Need opinions for 10" pro woofer + horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Well the rules have changed or you have lucked out. Because Fedex/UPS/Schenker et al are bonded shippers any consignment will have $65 (that's what it was last time) customs entry fee plus applicable duty plus GST on the item cost and shipping.

The $A1000 limit applies to items through Austpost and the value includes the postage.

Between 02 and 09 I must have imported several hundred items.

Maybe I got lucky, though I cant see anything here regarding the $65 entry fee: When buying over the internet

Hopefully they have changed the rules.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just a recommendation based on parameters when compared to other offerings. (..lots of other offerings beyond PE's.)

Still, in the prosound grouping I think you are looking at the wrong size drivers. The "sweet spot" is 12"; specifically the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO - and it's available from PE (and probably from Aussie sources).

Eminence Kappalite 3012HO - drivervault

Thanks for the recommendations Scott. I do realise I am missing the "sweet spot" with the 10 inch however I am eyeing an old dynaco-25 cabinets for a "pimp-up"; Only a 10 will fit!

Besides, my room is TINY and a 12" may be a little overwhelming.

10 inch measuremets
PA with 10" measurements

Vote for 10NW64. I have it in HT BP SW and never measured it full range, so no personal info.
PL line were intended more in horn usage but can be used in reflex enclosures. IMO costly, old and overkill.
HPL line is a good value, used in lower cost PA. 10HPL51 has been little bit more favoured than 64 between PA guys. Little bit outdated.
10NW64 well engineered, demodulation rings IMO favourite. Good old 10PS26 had little bit better damped cone.
H100/101 - very old, non CD horn.
Time off, sorry, later ....

@ ScottG : what is Iwata flair ?

Regards zeoN_Rider

iwata horn - Google Search

..it's of course not the same because of the earlier expansion on the side-walls for your horn. Because of that your's will have a bit more pronounced diffraction signature than an iwata, and the dispersion pattern will be a bit different as well.

Last edited:
No, I used : Yuichi's Audio Lab.

Regards zeoN_Rider

They are all very nice looking (..I've come across this site before, just had forgotten about it.)

I've always wondered what the small sectoral fins on the larger horns were doing to upper freq. linear decay because of the diffraction.

Now I'll give you a link! ;)

Possibly the best horn I've seen:
Welcome to Bentwood Horns

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Update: I will be placing an order for a pair of AE TD10M's (pending not-too-crazy freight costs). I like the low-end extension and promise of minimal cone breakup up to and beyond the crossover point.

I've been looking at the QSC Hpr122 10" waveguides as well. Have considered the DDS 10" from USSpeaker however the QSC is a fraction of the cost and seems to be a very similar profile.

Does anyone know if the QSC can happily be used down to 1500hz?

Update: I will be placing an order for a pair of AE TD10M's (pending not-too-crazy freight costs). I like the low-end extension and promise of minimal cone breakup up to and beyond the crossover point.

I've been looking at the QSC Hpr122 10" waveguides as well. Have considered the DDS 10" from USSpeaker however the QSC is a fraction of the cost and seems to be a very similar profile.

Looses pattern control below 2.2khz believe it or not. Here's a link to a colaborative project along the lines you're considering.

Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

NW has a strange venting strategy that at higher levels, creates some mechanical noise and HPL doesn't measure up so well. Eminence Kappalight 3015 is an excellent choice as is the Deltalight 10" with good LF extension.

Driver Measurements - drivervault

I have quad of the QSC 122 but have yet to use them in anything. The flare is more rounded than the DDS appears to be and the QSC doesn't appear to be as deep. Yet to use them in a design and I haven't had the DDS beside it to compare. I had originally intended to buy the DDS before I heard of the QSC, but some QC issues a while ago (which may be resolved) dampened my enthusiasm.

Duke at AudioKinesis uses the DDS to 10's to around 1k7 IIRC. Check his site.

I own those QSCs and what CD are you going to use? That waveguide does not go much lower then 1500Hz if that at all. I think its more of a 2KHz waveguide. The Celestion 1745 (ordered from QSC too, its the CD that is in the HPR-152i speaker) does a pretty good job. Other popular brands B&C, Beyma, Radian will be fine down to 1500Hz but its the waveguide itself that has the impedance issues that low.

btw,

Im building a speaker with the 10" QSC waveguide /(BMS4550 or Radian 475) + 18sound 18Sound 10NDA520.

I have quad of the QSC 122 but have yet to use them in anything. The flare is more rounded than the DDS appears to be and the QSC doesn't appear to be as deep. Yet to use them in a design and I haven't had the DDS beside it to compare. I had originally intended to buy the DDS before I heard of the QSC, but some QC issues a while ago (which may be resolved) dampened my enthusiasm.

You need to get some CDs so I can learn from your build ;)

Yes, the Celestion 1425 is a very small CD and lost control below 2KHz. I wish they would have used the Celestion 1745 instead, it would hold its pattern lower.
Somebody needs to put DE250 (the DriverValult standard) on 122i and measure the polars. I used 1425 because it's what QSC uses, to end speculation about that combo. Yes, it worked, but the relatively high XO made for a comparatively short forward vertical lobe....

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010

He uses them down to 1k5 in the Planetarium system. And after reading about large breakup at somewhere around 2.5khz on TD10M's I will probably have to do the same. I was hoping I could cross a little higher and use the QSC but its not to be.

Are there any measurments of the TD10M floating around? Any owners want to chirp in re. xover points and slopes required to avoid the breakup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.