NaO Note II RS

Anybody running their Nao Note II with a Nadja crossover? I would really like to buy the Nadja (and the speaker plans) but only if it is easy to input the crossover. I am a beginner so have no idea how to do this.

P.S. First looking to get a UK seller to sell me the drivers I need in part since I want to use my six alpha 15a drivers for the low end - this should work well I hope.

Anybody running their Nao Note II with a Nadja crossover? I would really like to buy the Nadja (and the speaker plans) but only if it is easy to input the crossover. I am a beginner so have no idea how to do this.

P.S. First looking to get a UK seller to sell me the drivers I need in part since I want to use my six alpha 15a drivers for the low end - this should work well I hope.

I only provide the configuration files for the miniDSP.

I don't want to hijack this thread, just mention that some time ago I've extended gain from 12 to 24 dB and Q precision to 2 decimal points, as these limitations seemed to be precluding the production of Nao files for the Najda.

Also, Najda supports now 15 custom biquads per channel. So if there exists coefficients for the miniDSP, they can normally be used as such with the Najda.

Finally, if there's still a problem despite the above extensions, then I'm more than happy to help or even create a set of digital files from the analogue transfer functions.

Best,

Nick

Last edited:
Falcon Acoustics sell full sets of Nao Note II RS drivers. The Vifa/ Peerless tweeters are only available as part of these sets. They may still sell you all drivers apart from the bass units- you'd need to ask them. Otherwise, the tweeters are sold by various American vendors and are cheap, even with shipping.

Thanks Toaster, that was the UK seller I contacted. Just heard back and they can do me a part kit thankfully.

Nick, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that once I get all my parts ordered and deilvered.

Sac,

I will be using my Note II RS with the Najda. It is fully compatible with MiniDSP.

The simplest way to do this is to buy the MiniDSP plugin to be able to read the config. that John will provide to you. Then it's only a matter of copying all the coefficient of the biquads in each channels in a text file for the Najda.

I won't be able to assemble everything together before Christmas, life is trowing all sort of things to me now, but if you need help with this, just chime a bell and I'll be happy to help

J-P

Indeed, John's support and commitment to updating the design are to be commended.

I've received the updated plans. The woofers are mounted on a V baffle, not unlike the LX521, and the rear of the woofer section is smoothly curved like the NaO. The profile looks very elegant in photos.

Hi John,

Great to see that you still improving the Note II RS...

How about a little photo...

Well, I managed to get the main baffles built and decided to make them seperate from the woofer cabinets.

I am really disapointed with my self as the finish is far from perfect, that is not to say the plans arn't helpfull, they are very detailed but I just suck when it come to woodwork and I just don't have the patience for painting!

So, I have now comisioned a local CNC workshop to cut them out of furnature grade birch-ply at a very resonable cost.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I see in the above picture that there are small side panels level with the 8" panel, giving a 15" baffle diameter approximately. Is it possible to have a wider face and no side panels?

I ask since I want to modify my current build (15" baffles) once my Najda DSP is ready. I won't purchase the plans till then. It would be nice not to cut them down for ease and visual reasons.

I really can not say how things would work out if you made the lower baffle wider. The side wings really don't add that much to the response, about 2 dB at the lower frequency.

I did make a comparison between with and without side panels as shown here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The red trace is w/o side panels. The thing to recognize is that there is also a change in the upper midrange between 1 and 2k Hz. I would expect to see changes in that area as well if you made the baffle flat but wider. Obviously I can not recommend such changes but I would still encourage you to experiment. After all, they are your speakers and with the dsp crossover you can make little tweaks to achieve what you want. Consider the Note II RS a reference point about which to experiment.

By the way, nice thing about wood is you can use filler and sand paper to make it perfect if you plan on a painted finish.

Thanks for that John. Sounds like I can go ahead with my flat baffle plan without messing up the response too much. I do not have measuring equipment so will build on faith.

I have double layer baltic birch panels, sanded and oiled, with rear mounted twin alpha 15s at the moment (NaoNote II drivers above those). Looking forward to getting the Najda DSP running and the Note plans thereafter. I may come back for any suggestions on mating alpha15s with the Note if anywhere cares to advise me.

SAC, be prepared to start learning measurements! You will waste most of the versatility of dsp-xo without making measurements for setting it up and fine-tuning.

I have used minidsp 4x10HD, UMIK-1 and RoomEQWizard software, but I think that Najda would be just fine too. You can't copy minidsp settings directly to it, you must remake it by yourself (xo points, slopes, shelves, notches, delays, level)