Mythbusters, let's detonate some foolishes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have found this thread interesting. I keep trying to prove to myself that a new cable will help only because everyone (audiogon.com) says it will make a difference. I keep hearing nothing.. I cannot fool myself like many seem to.

I will add this however.. it is my belief that if your configuration needs something and you happen to give it what it needs HAPPEN TO GIVE IT WHAT IT NEEDS to make a difference (good or bad) a simple cable, cap, resistor, might make a difference. I think all systems have a weak point.. a next step.. and sometimes you need luck to find it. So those bi-wire cables may work fine when someones amplifier needs more capacitance in the cable for some odd reason...

I have only witnessed one change in my lifetime involving a cable.. a $5.00 interconnect with a $70.00 interconnect.. I did not want to hear a difference (didnt want to spend the money) but I heard it. I cannot hear the difference between other similar quality cables. I bet the reason it sounded better was not the cable but the very tight fitting connectors as a matter of fact.

On myths: some people are gifted and can hear more than others... so if they can hear something you cannot it is not a myth.

My impression is to make a difference one way or another for the average person a major change must be made.. I different design amplifier or speakers.. a tube preamp vs. a solid state.

I think the best advice for a person seeking a satisfying level of audio quality is to establish a relationship with a retail business who will allow in home auditioning of equipment (this usually means previously owned gear).. else one would go bankrupt in ones quest for perfection.

I am currently running two different cables to each of my speakers.. OH HOW TABOO THIS IS! They are even different lengths! GASP!!! I cannot hear the difference... I wish I could.. but I cannot.

Re: In my imagination...the experience i have with friends...the special capacitors

destroyer X said:

I have called my daugther...as you know..woman and very young normally have excelent ears...and i was replacing a Silver Mica and a ceramic one...i tried replacement in many amplifier points..
and asking her:

- Attention sweet honey...this one is better or this other one..and replacing.... i made for many minutes and using different sounds

She asked me:

- Have you fooled me daddy..you replaced nothing...you just touched the board to produce some noise... but i perceive that you did not change nothing...sound was the same!!!

She told!!!...not me!!!!

Let me add this:
Human hearing is like this:
- a newborn baby has best 'golden ears'
- far better than any grown up!
- children and very young have a much better hearing than elderly men
.... this is as long as those young ears ARE NOT damaged,
for example by be exposed to Too High Volume Discoteque sound levels

Who could be a better judge of Amplifier Sound, than your young daughter?
Not only by physical ear, hearing thing
but also:
She knows Father very well ... she CAN BE Honest.
Very close friends CAN be Very honest ... no problems!

But with other people and only normal good friends
they may say:
"Yes, I think it sounds better now, Carlos" (now you did all that work with amp)
... this is because they want to be polite and not un-friendly.
And so KEEP friendship relation Good.

Now, close family is Very different here!
Whatever you say .. even The Truth :D
you just have to stay friends ... Family, blood relations, you know.

So, is not that big risk of being honest to your Father.
He always will be your One and Only Father .. no matter what.
Nothing can or will change this.

Until Death do you Apart :xeye:

lineup :) supports the new use of children you've created and have:
Use them for Listening Testers of Audio Gears! ;)
And why not give them a dollar or two, for doing this work .....

Good Barchetta.... nice conversation.... i have to say that one of the strongest

arguments people has to defend themselves when they have bougth fake magic gadgets is to say that you may not be able to listen...that your ears is not developed, trained.... focused.

This way they shut our mouthes immediattelly and the Myth goes living without beeing touched.

Another Myth is that one we have different years...only age will make this be real thing...or damaged ones because hard conditions of working or depressurise in airplanes.... Ilnesses...organic problems...we listen almost the same, as we are animals in essence and the audition was used to defend ourselves during nigthtime.

Of course exist Instruments and Method.... equipments you may use to evaluate things and method to evaluate...the better method, in my mind is the Blind A to B comparison...as i am sure we love to fool ourselves...in special when we already have bougth that damn cable.

.......................................................................................................

Graham Maynard called me to say that Ceramic capacitors are the same as other in applications were you have not too much voltage variations...he said that the voltage variations change the material characteristics.

Also he said that to VAS applications... as the Miller capacitor applied there...the SIlver Mica sounded clearly better.

Well...this guy is very respectable...have hundreds of texts in magazines.... he is one of the golden monsters of knowledge we have...i cannot discuss.... i will check once more...twice more..i will insist...not with believe.... but trying to perceive things

regards,

Carlos

I think a very important part of of doing AB testing is the time between A and B.

When I was testing the input caps there was zero time between bypass/not bypassed, it was instant. If I waited say 30 seconds between hearing the different combinations, I would have serious doubt about what I actually heard.

Having that doubt would leave my open to think I heard something I didn't.

Yes.... have to be almost instantaneous...switched...but a problem appear ..

The switch...the relay...how to make a perfect switching without losses and having trust that anyone will have advantage?

With switches and relays i always fell not secure....i have doubts and i have to invert to check

Instantaneous...yes.... this is the best way.

I made the Miller testings and surprise!..my circuit have not Miller?...was missed...and working fine...no need of.

I test using the feedback line.... i could not perceive differences, my wife also, my daugther also.... sounded the same with Ceramic and with Silver Mica.

Maybe the difference will appear in instruments...well...i am not an instrument...so.... will keep the circuit running without the Miller.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Thank you Lineup..you got it....nothing more honest and more cooperative

destroyer X said:
to help us when doing listening tests than children...and my building has 16 kids...all them good friends from my daugther.

I have now a very precise instrument...not corrupted, not educated to be kind.

hehe....was good this idea...i am proud of it.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos, obviously english is not your native language.. however, you have an amazing ability to communicate extremely well.. I understand every single sentence you write.. I am impressed. Sorry; I know its off topic but I just had to say it.

Thank you...this is great....all this is effort

and the decision to accept some shame when i perceive that i made graphic errors....and here, those things turns interesting, people is kind and they use to perpetuate, to turn things ethernal, and some expressions, in my view terrible aphocaliptic expressions , so funny they are, are beeing accepted because of people's goodwill.

Splendid.... was a movie when i was very young..."Love is the many splendored thing"...i think this was my source.

Well...i am glad you apreciate...but i feel a little ashamed when people show me those errors.

But thanks...you are beeing kind.

But i can express myself a little better in Portuguese.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Thank you...this is great....all this is effort

destroyer X said:
and the decision to accept some shame when i perceive that i made graphic errors....and here, those things turns interesting, people is kind and they use to perpetuate, to turn things ethernal, and some expressions, in my view terrible aphocaliptic expressions , so funny they are, are beeing accepted because of people's goodwill.

Splendid.... was a movie when i was very young..."Love is the many splendored thing"...i think this was my source.

Well...i am glad you apreciate...but i feel a little ashamed when people show me those errors.

But thanks...you are beeing kind.

But i can express myself a little better in Portuguese.

regards,

Carlos

My friend you should not be ashamed at all. You have an uncanny (extraordinary, special) ability to communicate with your limited english. At least this is my perception.. I don't know how, but I understand every damn sentence.. its weird. I am laughing as I think about it..

take care.

P.S. Please, I do not want to know if you are naked in your photo. :)

Negative to be naked, just with shirt off

Someone already asked that to me 2 years ago.

The temperature in my place is around 29 degrées celsius, and people here do not use shirt when inside home...unfortunattely girls do not follow our example.

I am living in the Northeast of Brazil...the point you have with small distance related Africa.... Ocidental extreme point i think....eastern extreme point.

Here the ocean watter is hot...near 25 degrées celsius...

Life turn more confortable when you leave in front of the beach, my sittuation, and inside a tall building were the air flows contantly from the sea into the land.

This State has 1000 kilometers deep..or something so great as this size, only near the sea we have good weather and green forest....more 100 kilometers into the west you will have terrible desert...alike those ones you have in Arizona-USA

Not naked....not pretty enougth for that...i was layed down over a big pillow, those ones you use around a Sofa...and my small daugther made the photograph..old style movie film...reason why i am so redish (not natural colour this one) and reason why my smile is so clean..this is pure love expression dedicated to my beloved daugther.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 100_8837.jpg
    100_8837.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 197
Well...i cannot tell you some details...but i was preparing

myself to travell...i was going to visit my first family....my former wife was trying to fish me once more.

My wife, the one is with me those last 15 years... was afraid and tried to keep good remembering off me.

And she did... 10 years ago... some magics that resulted my daugther.....

My wife is from Spain..she know how to dance my friend..got it?

Now a days...with 50 years old she is still in shape... completely protected against gravity effects...in shape!

yessss.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• img_4254.jpg
    img_4254.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 292
You know dear fratello Barchetta, this is an Italian name

I think.

Well....i am making efforts to perceive sonic results about the inclusion of big electrolitic condenser near the output transistors, into the rails...both rails.

I do not know if i am making some mistake...serious, not ironic this time...maybe 10 inches of supply cables twisted are producing a very low resistance communication between the supply and the power board.

I cannot observe anything better in bass reproduction...or related other frequencies.

My supply is huge, have big condensers and snubbers...and capacitors from plus to minus, plus to ground...minus to ground...have inductors in both rails...maybe this good supply is keeping the positive effects of this capacitor hidden.

I called 5 kids...no one perceived nothing...just first touch when noise came from the condenser beeing charged..that spike you know very well.

regards,

Carlos

Re: You know dear fratello Barchetta, this is an Italian name

destroyer X said:
I think.

Well....i am making efforts to perceive sonic results about the inclusion of big electrolitic condenser near the output transistors, into the rails...both rails.

I do not know if i am making some mistake...serious, not ironic this time...maybe 10 inches of supply cables twisted are producing a very low resistance communication between the supply and the power board.

I cannot observe anything better in bass reproduction...or related other frequencies.

Well, it's more or less expected. A well designed device will benefit little from snake oil (or even sound engineering like in this case).
Many marginally stable amps received legendary status among tweakers simply because they did respond to changes in cabling, odd capacitor change etc. as they would break into oscillation at a whim (adding "sparke", "color", "natural decay", "correct timbre" ... add your favourite audiophool phrase here).
Well designed devices won't. So they are inferior. Go figure.

I have a myth to bust too : "pinpoint imaging".
I've been to more live concerts I could count, and I never had a revelation or awakening of discovering "pinpoints". When I close my eyes, individual instruments' positions are just as diffuse and vague as on my speakers. No surprises - judging the position of a sound source from 20-30 meters away to within an inch or two using devices that aren't designed for that (ears) is simply impossible. Even people with abnormally accute hearing (blind people for example) can't do that.
And some golden ears still claim to be able to hear angle by which piano was positioned on stage to within arc minute on a multi miked recording. Yeah, pull the other one.

Ahahaha!...pull the other one was great.

I agree...hundred percent agreement...very good text.

I wish to write so clear this way...oh pain.... my vocabulary is so small that i think impossible to produce so nice and interesting narrative....have rithm...we can make recording and use it to broadcasting.

I have a friend that not only plays piano, he construct, repair and tune pianos...i will ask him if this is possible....hehe....go to pull another one!....ahahahhaah!... i am having pains so much i am laughing...i can imagine my piano friend face reading that.

five minutes conversation with you may be really interesting.... i have to say that i love Aussies deeply...what an interesting people!

Nice to listen you...i did not read you....i have listened....nice!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• p1140033_resize.jpg
    p1140033_resize.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 248
Re: Ahahaha!...pull the other one was great.

destroyer X said:

I have a friend that not only plays piano, he construct, repair and tune pianos...i will ask him if this is possible....hehe....go to pull another one!....ahahahhaah!... i am having pains so much i am laughing...i can imagine my piano friend face reading that.

five minutes conversation with you may be really interesting.... i have to say that i love Aussies deeply...what an interesting people!

Nice to listen you...i did not read you....i have listened....nice!

regards,

Carlos

Although I now spent more time in Melbourne than any other place I lived, I still can't claim to be a "true blue" (and probably never will be). And my vocabulary is far from I'd want it to be (but it's now too late, starting with a new language in late twenties just doesn't cut it I guess. One needs to go through the "proper" education to gain a full command of a language). But I thank you for the compliment anyway.

By the way, I do not think your English needs improving, your friendly, larger than life personna comes across just fine. It is not the precise spelling and proper gramar that makes someone pleasant to read.

That shot remided me of a composer I'm starting to discover and still kind of getting used to - John Cage. The idea of inserting nails, metal bars and screwdrivers into a beautiful Stainway is hard to fathom - what would your friend say to that ? :D

Re: Re: You know dear fratello Barchetta, this is an Italian name

Bratislav said:
I have a myth to bust too : "pinpoint imaging".
I've been to more live concerts I could count, and I never had a revelation or awakening of discovering "pinpoints". When I close my eyes, individual instruments' positions are just as diffuse and vague as on my speakers.

My experience is the same, though with fewer concerts. However, much recorded music is close miked, then probably mixed so that instruments can be perceived to be in a specific location.

My notion is this: This recording artifact creates an apparent aural location that is not usually (if ever) present in a real venue, at least in a larger venue. But that doesn't mean it's not a pleasant illusion. In a real venue, a sighted person doesn't need the aural location cues, because you see where the performers are and your brain integrates it all together. In your home, you do not have visual cues, so the location effect, even if it's largely artificial, helps fill in for your other senses, and creates a more effective illusion of a real performance. If it makes for greater enjoyment, then enjoy it. I think it's similar to the argument that some amount of harmonic distortion of the right type and proportion maybe fills in for things that are missing as compared to the live experience, and can enhance the listening experience of recorded music.

