NaO Note II RS

The mini is metalic silver,the nao notes are olive green (international cupboard paint) applied with small roller,it is possible to rub paint back between coats with wet and dry,would work well with mdf.I was in too much of a hurry to get them playing that cosmetics suffered slightly.
Very pleased with the sound of my speakers,cant really get them far enough away from the rear wall,due to the size of the room so i am using dirac room correction and to my ears the sound is the best i have had so far.

Last edited:
The mini is metalic silver,the nao notes are olive green (international cupboard paint) applied with small roller,it is possible to rub paint back between coats with wet and dry,would work well with mdf.I was in too much of a hurry to get them playing that cosmetics suffered slightly.
Very pleased with the sound of my speakers,cant really get them far enough away from the rear wall,due to the size of the room so i am using dirac room correction and to my ears the sound is the best i have had so far.

It looks like you have a glass sliding door behind the speakers with drapes. I would close the drapes when listening to add a little rear wave damping.

Imaging ! Imaging !

Hi,
I have just finished building my Note II RS. It looks so-so because I could only get low quality plywood in this part of China and I didn't bother to paint it.

As for the sound, wow ! I just couldn't believe my ears. I don't need to close my eyes to feel that "being there" experience. The imaging of these speakers is fantastic. Those who have listened to it unanimously say that they could "see" the singers singing right behind the audio equipment that I placed in the middle of the room.

The room is comparatively big - 16' x 32' and the speakers are 10' away from the rear wall.

Being a newbie, I didn't do any tweaking. I just used the 2nd-order configuration file that John gave me.

I want to make the best use of the equipment that I have already got and therefore my setup is rather messy :
a) Speaker cables - Tara Labs, Dynaudio, Atmos Air.
b) Amps - Audiolab (tweeter), Eico HF-35 tube amp(mid), Accuphase clone(mid-low), 2sc5200 kit(woofer).

I shall very soon start learning REW to tune the system to its best.

John, please accept my most sincere thanks for the help throughout the building process; and, of course, for introducing such a wonderful speaker system at such an affordable price.

Any advice from you all on how I can make the whole system even better will be highly appreciated.

Sidney

John, have you ever considered using one larger midrange instead of two? I mean something like Troels Gravesen did with 8 inch JA8008 combined with tweeter in waveguide? What do you think of this approach? Is this not so good for polar dispersion?

Darkheart , the Note II RS uses a single 8" lower mid. You must not have visited my web site in over a year. Also, if you guys think that the price of the plans is too low I can raiser it. How about $79.95?

Actually, there has been plenty of action on the Note II RS. I don't charge much fort the plans because, as I have always said, I'm not in it for the money.

FYI, I have designed an "optional" cabinet for the Note II RS which integrates the woofers with the rest of the speaker as opposed to the modular "woofer box". This cleans up the look as the woofer box protruding to the rear of the speaker has been eliminated. The contour of the speaker from the side now follows the shape of the side panels, similar to the NaO II RS. This also makes the speaker less pron to rattles as all panels are glued in place.

The new cabinet uses the same main baffle and side panels so updating to the new cabinet only requires discarding the original woofer enclosure and cutting a few new panels. Perfromance remains the same.

Anyone who has built or is building the Note II RS may contact me for the optional cabinet plan set.

As always, thanks for your support.