• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lightspeed PSU parts

Sorry folks I was unclear;-
I am asking for idiot proof specs for the parts required to make a PSU for the Lightspeed, taking power from the myRefC PSU board as Regiregi suggests.
I ordered the Lightspeed parts and board from Uriah of course!
I am purchasing in Japan and may have to make substitutions.

Thanks
Bill

Sorry folks I was unclear;-
I am asking for idiot proof specs for the parts required to make a PSU for the Lightspeed, taking power from the myRefC PSU board as Regiregi suggests.
I ordered the Lightspeed parts and board from Uriah of course!
I am purchasing in Japan and may have to make substitutions.

Thanks
Bill

Are yu going to use the Lightspeed attenuator with the Myref?

lightspeed with the MyRef C

That is the plan, I want to use the lightspeed with the MyRefC.
Regiregi gives details on page 23 of this post and an improved schematic on Page 24 post 234.
I'm working on sourcing the parts myself (I might learn something) but I am a newcomer to DIY audio and a 'solder by numbers' type of builder. :confused:

Bill

Lightspeed PSU for MyRef C

I checked first with Regiregi by PM and he agreed it was a good idea to post a BOM for this PSU as an excel file so here's a google docs link for that.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttLWNtAmAhedGMzekwyTHQ3Wk1TNU5hU3pMNHQyZUE&hl=en

The Farnell column shows Regiregi's best available choices along with their Farnell part numbers.
Thanks for all your help Regi.

If anyone else has done a shopping cart with another supplier maybe they can add the PN's and save us all some work. I'm off to check out RS (they are here in Japan).

Shout if you spot any silly mistakes from me! (Everyone else does!)

Hope this post isn't out of place.
Bill

Thanks for your efforts, Billo, they are greatly appreciated.
I can see you have a "?" symbol next to R2 part number. If that means you are unsure, I can confirm you that the component is appropiate ;)

For the load resistor R3, it is suitable to use something between 200 and 500 ohms aprox. The lower, the more consumption, and maybe the better regulation. 500 Ohms will consume 50mW (10mA), 200 will consume 125mW (25mA).
For D1 and D2, you can use RS part nº 628-8953 (1N4002). There isn't any advantage in using 1N4003 (maximum 200v), as 1N4001 already support max 100v.

If I have some time later at home, I will send you a BOM for mouser orders.

I've been watching this thread with much interest having com across the full thread on this amp a few months ago. Building this amp will be new terrritory for me but I have just plucked up the courage to order 2 kits. Thanks for all the work - especially organising the group buy.

Cheers - Geoff

Lightspeed Attenuator PSU for MyRef C BOM

Thanks Regi,
I'm adding the extra details as I can.
Looks like I can probably find most of this at my local hobby store.

You said;-
'For the load resistor R3, it is suitable to use something between 200 and 500 ohms aprox. The lower, the more consumption, and maybe the better regulation. 500 Ohms will consume 50mW (10mA), 200 will consume 125mW (25mA).'

Would we be fine using the same spec as R2 for R3then?
500 Ohms seems hard to find.
That would save some hassle since RS often have a 5 or 10 MOQ.

Thanks
Bill

Excuse the basic question, but my knowledge of electronics is limited and I'm trying to learn as I go along.

In Mauro's original schematic he has 1 uF caps at C24 (left channel) and C9 (right channel), just after the hot signal in path on both sides. Am I correct in my understanding that these are coupling capacitors to block any residual DC current from the input?

I wish to use the DCB1 pre amp in front of the My Ref and so I want to make sure that the caps mentioned above are indeed the coupling caps I think they are.

Thanks and looking forward to getting my Ref C kit as well.

Excuse the basic question, but my knowledge of electronics is limited and I'm trying to learn as I go along.

In Mauro's original schematic he has 1 uF caps at C24 (left channel) and C9 (right channel), just after the hot signal in path on both sides. Am I correct in my understanding that these are coupling capacitors to block any residual DC current from the input?