Of course, this is all inexact, and therefore frustrates and annoys the school that subscribes to the straight wire with gain school of engineering. I do think that the physics side is fully knowable, and ultimately measureable and quantifiable. I don't believe there is anything mystical about it. What we don't know well is how we perceive things, and how our individual emotional response varies. That's where the art and science come together.

Sheldon

i just did a cap upgrade to a Peavey PA amplifier today, customer complained that the bass was weak, and wanted more bass. i replaced his 4700uf/63v caps with 10,000uf/63v caps, and got a bit more solid sounding bass out of his 100w amp, not a lot, but it is definitely noticeable.

Re: Re: Re: You know dear fratello Barchetta, this is an Italian name

Sheldon said:

My experience is the same, though with fewer concerts. However, much recorded music is close miked, then probably mixed so that instruments can be perceived to be in a specific location.

Yes, I do agree that sometimes it can be fun. Unfortunately most of my listening taste commands no close miking, or results are REALLY bad (large orchestra for example). Even for a small jazz combo I prefer not to have close miking / synthetic soundstage as it often results in unnaturally large images (drumkit four meters wide etc.).

I think it's similar to the argument that some amount of harmonic distortion of the right type and proportion maybe fills in for things that are missing as compared to the live experience, and can enhance the listening experience of recorded music.
In this case I'm fully against it. I prefer to hear the recording as the artist (including producers) intended it.
Adding to the recorded sound to me would be like buying Van Gogh and then airbrushing the sunflowers to make them more "real".

Re: Re: Thank you...this is great....all this is effort

barchetta said:

My friend you should not be ashamed at all. You have an uncanny (extraordinary, special) ability to communicate with your limited english. At least this is my perception.. I don't know how, but I understand every damn sentence.. its weird. I am laughing as I think about it..

Carlos way of expression has been commented many times.
I have never had any problems with it.

And is my Strong Opnion is:
- this forum website
- would not be 80% as good as now
- with Carlos writing all his posts in PERFECTLY BORING ENGLISH

:cool:

We have quite a bunch of boring people here,
often very highly educated,
and some even Engineer with DEGREE (Wooow!)

We need something to balance this.
:clown: Some extra-ordinary Unique Minds and opinions :clown:

It is here Carlos Destroyer X, a few other original persons
and hopefully me, lineup .. sometimes comes in!
We will make forum a more interesting a fun place.

Better for all of you.
Even for the those boring besserwisser (better knowers).
I guess you have read one or two posts from such.

Regardos, extra muche
lineup

============================================

APPENDIX A.
Some quotes about very special words & expressions, used by the Creator destroyer X

---------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sheldon

Another addition to the English language dictionary.

First we had Explendid:

Excellent, adjective - of great virtue or high quality + Splendid, adj. - magnificent, inspiring = Explended adj. - of such great virtue as to be inspiring.

And now we have Adequating (also the verb Adequate, and the past tense, Adequated):

Adequate, adj. - equal to certian requirement or occasion.

Adequate, verb - the process of transforming an object to meet a certian requirement.

You are going to keep Webster busy.

I like these new words.

Sheldon

Originally posted by destroyer X

I have bougth a dictionaire, and this one will be used as it is not smelling bad because of fungus....now i will take a good look the way words are correctly written.

Fungus... white or brown or green plants that born in places were you have humidity and low ligth conditions.

Also i will try not to create words too.

I was never in school to learn English.... the words i know are the result of big effort.

By the way, as i use to follow your texts too.... congratulations because you have fixed your ground loop problems.

hehe...sorry.

Carlos

Originally posted by AKSA
Sheldon,

I always loved Carlos' word 'delicating'.

Marvellous!! Captures the essence of being delicate beautifully, with almost a feminine allure.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Originally posted by Sheldon

I missed that one. It's a good one. Delicating, verb - adding refinement in form or function, especially with great sensitivity.

Carlo's wants to apologize for not being formally trained in English. I'm glad he wasn't. Formal education has value, but it also emphasizes conformity to current norms. A popular notion in our present culture is the idea of "thinking outside the box" (outside the norms). Carlos doesn't have to try, he is "outside the box". No native speaker would come up with such poetic modifications and conjugations of ordinary words.

But there is one other element of personality at work. Carlos is not afraid to express his own style. I think that he and Satchel Paige would have gotten on well. Satchel was a highly skilled and enormously popular baseball pitcher in the Negro leagues, at a time when only white players were allowed in the top professional leagues. A short version of his philosophy: "work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching."

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.