NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on eBay

Hi, i have owned many types of NCC200, its impossible to listen to piano or ambient music with NCC200 type amplifier... i think i had always done something wrong working around that circuit... but it never was so musical as naim..

Naim is like wanna be valve, but faster ... funny to listen lol....
It has its drawbacks... for example... if someone shout's... it could be disgusting with naim amplifier....

NCC200
Naim has more problem than NCC200. :whazzat: Certain music the midsection become muddy, sometimes I miss the dynamic becomes flat. In one word like you put a curtain at the front of your speakers.
I spent on my NCC clone countless hours until I matched the components to each other to get the right sound character. These type of amplifier requires a lot of experimenting until you achieve the right sound. It is easier with NAIM because you get all the information and if you stick to the original type of components the result almost certain. Avondale says the same they spent countless hours on their (clone) NCC.

Avondale says the same they spent countless hours on their (clone) NCC.

LesW has put in a lot of work over the years into developing the NCC200 and if you stick to his pcb layout and component list you'll end up with a very high quality power amplifier that won't disappoint. In the opinion of his many very happy customers it sounds much better than the original Naim power amplifier modules the NCC200 is designed to replace...

Naim has more problem than NCC200

Yep, like Ian Finch or other member said: Naim has very narrow operating point were it sounds as it should.

Who ever designed the idea and the circuit must be f... kidding me... its genius....... and also strange :D

Is there a chance with these black PCB-s for NCC200 ? They got all the neccesary traces for the purpose.

I did today few fixes to naim:

Can't find a tantalum capacitor which suits the circuit...its sooo impossible..

Replaced all with electrolytics that also sound similar to tantalums...they got that ESR:D

Gonna listen that way for few weeks.....
all of my old stock and the good times.
the output transistor are bd911
it works in 33vdc
the capacitors are in 50v 10000uF
the wire is in 1.5mm
the tantals are in very low resistance series

I have wired with 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 1mm wires... i use 1mm now... seems more right to me @ short distance.

Have you tried less then 10000uF ? I will certanly do that in the future.

One thing is 100% certain, slow moving, changing ambient music is nice with naim.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
2x4700uF and a KBPC604 sounds alot better, less bass but amplifier is alot less disgusting.

It feels like there is a room for ME in the same room where naim amplifies !

Before when i had 10x different clones and monster CAP banks, it was hard to be in the same room with the amplifier!
Modding this stuff is not cool... it cancels prolonging use of the amplifier.... sound might be "WOW" but still **** in the end.

Only thing is left to do is buy tantalums and find 5% metal film resistors... were can i buy them in europe ???

Rene

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Conrad - Composants electroniques, outillage, mesure, piles, informatique...

:D THANKS, but i could not find good size "~6-9mm" long 5% metal film resistors ...

huggygood,

I have tried everything i could think of:violin: and also reed all internet forums and threads that includes "naim" or its clone theme in it.:cool:
It means living with mods, taking my amplifiers away from home to get other opinions and so on....

Two amplifiers that can be good to listen:

CLASS D philips TDA8950 sound rools (its SOO FLAT AND SOO BOORING, thats why its good).

Naim or atleast its right operation :p

I am changing resistors back from paralleled combinations to 1% metal film resistors on the board.

Compared to my previous 2 clones, this one sings the best, it feels like they started to get a long with each other, the amplifier boards i mean.;)

Rensli

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
have you a naim preamp ?
my 140 works well only with naim preamp and chinese tube buffer with 33k volume pot .
with my other preamp it's not even worth it.
I still have not tried with my B1 Pass because I have not finished it yet, but I think it should go well together.
otherwise, as another supplier there is Mouser but I do not like them and I still like to pay customs fees more expensive than my total order

I dont want to DIY anything more then a NAIM, NCC200, speaker boxes and amplifier CASES.

DIY House would be nice also, nothing else :D

Will keep my eyes on ebay for complete NAC42

But now, i will start the NCC200 or NCC200 chinese version.

;))

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Last edited:
ncc200,

Yes, i will report if everything is ready, corrected and tuned.

My first amplifier was H-140 from china(KIT).

It had very good sound... until it took my speakers and itself into destruction...

5A FUSE was a big mistake... if I had not been home that day then there would not be any home left :mad:

But imo it was the best sounding (CHinese ppl gave good transistors with a kit).

I will try to repeat it with 200VA 38.5-0-38.5 V rectified DC and a pair of 2SC5200 highest gain i could sort out from my savings :D

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
....Strange farnell does not have 5% metals ....
Why the concern over 5% tolerance resistors? Assuming you don't really need wide tolerance for any technical reason, you can just as easily use any tolerance less than 5% without problem. Close tolerance was a price issue for manufacturers but of no concern for repair or DIY needs.

However, if you are selecting values from wide tolerance parts to get precise odd values, you could consider trimming them upward in value by making small razor cuts in the film, parallel with the helical path of the film itself, under the resistor coating - if soft enough.

Most amplifiers would originally have used 5% resistors in carbon film or in some locations, metal film but it just so happens that 1% tolerance and lower is easily done with metal film types and no more expensive than higher tolerance options, now made redundant. In a shrinking market for through-hole parts, unessential items have to go. However, this has affected me too, in that 0.5 or 0.65W MF types in original small outline have disappeared but most uses can be covered by 0.25W types. The few applications that really need the extra rating haven't been hard to adapt with a bit of wire bending.

:D THANKS, but i could not find good size "~6-9mm" long 5% metal film resistors ...

huggygood,

I have tried everything i could think of:violin: and also reed all internet forums and threads that includes "naim" or its clone theme in it.:cool:

Rensli

Try to remove the two 10uF caps and transistors based on this schematics. That would improve the sound a lot.

All in the purple box plus R6 R7 and R10 & R11

Attachments

• SyCLrU6.jpg
    SyCLrU6.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 258
  • NAP250%20schematic orig +.JPG
    NAP250%20schematic orig +.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited: