Need opinions for 10" pro woofer + horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I do not think there is a 3rd party measurement of the 10" but the TD12M exists and maybe you can start with that as a ref point.
AE Speakers TD12M - drivervault

Thanks Doug, apparently the TD12M does not have the breakup problem of the TD10M. The distortion graphs look nice over 80hz.

You are going to measure the drivers yourself, right?

I was only planning to measure the frequency response then use DCX2496 to fiddle with the crossover point.

Distortion measurements? wouldn't even know where to start.

Thats cool, Im a big fan of XOs with the DCX but still you need to have something in room to know what is going on. A notebook or PC with $150 measurement equipment (soundcard/calibrated mic) with free demo version of ARTA will go a long way to helping you tweak with the DCX.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi Dabbler,

You might find some of this to be of interest:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/132884-10-mtm-neopro5i-ribbon-build-thread.html

I tested two of the drivers you're interested in, namely the TD10M and the 10NW64. The TD10M was a clear winner thanks to the poor cooling system on the 10NW64.

There are a bunch of measurements for both drivers spread throughout the thread.

Cheers,
Owen

Owen, Im halfway through the thread, just a quick question: The 2.5khz breakup appears in your measurements of the TD10M. Is it audible on the 2K crossover you use?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Nice work Circlomanen. The 10PS26 may be the ones I go with, nice smooth response to 2K and high efficiency. Should be easy enough to work with.

Ive emailed Al from USSpeaker about the finish quality of his DDS waveguides. If he confirms they are OK, ill take them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Drivers are on there way, have started plugging some numbers into bassbox.

121db@1m with 350W is good however second-last graph of cone displacement shows 5.5mm xmax breached at 57hz and rising fast.

Do I need a steep high pass filter on the woofer at 60 hz to protect it from low frequencies at high SPL? How far can xmax be exceded before damage?

Attachments

• 10PS26_a.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 72
Do you have the off axis response (45 and 60deg) of the 10PS26. The off axis response will predict your XO point on it.

No. I run active filters through my computer so i use whatever crossover-frequency i think sounds best. Im not that scientific about it.

The model is in 1/4 space so it's about 6dB high compared to most other modelling programs. The 10PS26 is a 95dB driver so an MLTL isn't going to increase sensitivity.

They stand next to a wall, a little too close to the corners i my room so i think 1/4 space is right.

121db@1m with 350W is good however second-last graph of cone displacement shows 5.5mm xmax breached at 57hz and rising fast.

Do I need a steep high pass filter on the woofer at 60 hz to protect it from low frequencies at high SPL? How far can xmax be exceded before damage?

Running my MLTLs from a QSC PLX2402 i could not get the drivers to distort or sound bad with Yello and other electronic music. That is 425 watts to each driver and a lot of deep bas. I did not use any highpass-filtering. All the people left the room because the spl was ridiculous.

I dont use my speakers to play loud, but i wanted to test them. I built them to sound dynamic and "live".

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Running my MLTLs from a QSC PLX2402 i could not get the drivers to distort or sound bad with Yello and other electronic music. That is 425 watts to each driver and a lot of deep bas. I did not use any highpass-filtering. All the people left the room because the spl was ridiculous.

Maybe there is less cone displacement using MLTL with the same SPL? Or am I misinterpreting the graph?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Tried the cone displacement simulation with just 60W. It shows xmax is exceeded with signal below 40hz! What am I missing here guys?

Attachments

• 10PS26_60W_XMAX.jpg
    10PS26_60W_XMAX.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 429
Not a lot of content below 40Hz is at 0dB so you get away with a little more than the sim shows.
I would however use a high pass as there is no guarantee that it won't cause a problem. I hate cones flapping in the wind.
MLTL won't give any magic excursion handling but it sure sounded nice when I listened to the above speakers.

I can't find a number for Xdamage on the 10ps26 but I guess they are pretty durable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.