Need help to buy a system -- Portland, Oregon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember that from the old Marantz speakers, but I designed speaker systems for a few years and know you can't just "stick a sock in it" and expect to have controlled the bass. What many folks don't know is that the action of the port is to damp the woofer at the system resonant frequency. Below this it actually unloads the woofer, so it flaps free. This should happen at frequencies below what you would find in music. A sealed box is pretty simple to understand by comparison, but the adiabatic port that is created by using a porous plug is uncontrolled in it's "tuning". Completely random.

I have to say, if the manufacturer supplies a plug for this purpose, then use that plug (but don't substitute). Otherwise, you'll probably end up with messy bass. Standing the speakers away from the corners is the proper solution, but not always convenient. Given what was spent on these speakers, uncontrolled experiments with damping will detract from the quality rather than add to it. Physics rules and some times we don't like the answers. Oh well.

-Chris

Yes, if the system is kept in this room, then this is the longest wall. Non-ideal, I know. The house is large, two storeys, with 3 bedrooms and (I believe) a decent sized living room with open plan kitchen. But this small bedroom may be the only one which gives the listener privacy and quiet.

So, balancing the human aspects with the technical requirements is a big challenge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.