• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have realized that there is another king of regulator for the LDR volume control. It was designed by Salas, using leds as shunts for reference.
Schematic in the attached file. You will need to add the input, output and adj-to-ground caps, and the output load resistor.

Attachments

• LightSPeeDminiShunt-for 56mA CCS and 2.2Vf matched LED.gif
    LightSPeeDminiShunt-for 56mA CCS and 2.2Vf matched LED.gif
    4 KB · Views: 319
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Uriah still without internet

I just got a message from Uriah that he is still waiting for internet in his home and looks more like tomorrow afternoon before he is hooked up and online with everybody.

He mentioned that the Obbligatos have arrived, so that is some good news.

Here was the original LDR deal from Uriah on page 19 of this thread.

'Another thing. I obviously sell LDRs to build the Lightspeed. I have some LDR Mount and Balance boards I sell for $8 and matched quads of LDRs I sell for $35. Normally I charge 10 shipping worldwide for any order. For anyone buying in this group buy: If you want to build a Lightpseed all you need is the board/LDRs/100k pot/ 5VDC supply. I will include the LDRs and Mount and Balance board for a total of 30. You dont have extra shipping or extra 13 you would normally pay. So saving about 23 from purchasing some other time. I will also supply the 5k pot, 200R trimmer, 4 limiting resistors free of charge. So thats another 2 dollar or so value.'

Later somewhere Uriah offers to throw in a 100K dual linear pot, but says the volume comes on rather fast with this...

I managed to get everything (all the passives and a chunk of board) to build a PSU for about 10 dollars, still waiting for the LM338.

Uriah, I would have very mixed feelings about having no internet at home!
Only working from the office! Sounds great!

Bill

I bought a full LDR kit from Uriah, doesn'y it contain even the PSU and the pot? :rolleyes:

No, because each one has a different method in mind to supply it. What PSU to include? a toroidal transformer? An EI transformer? an external transformer in a box for plugging it to the wall? Should he made the PSU suitable to tap the voltage from the MyRef_C?
Each one will have his own method in mind. I'm not even going to put it inside the MyRef_C, but in a separate preamp I already have.

And for the pot...I suppose more or less the same, given the wide range out there each one will choose different shaft lenght and so...

I just got a message from Uriah that he is still waiting for internet in his home and looks more like tomorrow afternoon before he is hooked up and online with everybody.

He mentioned that the Obbligatos have arrived, so that is some good news.

Is the GB closed? If not, how does he know how many input caps to buy?

Regards,
Regi

MyRefC Lightspeed PSU

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttLWNtAmAhedDJSVmstUklyU1JiWTVHUm1QOEF4Y1E&hl=en

Here you have the Mouser BOM:
R1: 71-RN55D-F-100
R2: 71-RN55D3300F
R3: 71-RN55D-F-499
C1, C3: 80-T356B105K050AT
C2: 80-T350G106K035AT
C4: 667-EEU-FC1V101
D1, D2: 512-1N4002
Pot: 313-2420F-100K
Mouser doesn't have the L338 in their stock, you could replace it with the LM317 without a hassle. It provides already more than 20x times the requiered power by the Lightspeed,and is as good as the LM338. Here is the part number: 512-LM317T

I have just revised your RS part numbers and all you have selected will work alright. Good to go! :bulb:

Thanks RegiRegi, I added your Mouser selection to the spreadsheet.

Bill

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I heard from Uriah re. Obbligato caps

Uriah sent me a text message. He said that based on his previous MyRef group buy, he dipped into his own pocket and bought extras because he will get additional requests for MyRef kits after the gb is long over. So even those that come late to the party will still have a chance of having the Obbligatos in their MyRef. I'm sure he'll be watching that closely.

Its kind of nice with no internet and no TV :)
We got a lot of work done on the house and started a lot of projects that will now need to be finished. You all know how that is.
The house is beautiful. Celia is very very happy (thanks Bill for your kind wishes). She loves her new playset in the backyard.
The unfortunate things: Fire ants everywhere. They hurt and Celia has 15 bites on her left foot. Poison has been liberally applied to their mounds. Cursed things. Two termite mounds have been found. One is eating my fence and one my garage. Poison as well. Will call exterminator. People moved out and scratched up the floor pretty good. Left the place a dirty mess and have not taken care of the house in years. Things we didnt see with stars in our eyes at our visits to the house before purchasing. However, all those things aside we really do like the house and are really happy to again be in a home that feels like home.
Sonidos is going to come visit us to help kit and hopefully he can bring his beautiful daughter to play with Celia and equally beautiful (AND hifi approving) wife to visit with Ali in on the weekend after next.
So things are coming along. I will start answering some of my emails this evening after putting the kid to bed. Right now the painters are here and obviously the cable guy was here a while ago. Heading to Houston in a few minutes to get a desk for my office. The other was destroyed in the move. Glad for that almost. Really could use one that is better for electronics than typing.
Uriah

Regi,
I want to thank you for helping out so much with questions while I was away.
One point to cover. The reason I dont provide an entire Lightspeed kit is that I promised GeorgeHiFi I would never provide an entire kit. So this is why the power supply is missing. Also, my circuit is not exactly a Lightspeed but its so darn close that I feel I should still honor our agreement by not providing a total kit. The difference is that the protection is on the ground rather than positive side and balancing 'between' two LDRs rather than just increasing/decreasing ONE LDR to get balance is available on this board.
Thanks again Regi.
Uriah

Low tech pest management

Uriah, I hope you have the bugs under control?
Don't forget boiling water is very effective short term and has low environmental impact! (Technically I suppose that depends how you boil the water!)
It's not 'maxi-slaughter' technology but can be a usefull aid till the pro's arrive with the W's of M.D.

Apparently you can persuade a colony of ants to move next door using boiling water! But then, I am sure you can google too!

When I was a teepee dwelling hippy many moons ago, we had an ant problem and a wise old crone
(i.e. some passing woman with ill-fitting vaguely ethnic clothing (that's partly plagiarised!)) suggested making an offering of jam to the problem ants, some distance from the teepee. I was too out of it to remember whether it worked or not!
Probably depends on what kind of jam you're using!
Maybe we just smoked the ants out of the teepee!

I'm not making light of your trials, but sometimes a laugh can help.

Cheers all
Bill

Last edited:
Right on Bill :)
I dont like using chemicals, especially with the kid being in the yard so much. However, finding her screaming with ants all over her takes the environmentalist out of me in that regard. Boiling water could be some good revenge though.
Any suggestions for squirrels in the attic!? I just had it out with a squirrel that wasnt scared of me one bit. I smacked him with my hand through the screen he was on. He fell and yelled at me. I went outside and he is clinging to the side of the house not 3ft from me and wont run. So I pushed the bushes near the house against the outside wall of the house, knocking him down. He wont run. Got the broom and knocked him off the side of the house again and he runs about 10 ft. I walked after him and he kept a safe distance as I walked him to the neighbors yard. Probably he will be back in 5 minutes. Persistant!
uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.