• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kreisky,

My idea of the best path is to build the FEs first and try them with your speakers. As reported earlier, I built a sub using a driver with an 66 lb magnet and a 500 W Bash amp (Carver Sunfire Clone). Haven't even turned it on for stereo since the beta FE build. I only keep it for the occasional block-buster movie - but even then it's connected to a separate Denon HT receiver. You might not need a sub at all. I'm using 8" woofers and am quite happy with how it fills the room with these amps.

IMHO, the heart of the MyRef series and the FEs in particular, is the emphasis on "refinement" more than power or high output. Potential builders should keep that in mind while considering system configurations. My personal interest in biamping is sound quality and definition, not necessarily higher SPL.

Thanks Bob for your advice, I agree with you.
The first thing I will do is trying My-ref FE with my speaker. I am going slightly OT, sorry, but just to explain what I have done until now.
I have build a 2 ways speaker with 6" mid-woofer in Bass Reflex tuned to 40hz. The speaker are 20 liter and sound good, they are on stand. I have work a lot in the box (+/- liter) and port (+- fb). The bass is well defined and "fast" at mid and high SPL but it is not enough present when I listen, as I ofetn do, at low SPL.
Once finished this work, I look at them and thought: why don't you eliminate the stands and put a woofer or subwoofer in sealed box for each speaker? But I have max 25 liter and maybe subwoofers it's a better solution. Isn't it ? From 40hz to 80hz. I dont need to go down to 20hz.
Anyway, I will do first My-ref FE and I will decide if going on with this project. And if I go on with bi-amp I will utilize first the My-ref FE for mid-high and the My-ref C for the subwoofer. If My-ref C has not enough power to drive 2 subwoofers then I will buy a amp like UCD400 or equivalent.
I don't watch film, just listen to music, I love piano, classic music, jazz, not too much rock... yesterday I was listening to Caetano Veloso at low SPL and it lacks some bass frequencies, like percussion and bass.
/OT

Bye :)
marco

Like this:

Do you think it is a bad path/project?

Attachments

• IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 214
Hey Jake, we're getting the band back together

I mean, we're getting the BOM back together.

Since I was placing a Mouser order, I figured that I would look into the FE BOM and add some components to the Mouser order.

As some of us have found out, the "best part" for C1,C2, the Elna RJH, isn't available in the US. Dario is correct, you guys in Europe can order from Elfa-Distrelec, but for the "Rest of the World" they charge a 50 Euro shipping as a minimum. Ouch.

Dario,

I am looking at my options from Mouser, PCX, etc. Mouser has the Fine Gold, the Muse (7.5 mm lead spacing, so doable, but not ideal), the Elna RFS (Simlic II), and the Panasonic FM. PCX, DigiKey, etc don't really have anything else to offer. Do you have any opinions or suggestions on these?

Jac

Jac, Did you check for an alternative at Partsconnexion ? They aren't too bad shipping to the U.S. from Canada.

And the hard way might work. eBay RJH

Bob,

Partsconnexion didn't have anything better to offer than Mouser.

Ebay might work, but I guess I'm questioning the required voltage rating. We are using the caps on a 14 volt DC circuit, so the 25 volt parts available from China might be good enough. I usually like a full 2x the expected voltage for the capacitor rating, but this is close. The BOM specifies a 50 volt capacitor. I can't remember if anyone was OK with the 25 volt and if there are any other problems with 25 V.

If 25 V were OK, there is an Ebay seller with a quantity of 20 available for about $10. I need 8. I would be happy to share the rest.

Jac

I am concerned about C9. The Blackgate really is the best in that spot, but you can say bye bye to BG. The supply has pretty much dried up.

Dario, I have a notion that the Mundorf AG might sound good there, but the smallest available is 1" diameter with .390" between lugs, not wire leads. Smallest value is 1000uF. Is there any chance those would fit (even with a little wiggling and shifting other parts as I have done in the past), and is such a large value a problem in the circuit? Andrew T was always claiming that C9 should be larger than 220uF. Is there such a thing as too large?

Peace,
Tom E

I'll join a group buy for U.S builders for either those or a direct purchase from Elfa-Distrelec.

I'm using THESE FROM eBAY and am very happy with what I hear. I was going to buy a bunch but held off. They came packaged professionally and I have no reason to suspect they aren't authentic. Aprox. 16mm x 31mm - 220uf 50V

Attachments

• 20130317_185526.jpg
    20130317_185526.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I am concerned about C9. The Blackgate really is the best in that spot, but you can say bye bye to BG. The supply has pretty much dried up.

Peace,
Tom E

Tom,

Partsconnexion still stocks the 220 uF Blackgate PK. It's only rated at 4 volts, but doesn't seem to have a problem in C9. I've been running them for months. I can support the idea that the PK sounds better than the STD. Dario once said that it wasn't as good as the NX or FK, but was pretty good and maybe the best of the available.

After that, its going to take some digging. I tried an AVX Niobium SMD cap that sounded as good as the PK in my system, but I don't think Dario liked it. It was also difficult to use because it soaks up humidity. You have to solder it just after removing it from it's "dry bag" or it may crack during soldering.

Soonsc came up with some CapXon NP bipolar caps which I thought sounded pretty good, but I haven't heard of anyone else trying them. They were something that he could get in the East, but not easily available.

Of course, there is the Fine Gold as a fall back.

Anyway, I share your concern. I'm happy that I have a small stock of PKs to cover me for now.

Jac

Blackgate Fever

I'll join a group buy for U.S builders for either those or a direct purchase from Elfa-Distrelec.

I'm using these from eBay and am very happy with what I hear. I was going to buy a bunch but held off. They came packaged professionally and I have no reason to suspect they aren't authentic. Aprox. 16mm x 31mm - 220uf 50V

Bob,

I'll bet you got a better deal than what is available now.

There is a guy in Taiwan who is selling those. He wants $13.50 + $20 shipping but will only add $1 shipping for each additional part. The same guy will sell 50 of them for $540 with free shipping. That is $10.80 per. If we believe that they are genuine and could get enough guys together to buy 50, it might be interesting. Personally, I could use 8 minimum, probably a few more. Just thinking out loud.

Is this the same guy as you purchased from earlier, jojollk2009?

Black Gate F Series Electrolytic Capacitor 220uF 50V 50pcs | eBay

Jac

As some of us have found out, the "best part" for C1,C2, the Elna RJH, isn't available in the US.
(...)
Do you have any opinions or suggestions on these?

I can buy them for those interested.

A costly alternative would be the BG F linked by Bob.

BTW while RJHs are sweeter and better balanced than FMs, I wouldn't say the latters sound bad.

Dario, I have a notion that the Mundorf AG might sound good there

Hi Tom,

As Jac already noted there is still availability of the 220uF 4V BG PK.

They sound pretty good, better than BG STD and not far from BG FK/NX

Also the BG F linked by Bob should be a nice choice, probably excellent also for C1/C2.

If someone is willing to organize a GB for them I'll be in for 4 of them ;)

Also Jac's AVX is a viable alternative, they sound full and sweet but a bit dry, like BG STD.

Mundorf AG are truly excellent caps but I don't think they will fit nicely... until alternatives are available I would buy those.

Regarding size I'm using 470uf BG NX without problems but I wouldn't go higher than that.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.