I wish to use the DCB1 pre amp in front of the My Ref and so I want to make sure that the caps mentioned above are indeed the coupling caps I think they are.

Thanks and looking forward to getting my Ref C kit as well.
yes they are, you can DC-couple your DCB1 without trouble, just check you have no DC offset before the DCB1

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I heard from Uriah

Everyone:

Uriah gave me a quick call to let me know he is doing okay. Right now he is working on a DIY recipe for heating ointment. Anyone got the recipe for Ben-Gay?:D

Seriously, he is pretty tired after all the moving. He had their apartment and storage facility to move. He is also still without internet connection, so he hasn't received any emails or has seen any threads related to the My_Ref.

He said given the hard work, it is likely he won't be available until late Monday to receive emails and check messages in the forum and this thread in particular. He wishes he could be back sooner, but he is really beat.

He did mention that he has received resistors and caps. He also mentioned that Parts Connexion already shipped him the parts. They were prompt! I also believe I heard him say the Black Gates have arrived. He's ordered Obbligatos but I don't think he has those yet, but he should soon.

So all in all, he was pretty upbeat on parts shipments. He said he will probably put in an order to Mouser, but here in Texas, Mouser can get stuff to us within in a day.

I hope this helps all of you who are on the edge of your seats waiting to know when the kits are in the mail! Have a good weekend.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttLWNtAmAhedDJSVmstUklyU1JiWTVHUm1QOEF4Y 1E&h

Hi Folks,
I added the RS and Digikey part numbers for the PSU here.
Note these need checking I'm not an expert!

The Farnell pn's are Regiregi selections.

Here's the link to the Googledocs BOM again, hope this saves folk some searching time.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...QOEF4Y1E&hl=en

and link to Regiregis schematic on page 24

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/160768-myref_c-ultimate-bom-24.html#post2135761
Bill
For any reason, neither of both links works ok for me. The first is bad written, but the second one...I don't know why it doesn't.
This is the good one for the BOM spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AttLWNtAmAhedDJSVmstUklyU1JiWTVHUm1QOEF4Y1E&hl=en
lm338
Here you have the Mouser BOM:
R1: 71-RN55D-F-100
R2: 71-RN55D3300F
R3: 71-RN55D-F-499
C1, C3: 80-T356B105K050AT
C2: 80-T350G106K035AT
C4: 667-EEU-FC1V101
D1, D2: 512-1N4002
Pot: 313-2420F-100K
Mouser doesn't have the L338 in their stock, you could replace it with the LM317 without a hassle. It provides already more than 20x times the requiered power by the Lightspeed,and is as good as the LM338. Here is the part number: 512-LM317T

I have just revised your RS part numbers and all you have selected will work alright. Good to go! :bulb:

Thanks Regi,
Sorry about the bad link peeps!
It got gremlin'd somehow...
I'll put the Mouser numbers in the file soon.

I appreciate your checking the RS numbers Regi!
I'm sure most people don't need this kind of help, it just seems like a waste of time for 30 or 40 people to do the same search routine when we can spread the load and free up a bit of time for other things.

Uriah I hope your back is OK and the new place is working out!
Hope you have a good workshop/den/bench in the workings?

I had to look up 'Ben-Gay'...
Sounds more like a personal inclination than a medication!
I regularly do time with low back pain (far too regularly!), pain may be cathartic in theory, but it can really wear you down as well!

I hope your daughter is happy, moving can be very stressful for younger kids.
My eldest is seven and she's about to move into her own room! Even this is a big change for her, kids get a license to grow up very slowly in Japan.

Cheers all
Bill

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question.

I'm going to order two MyRef_C kits from Uriah's site. However, I want to build a Lightspeed attenuator as well using Uriah's offer on the same site. For a stereo preamp, do I need to order one or two sets of LDRs and Mounting Board from the website?

Thanks,
Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.