Need to build JC 2 preamp

I have found that a power supply cannot be all things to all people.
It is like designing a 4 wheel drive vehicle that can also cross a lake on its own, and be entered into a road race. It is an interesting design challenge, but it is nearly impossible.
Now, to me, the first thing that a power supply has to do is to regulate pulsating DC to non-pulsating DC and set a nominal DC voltage. That is about all that the LM317-337 does really well. The rest depends on following circuits, AND capacitors.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
Look, I'm the 'instructor' here! I will have to send you to the principal, if you continue to talk back.:razz:

Sorry Sir I promise I will never do it again.

Attachments

• pinnochio.gif
    pinnochio.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,478
john curl said:
I have found that a power supply cannot be all things to all people.
It is like designing a 4 wheel drive vehicle that can also cross a lake on its own, and be entered into a road race.
<snip>
Now, to me, the first thing that a power supply has to do is to regulate pulsating DC to non-pulsating DC and set a nominal DC voltage.

What? No more Porsche?

And the rest? Noise, RF ingress, etc...? Out of the blue these are non issues? BTW, LM337 has less than 30dB ripple rejection at > 100KHz. And the load and line transient responses (something you just mentioned these days as being critical) are absolutely horrendous, e.g. +/-0.6V output voltage transients for a +/-1V line voltage step. See the data sheet (DOH!).

gk7 said:
and for those who think the power supply is to simple, here is something cooked "a la Walt Jung" (stolen (whith minor modifications) from his book OpAmp applications).

C'mon, that's a dual tracking variable power supply - you certainly don't need that.

Here's a link to the Jung regulator, you can further simplify the schematic to adapt to your (less demanding) requirements. You may simplify the current sources (perhaps use a cheap JFET), you may not need the startup schema (if you adopt an earlier version of the same regulator) etc...

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Improved_PN_Regs.pdf

syn08 said:

C'mon, that's a dual tracking variable power supply - you certainly don't need that.

Here's a link to the Jung regulator, you can further simplify the schematic to adapt to your (less demanding) requirements. You may simplify the current sources (perhaps use a cheap JFET), you may not need the startup schema (if you adopt an earlier version of the same regulator) etc...

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Improved_PN_Regs.pdf

I know the link and the schematic is from 1997 (no "cheap FET" at that time).
BTW it works quit good. But if you present something better you are welcome.

I have deliberately assigned numbers to the pins (see attachment).

Line Driver:
1 not connected
2 OUT
3 V- (-17V)
4 GND
5 V+ (+17V)
6 + IN
7 - IN

Phono:
1 + IN
2 V+ (+15V)
3 V- (-15V)
4 - IN
5 OUT
6 GND

Power Supply Filter:
1 -V out (-15V)
2 +V out (+15V)
3 -V in (-17V)
4 +V in (+17V)
5 GND

Attachments

• pin_numbers.jpg
    pin_numbers.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,718
If have placed the photos I made from the JC-2s inside here (they include a link to download the full resolution original too:
http://hal9000.at/JC-2/index.html

Capacitor replacement:

I refer to the part numbers used in the attached schematic.

C18a C18b (left and right) will be replaced by wire. In my ML-1 they are located on the copper side of the mainboard.

C16a, C16b, C19a and C19b will be replaced by polypropylene capacitors. These caps could be placed on the copper side (maximum diameter is then 15mm) or on top where the maximum diameter would be 20mm except for C19b which is between one line module and the power supply filter. This placement only allows for 14mm diameter.
Maximum length is 45mm.
Space limitations rule out most "boutique" capacitors.
These I use: Vishay-Roederstein MKP-1839 with 160 VDC
4.7 uF (41.5mm x 15.5mm) for C16a, C16b and
2.2 uF (31.5mm x 13mm) for C19a, C19b

Attachments

• jc-2 fb.gif
    jc-2 fb.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,913