Need help choosing a turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Lenco in the picture is from a friend of mine you have to see it and hear it to believe it.
When I say a lot of work I mean total reconstruction. New plinth, cabling, and even tone arm (that is not necessary at first).

Yes I understand the problems in transport and tax costs... Some times are more than the actual cost of the turntable.

My friend I have to disagree, some DD turntables are very good value for money. Of course belt driven tables are, in most of the comparisons with DD, better sounding but there are some jewels in the DD world also. They are not very expensive but hard to find though.

The two examples that come in mind are:

DENON DP 59L

c.jpg

And YAMAHA PΧ2

P1000796.jpg

They surely outperform any turntable in the 500-1000$ region IMHO.

As for Linn I think is over estimated...:eek:

P.S. I'm not implying that DD is better than BD, what I'm saying is that a well made DD can be in many cases as good as a BD :)
I don't have a DD turntable, I am more in suspended BD decks (systemdek IXX-900 and Thorens TD160B MkII) but I've heard the above turntables and it was amazing how they sounded. :)

Stelakis1 , you dis-agree to agree later ... LOL... :confused:

You admit not to having a DD TT for the same reasons i suggested originally not to get one, it is not the best way to go. Of course there are bad BD Tables and of course a DD table can sound good , but for the price they want for the DD Technics , there are better BD Tables available so why bother is my point , not that you can't tweak and mod a DD table to sound good .

PS: I'm sure i saw you in the movie : The Greek audiophile .. :p

Even overpriced if you take the price it sells today.But getting a used one with a good arm and cartridge at an average of 500-600 euros,I cannot think of anything else to even come close to it.Also the fact that it can be step by step upgraded in the future is an extra bonus.

+10

aguantesoda search for one of these entry level belt drives from Pioneer,Kenwood,Dual.........they are really nice and you may find them cheap.

I found some models of Pioneer:

DD Pioneer PL-400 :
Pioneer PL-400 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

BD Pioneer PL-115D:
Pioneer PL-115D Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

And Dual:

Dual CS 506
Dual CS 506 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Dual 604:
Dual 604 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Dual 1229Q (the one I have found have the tone arm broken):
Dual 1229Q Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Dual 1228:
Dual 1228 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

sorry if annoying too, but could you recommend some?

Here, any of these turntables do not cost more than $ 120, but I don´t know if they are good...

many thanks, are helping me a lot, and learning too
Thanks!

Of the models you mention above my choice would be the Dual 506.This because I prefer belt driven turntables and because the 506 even has a basic but quite effective suspension.The low mass tonearm will be a good match for higher compliance cartridges like ortofon,it may even come with one so you might just need a new stylus and belt.A 506 shouldn't cost much and it is a very good turntable to start.
Spend a little time and see if you find any Pioneer PL12 or a Kenwood/Trio KD1033.Both are simple belt drives,have a basic and effective suspensions and a higher mass tonearms that would widen your choice on cartridges.If these are very hard to find,then the Dual 506 will do just fine.

Don't hesitate to buy a Lenco L75/L78. It's costly today ,but in near future it will be like a Garrard 301(crazy price).
Was able to listen this Lenco(the one tested in this report) and believe me you will never regret:

RECENT AUDIO NOTES

A few days ago a Garrard 301 was sold on e-bay UK for GBP:3100 !!!!!!!!
This is not a crazy price.......it is something else :)
Three months ago I found a Garrard 401 in perfect condition in a wharehouse and got it for 50 euros.....:cool:

Last edited:
A decent turntable support will make a big difference.
Probably more significant than the actual turntable you choose!
This is particularly true of budget turntables. I remember having a Dual CS505 which despite being highly recommended never sounded right to me.
I bought an AR turntable, and a wall mounted shelf. When I tried the old dual deck on the shelf it sounded amazing.:eek:

I used to have a systemdek IIX with a sumiko arm and grado cartridge. It was stunning at times. I would like another one but I do worry that they are getting old and subject to wear. No idea if you can replace parts.

I dont know if its been mentioned but I've heard Project TT are a very good buy.

Linn LP 12 is legendary. I hear some people say its over rated, but I've always been impressed. I believe that even the old ones can be upgraded to the current reference model although I could be wrong.

But today lenco l-75 isn´t expensive I think... It cost here nearly 125 Dollars.

That's actually quite reasonable. Lots of options for heavy plinths, and better arms etc.

I used to have a systemdek IIX with a sumiko arm and grado cartridge. It was stunning at times. I would like another one but I do worry that they are getting old and subject to wear. No idea if you can replace parts.

A friend here built up a nice one last year. The hot-rodded RB250 arm really woke that table up. It also had a 60Hz Linn Valhalla to drive the motor. The motor and bearing were in pretty good condition, just look for one in good shape.

I dont know if its been mentioned but I've heard Project TT are a very good buy.

Not the Debut III.:eek:

Linn LP 12 is legendary. I hear some people say its over rated, but I've always been impressed. I believe that even the old ones can be upgraded to the current reference model although I could be wrong.

ChuuuChiiiiiinggggggg$$$$$$$$$

Jeff

That's actually quite reasonable. Lots of options for heavy plinths, and better arms etc.Jeff

I have never heard a modified L75,only a few times in original form.Sometimes I wonder what these not so cheap mods bring.I guess a Lenco is a Lenco for what it is,a Linn is a Linn for what it is.Remember the Merril upgrades to the AR turntables?In the end the only AR thing remaining on it was the AR badge:)

I understand the upgrade route but the way I see things is to leave a turntable in its original form if you are buying it for what it is.If I like a Pink Triangle,I won't buy a Linn and try to make it sound like a Pink.

I know it is not cheap either,but I prefer to have more than one turntable,each with its own little story behind it.

Linn LP 12 is legendary. I hear some people say its over rated, but I've always been impressed.

I never heard one that did not sound good.

ChuuuChiiiiiinggggggg$$$$$$$$$

Yup. This is a Linn gotcha. IUP (Infinite Upgrade Path) does not appeal to me. If you regress a completely modded out Linn (i.e., to the very latest, bestest upgrade), stripping it down to its most basic configuration then, based on the claimed improvements each of these mods were supposed to have made, you end up with... what??... "minus Linn"?.

A look on e-bay uk and you can find many LP12's with Grace,Akito or Basik plus for 400-500 euros.These very high performance combinations and will outperform any new turntable at similar prices.It seems like this is a good time for some to get one.Strangely though,Ittok tonearms seem to be very hard to find.

I never heard one that did not sound good.

Mine sounded pretty marginal when I first got it.

Yup. This is a Linn gotcha. IUP (Infinite Upgrade Path) does not appeal to me. If you regress a completely modded out Linn (i.e., to the very latest, bestest upgrade), stripping it down to its most basic configuration then, based on the claimed improvements each of these mods were supposed to have made, you end up with... what??... "minus Linn"?.

Coincidentally, there has never been more options from different manufactures than there are now. You can build a complete LP12 clone now without a single "Linn" component.

I wouldn't have mentioned it for that reason but then I saw the valhalla lp12 for $600 one poster linked to and someone else mentioned finding one for even less.

That's about the going rate for a later deck in good shape with no arm, or a beater with a Grace arm.

Jeff

Could you elaborate?

There are several manufacturers making "upgrade" components for the LP12. Some are relatively new, and some have been around for a while (Pink Triangle). Lots of different choices for sub-chassis, top plates, arm boards, arms, motors, power supplies, plinths. About the only original parts that get recycled are the platters and sub-platters, and springs/rubber bushings. Strangely, nobody seems to be doing an aftermarket bearing, but I could have missed that.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.