NaO Note II RS

John, with tweeters wired in series pairs at 8 ohms, do you think the MiniDSP miniAMP has enough power for the tweeters? It's rated at 20w x2 into 8 ohms. Above 6 kHz there's not that much power, but I'm not sure if this is enough. It would be convenient to use the miniAMP because it stacks on the 2x8 board and lets you power the remaining 6 channels with any number of 7-channel amps, or else two fewer channels of class-D amp modules.

I don't know. It migh work for th tweeters in series. Depends on how loud you listen. But I prefer to use identical amps on all channels.

Comments form a Note II RS and LX521 builder. The inevitable comparison by an independent builder:

In the last few days I was able to complete (at least for listening) both
your speakers and the LX521's.

As far as musicality is concerned, I like your speaker more than the
LX521. The main advantage the LX521 has, is the woofer section. I have
been able to play the LX521 at very high SPL levels. But for general listening
at moderate to semi high levels, I prefer your speaker.

As expected, the SLS woofers can not play as loud as the SEAS units of the LX521. The XXLS woofer option for the Note would go a long way to neutralize that difference but with a significant increase in cost. As I say on my web site, it would probably be better and less costly, to add a couple of self powered subs if increasde deep bass SPL is required.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Comments form a Note II RS and LX521 builder. The inevitable comparison by an independent builder:

As expected, the SLS woofers can not play as loud as the SEAS units of the LX521. The XXLS woofer option for the Note would go a long way to neutralize that difference but with a significant increase in cost. As I say on my web site, it would probably be better and less costly, to add a couple of self powered subs if increasde deep bass SPL is required.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Was that review posted anywhere online or was it submitted directly to you (and, I assume, SL)?

The sls woofers in this picture are the opposite way round to the ones on music and design website,does it make a difference or can either face forwards

It make no difference, but if you were to think that it did you only need pull the woofer baffles, rotate them 180 degrees, and load them back into the woofer enclosure. Then the top woofer would be facing forward.

Was that review posted anywhere online or was it submitted directly to you (and, I assume, SL)?

It's more just a few comments than a review. It was sent directly to me and I asked his permission to post it on DIY Audio. I have no idea if he sent anything to SL.

Makes me wonder what the difference is, as principally both speakers are designed to achieve the same thing.

It would be interesting to see the actual polar plot of LX521 as none is given/available yet.

Makes me wonder what the difference is, as principally both speakers are designed to achieve the same thing.

It would be interesting to see the actual polar plot of LX521 as none is given/available yet.

Different axial SPL target for one? SL retained the high frequency shelf that he used in the Orion. I designed for basically flat axial response. It's a little more aggressive but at DIY NE listeners preferred the flat response of the Note compared to the roll off top of the Orion. Since the Orion also suffers from tweeter bloom while the LX521 should not, I would expect the rolled off top applied to the LX521 to make even more of a difference. It could also have something to do with the crossover between upper and lower mids as the LX521 is a staggered 1st order passive and the Note II recommended configuration is 2nd order active. And perhaps the ScanSpeak Discovery drivers are just better in the midrange. In any even, it's all speculation, based on one listeners impressions.

I'm just please that one independent builder prefers the Note II.

I can not say I reached a firm conclusion. With the NaO II switching the rear tweeter on or off makes a huge difference, but the tweeter comes in at 2.2k Hz. With the Note II I really can not hear much difference at all, at least in my room. But I have curtains on the front wall behind the speakers so that likely has an impact on the higher frequencies. In a room with a more reflective front wall, like in the photo posted previously, it probably make a bigger difference. Better to have it and let the listener experiment as to whether he likes it on or off.

JohnK,

Can you comment on the effect of lowering the tweeter crossover frequency to, say 5kHz or even 4kHz? How is the polar response affected? Do you start to see blooming as you reduce the tweeter's crossover frequency?

Best answered by showing a polar of the tweeter:

For anybody in the UK, there is an ebay seller "colosussxb” selling the XLS 830452 woofers for £75 each!

When I received them they had BK Electronics printed all over the box, so perhaps they are getting rid of old stock as I know they use this driver in there XLS200 subwoofer!