Need help to buy a system -- Portland, Oregon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, all of you. Lots of responses from all when I was sleeping here in India. :)

With no disrespect i consider the budget to be completely wrong . I have always considered that for any budget the biggest percentage should be spent on the source not the speakers.
I know that some feel this way. I believe this line of argument was propounded by Linn, whose creator went around the country demonstrating how an excellent source can change the sound, keeping all other components the same. We must keep this in mind -- it was a turntable maker who said this.

I too would be budgeting for a much larger percentage of the funds to go into upstream components if we were looking at electromechanical sources like cassette decks and turntables. I'm a member of that tiny minority of forum members who has actually owned a Nakamichi ZX-9 -- I am fully aware of the magical power of an extremely good source component.

However, electronics has not remained where electromechanical stuff has. It is still very hard to build a good turntable in 2016. But price performance ratio for electronics has been moving ahead in leaps and bounds. The DAC on a good mobile phone these days may beat that built into a Sony ES series CD player of 1980s. (I'm not certain, but I'm willing to compare if I could.) And this rig which I am suggesting for my friend will only have a digital source and straightforward solid-state amp -- nothing electromechanical here.

So for say $5000 source $2000 amp $1500 speakers $1000 cables/stands $500
You lost me here, sir. I am sure you have a fantastic system and can hear things I can't, but I won't advise my friend along the lines you've described here -- I will never be able to justify $1000 for cables. Just call it my ignorance or stupidity.

I personally think she would be better off taking her taste in music to a good dealer ( possibility with the recommendation of any Portland residents ) and listen to a selection of equipment until she finds the kind of sound she likes rather than suggestions from afar.
Sorry if my original post confused some of you, but this is exactly what I am asking her to do. I want all of you to suggest good dealers selling reputed brands in Portland, and I'll then ask my friend to go around to them with a sampler CD. I don't intend to prescribe a final set of products for her -- I just intend to give her a shortlist of dealers and brands. She can decide the models after listening. But yes, I want her to start with speakers, not source.

Buying simply because someone said so is like going out and buying kit made up of the latest 5 star reviews and expecting it to work well together let alone actually enjoy the sound it makes.
Couldn't agree with you more.

I'd consider ATC SCM25A Pro.

Cost a bit more than the B&W 805 D3 the OP considered but he wouldn't need an amp and any balanced cable with Neutriks on either end will be as good as it gets. Cost about $30 for 10m/30ft.
As 'media player' I'd use an old computer and a decent DAC with balanced outs and volume control.

PS: With regards to budget distribution speakers have always been the most expensive part. Back in the old analogue days a good rule of thumb was 50% on speakers 50% on everything else (TT, cartridge, amp) but digital has twisted that even more towards speakers. The differences between a $150 DAC and a $5000 DAC are many orders of magnitude smaller (and barely audible if at all) than the differences between $500 speakers and $5000 ones which are huge.
The situation with amps is similar but not quite that extreme IMO.

You're sending her to DEALERS to audition foreign MONKEY COFFINS that cost THOUSANDS? Some friend! Some Linkwitz fan!
:D:D:D

Don't twist the knife in the wound, please. :D

You think I didn't think of it? Please can you tell me one party who will
  • let my friend listen to the LX521 in Portland
  • make and deliver a finished LX521 to my friend's place
  • set it up, align the OB panels, configure and set up everything
  • provide some basic level support in case there are some problems in at least the first year or two
I couldn't find anyone anywhere in the world who is willing to do this, let alone in Portland. There are parties who will make and deliver the speakers, but you're on your own after that. You have to buy an amp, and you have to wire everything up. If you are stupid enough to wire the midrange or woofer output to the tweeter (always a danger in active speakers), you blow the tweeter, and it's your fault.

Do you really think it's possible for my friend in Portland to get an OB system designed by Linkwitz? This is not a rhetorical question. She has the budget.

To the original OP (only):

Ignore all the advice you have received thus far and ask your friend to visit Echo Audio in Portland.

Yes, that's a real store with real people.

Now, I don't live in Portland, but I have actually ordered a few things from Echo Audio--they sell a lot of used gear. I think that used gear has the best bang for the buck by far. I was very happy with it (Adcom amps, if I remember correctly).

Perhaps the OP can call them up, speak with them, and thus steer his friend to something affordable and local.

Local is good. Especially in Portland.
Echo Audio - Your source for the finest Home Audio and Hi-Fi Audio Equipment

Disclaimer: I have no association with Echo. Any local hi-fi store would do, as well, perhaps.

There are a number of dealers here in the Portland area. I have worked for several over the last 16 years that we have lived here as an audio/video installer. I quit working full time a couple of years ago due to arthritis, but still work part time for a couple of local dealers.

I have also been a stereo enthusiast for close to 40 years. If you would like, as a favor, I can talk with her and give her MY OPINION about where to shop.

If she would like to hire me to install her gear;fine. If she would like to hire somebody else to install the gear; marvelous. I have zero agenda here other than helping out somebody from India and an audio enthusiast. I am also happily married and am too old for such nonsense, so no danger there. I make no money by selling gear to customers.

If you think this might interest her, send me a PM and I will forward my cell number that you can give her.

