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Bass is OK.

I was a bit disappointed with cabinet build.
For some reason I had problems with accuracy. I cut out the pieces by size from diagram and didn't cut them to fit what was already built, this was a mistake.
I made a mistake with one panel and had run out of right size panels to replace it, so I cut some scrap wood I had and it didn't quite fit right despite profuse rasping to get it to size. Maybe taking ab it more time and care would have helped.
What is frustrating is I have built 5 of these previously and they were all good fits. Having said that there has been a year gap since making those other 5.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Have you measured a response from that yet? It's only I thought that cab naturally started to cut-off at about 500Hz.