Need help choosing a turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Massing up the stock arm for cartridges like the DL-103 family is fairly common, so no reason not to try it for other cartridges. The stock C-weight will probably not be enough depending on cartridge weight and added head-shell weight. You'll need to buy/make an auxiliary c-weight. Check out Pat's site:

Technics SL-1200 mods

jeff

You might also consider a used ZU version of the Denon DL-103 which has a 14gm mass by virtue of the aluminum body.. This works a treat in my SME 3009 Series II, however I did have to acquire the supplemental rider weight for the best match. If you are clever you may be able to find another place (closer to the fulcrum) to add mass to the arm that does not compromise tracking as much as hanging it all at the end of the arm.

Massing up the stock arm for cartridges like the DL-103 family is fairly common, so no reason not to try it for other cartridges.

While listening to my temp solution (see below), I ordered a DL-110 and SL2000 to experiment with.
Had a look at Pat's site but I didn't like most of the solutions :s

You might also consider a used ZU version of the Denon DL-103 which has a 14gm mass by virtue of the aluminum body.. This works a treat in my SME 3009 Series II, however I did have to acquire the supplemental rider weight for the best match. If you are clever you may be able to find another place (closer to the fulcrum) to add mass to the arm that does not compromise tracking as much as hanging it all at the end of the arm.

The Zu version looks great, but still a bit expensive to my taste, would rather invest in a decent testrecord and some measurement equipment: Adjust+ - Home.
And yes, it should be possible to make a heavier counterweight to replace the original instead of using
and aux weight...

In the meantime I used a temporary fix for the V-15, 10 eurocent weights 4.1g...
Could've done it for half the price, 5 eurocent weights 3.92g, but I checked my clothes and wallet, couldn't find any.
My headshell is a version without a mountig hole for those tiny 2 and 4g weights.
Used a small dot of hot glue instead.

Sounds now exactly like I knew this cart from the Thorens combo...
The Concorde Pro goes back in it's box, don't think it will ever come out again.
btw, while I was at it, measured the capacitance seen by the cart (not connected to amp), only 12pF, that's good, I suppose?!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Linn LP12

The spastic fantastic.

Oldy belt-driven suspended TT's are fine starters if you're good with alloy/composite chassis building and have resources.
Did that with a 147 in the early 90s, received it as a present, the gift bearer found it in a dumpster.
Blueprinted the bearing to a micron, the platter was balanced on a rig used for car tires.
Nowadays i'm so boring that i got me one with pre-installed xlr outputs (my main junk chain is balanced all the way).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.