Hi tcpip .. i think you misread that i wasn't suggesting $1000 for cables god forbid !! :) but $500 of the budget on cables stands and a rack of some sort. Anyhow lots of help and advice being offered now so hopefully your friend will soon be well on the way to getting the right system for her needs and budget .

Too bad I'm in a different country as well. You seem to be on the right track there, but I would increase the budget on the amplifier a little. Ignore the audio rack. It is furniture and she will have to look at it every single day. $300 won't cut it for her. Leave that out of the budget and call it room decor. Use the $300 on the amp.
Thanks a lot for your response. Very helpful.

My budget allocations were not hard and fast. For amps, I was thinking of any of the following, purely based on reviews:
I need more suggestions here. The list is too short.

I was half-hoping that we may be able to find a reasonable amp with a DAC built-in, that's why I was talking about just a $500 source. A lot of amps seem to have DACs built in these days. If this doesn't work out, then we can use any cheap media player which emits digital audio, with a really good DAC, or increase the budget for the media player (something like the Elac Discovery?) and hope that one gets good analog output from it.

You will probably have to spend more on a media player to get decent sound out of it.
Yes, I agree. If the media player's DAC is to be used, we need a larger budget.

She might want to look at PSB and some similar brands. Used speakers are fine too. PSB Stratus Gold speakers are going used for $800 ~ $1,200 a pair. They were $2,500 when new.
She will be nervous about buying used -- she'll want a dealer and warranty. This comes simply from unfamiliarity with audio products?

Are there good PSB dealers in Portland? I'll hope for pointers.

+ 1 sort of.

Long experience has shown that far too many spend too much on the speakers leaving the front end short-changed.

Everything is important.
Hi Dave, good to hear from you. :)

The DIY approach doesn't work with my friend -- let her get hooked to listening to good music on a good system first. Then, someday, she may want to go up the upgrade path. :) We on this forum sometimes almost forget that there are educated, intelligent people who've heard good music in concert halls but have never heard good music in any home, coming from a good music system. My friend is in that league. :p

About speakers and solid state amps -- do you feel there are big issues of matching and synergy, if the amp has more than enough power for the speaker at hand, has double-zero distortion, and the typical ultra-low Zout of solid-state hardware? I was inclined to underplay that aspect.

either way i don't agree with a " several thousand dollar " set of speakers being well matched to a $500 media player .
I do however agree with rayma's post as a possibility :)
I'm glad for your inputs, and I do tend to agree about the $500 - to - $5000 pairing. :p I owe you an explanation -- I should have explained this assumption in my first post.

I was hoping that my friend may get an amp with a built-in DAC of reasonable quality. In that case, I was hoping that the media player would simply output digital bits, and then the "sound quality" issue of the media player would become minor. (I know there's jitter, but I personally feel that jitter causes only minor problems at the price ranges we're talking about.)

But as I see your feedback and those of others, I feel that it may be hard to drive $5000 speakers with a $700 amp. If I push up the amp budget, then $4000 goes to speakers, and $2000 goes to amps. In that case, the amp does not have a DAC. (15 years ago, only cheap CD players used to play MP3 discs -- it's the same with amp and DAC these days, I guess.)

So, maybe I'll need to look for a $1,000 source, a $1,500-2,000 amp, and $4,000 for speakers. I may cut the budget for the audio rack. :D

Honestly, if I were blindly suggesting a setup, especially for a small room where you're almost listening nearfield, I'd probably go with either the LSR305 or LSR308 for speakers (with an added bonus that the amps are done!
I too was wondering about what active speakers are available. If there's any option to audition these in Portland, I'll definitely ask her to check them out.

I'm tempted to even look at so-called "computer speakers". How good are the Audioengine active speakers, any idea? Are they really worth listening to music on?

I'd consider ATC SCM25A Pro.

Cost a bit more than the B&W 805 D3...
Costs a lot actually. I saw Sweetwater quoting $7,995 for a pair. :(

Any idea about the 2-way models, the SCM20 active model? The price seems to be $5,000 or so/pair.

PS: With regards to budget distribution speakers have always been the most expensive part. Back in the old analogue days a good rule of thumb was 50% on speakers 50% on everything else (TT, cartridge, amp) but digital has twisted that even more towards speakers. The differences between a $150 DAC and a $5000 DAC are many orders of magnitude smaller (and barely audible if at all) than the differences between $500 speakers and $5000 ones which are huge.
The situation with amps is similar but not quite that extreme IMO.
Thanks, pal. This is exactly what my feeling was too.

Hi tcpip .. i think you misread that i wasn't suggesting $1000 for cables god forbid !! :) but $500 of the budget on cables stands and a rack of some sort. Anyhow lots of help and advice being offered now so hopefully your friend will soon be well on the way to getting the right system for her needs and budget .
Oh crap :confused: I misunderstood you. Yes, $500 for cables, stand and audio rack, all put together, seems totally reasonable. :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
~$400 plan of action to buy both of you some time: $100 used pair of AKG K550 as reference headphones, and from local craigslist or local used dealers(?): used $200 AV Receiver with nice DAC and preamp outputs (for later) and used $100-150 pair of 'domestic' two-way towers (top of line Polk or Boston, any Paradigm, any PSB, etc).
In a year or so perhaps she will have more listening experience in her own room and be more involved in choosing with you whichever OB might come next, plus by then you'll have made important local connections to help out! Baby steps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.