• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My version of the Simple EL84 or rise of the anti-triode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Umm, yes the Zo is halved since both tubes are effectively in parallel compared to a single SE tube.

Don

Hmm, will it?
When the right tube is run in pentode mode it will have a very high Rp compared to the left one which is acting more like a triode with low(ish) Rp.

I have difficulty understanding all aspects of this output stage topology, but I have tried to read up on this earlier thread on the subject: Beyond SET and ParaFeed.... Complementary Current Triode started by our smoking-amp Don.

SveinB.

Hmm, will it?
When the right tube is run in pentode mode it will have a very high Rp compared to the left one which is acting more like a triode with low(ish) Rp.

I have difficulty understanding all aspects of this output stage topology, but I have tried to read up on this earlier thread on the subject: Beyond SET and ParaFeed.... Complementary Current Triode started by our smoking-amp Don.

SveinB.

But when the right tube is current-slaved to the triode, the Zo of the stage
is 1/2 that of the triode alone (and the Po is 2X), assuming equal operating points.

IOW, the slave tube is forced to provide equal signal current swing to the
master tube, and the feedback is from the output (both tubes) to the grid
of the master tube (triode or Schadeode, doesn't matter).

I have validated it through measurement of prototype amplifiers also.

Cheers,

Michael

The currents are equal and opposite for previously described reason.
The voltages are equal and opposite (even though pentode doesn't
have Mu of its own) because of the transformer coupling...

Therefore the power assist from the Pentode is equal to the Triode.

And if one considers "plate resistance" as the slope of a VI curve,
if forced to be exactly equal (in quiescent state) and opposite of
the controlling triode when so slaved.. Doesn't matter how was
strapped to make it act that way, only the end effect. Its now an
Anti-Triode.

Last edited:
The currents are equal and opposite for previously described reason.
The voltages are equal and opposite (even though pentode doesn't
have Mu of its own) because of the transformer coupling...

Therefore the power assist from the Pentode is equal to the Triode.

And if one considers "plate resistance" as the slope of a VI curve,
if forced to be exactly equal (in quiescent state) and opposite of
the controlling triode when so slaved.. Doesn't matter how was
strapped to make it act that way, only the end effect. Its now an
Anti-Triode.

Resistance is futile.

A minor comment on the amplifier anti-triode aspect. To get SE sound out of this thing, the right PL84 output tube should have higher gm than the left one. As it stands, its a self splitting balanced P-P class A "triode" amp. It either needs doubling up the right side tube (and cut DC idle for each) or use a bigger tube or a Mosfet to get to SE sound (.....if that's the goal).

Hey Don,

Did a sim using two 6GW8 models vs. one 6GW8 and one DN2540 and can confirm this. The SE signature is lost using a Schaded pentode together with a pentode. But it still acts like a PP triode.

I did a few mods yesterday. Firstly i took out cap C5, which just confirmed that that was a bad idea as now it has quite a bit of hum. It has at least confirmed that the +B could do with a bit more filtering which I will try.
I then inserted a 18K resistor between the 6AU6 plate and the feedback resistor and coupling cap. I also increased the feedback resistor to 82K. All hint of the harshness has gone now so it was obviously a problem of overloaded driver.
My next steps are to try reversing the polarity of the OT to see if that cleans up the sound a tad. I have decided the easiest way to deal with the excessive gain is to voltage divide down the input - which I will do today.
I like the sound, clean and detailed with good bass extension. I will do another test up against my benchmark Tabor clone.

shoog

Hey Don,

Did a sim using two 6GW8 models vs. one 6GW8 and one DN2540 and can confirm this. The SE signature is lost using a Schaded pentode together with a pentode. But it still acts like a PP triode.

Interesting. I suppose the gm nonlinearities of the 2 similar tubes cancel each
other out through the common cathode signal voltage.

Lars, can I get a copy of your .asc to play with this?

Thanks!

Michael

I did a few mods yesterday. Firstly i took out cap C5, which just confirmed that that was a bad idea

Its a great idea, but not by itself. Won't do any good until both sides float
the same hum. If grid of pentode on the right remains ground ref'd, hum will
only be aggrivated, exactly as you observed.

If you re-utilize your C5, to bypass G1 of rightmost pentode up to B+ hum...
Now you got a situation where hum can be fully balanced and cancelled.

I may try that, as there is a slight amount of residual clean power supply hum left. At this stage I have things working well and am reluctant to mess about to much as this usually cascades into multiple other problems (you should see it in there - not a lot of room).
I will draw up a revised schematic for completeness sake. After that anyone who wants to place improved versions for discussion would be more than welcome. At the moment the design is still elegantly simple and performing well so I am happy.

Shoog

kenpeter;1912734 You are putting 1/Mu hum to the cathode said:
Don't know how things work out, as applied to an amp like this. But, in my regular SE LF, the feedback is at least close to zero. I didn't do careful measurements, but I could hear no difference in volume level when I clipped in or out the connection from output to input cathode.

Sheldon

So heres the revised and corrected schematic.
Thanks for all the valuable input and I hope the information is of use to some of you.

Shoog

Attachments

• Self Splitter.jpg
    Self Splitter.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:
Don't know how things work out, as applied to an amp like this. But, in my regular SE LF, the feedback is at least close to zero. I didn't do careful measurements, but I could hear no difference in volume level when I clipped in or out the connection from output to input cathode.

Sheldon

Yeah, about what I thought. LW's ultrapath dominates over the cathode to
cathode Pfeedback... Can't cancel out input cathode resistor's Nfeedback
this way. Not much different than sampling hum directly from the top rail...

Gonna be even more the case here... With anti-triode as an ultrapath cap
multiplier. The node between output cathodes should closely follow the high
rail hum in terms of a voltage swing. And the input signal in terms of current
swing.

Anyways, CHB shouldn't be necessary once all real triodes are out of the
picture... High plate impedance flips the hum to the high rail, and no need
to do an injection at the cathode.

Anyways, CHB shouldn't be necessary once all real triodes are out of the
picture... High plate impedance flips the hum to the high rail, and no need
to do an injection at the cathode.

Not sure if you're talking about a Schadeode here, but if you are, won't the
plate-grid feedback impose equivalent AC current from B+ ripple as the low Ri
of a real triode would?

Remember, your plate to plate Schade network is folding back to the top rail
(assuming C5 wasn't there). And thats why we want to let the entire output
stage float on that same hum...

The output stage cathodes sitting on CCS won't mind...
And its easy enough to bypass the Anti-Triode's grid to that same B+ noise.

To be clear, the Loftin White PSRR treatment only applies if the input stage is
a Triode with low plate impedance. I am suggesting it is more trouble than its
worth to fix the Triode's PSRR probs. A pentode simply works better here.

Last edited:
Shoog
Can you elaborate on the OPT? 220AC in/8VDC toroidal power trans out? Any brand? How does that relate to US 120AC in? Would you expect this normally crucial part to have less effect on the sound than in use with other amps? Hate to think I've been wasting my money on big buck OPT!

Re: Lars:
"Hey Don,

Did a sim using two 6GW8 models vs. one 6GW8 and one DN2540 and can confirm this. The SE signature is lost using a Schaded pentode together with a pentode. But it still acts like a PP triode."

Very interesting. Did the schaded pentode with equal gm pentode model show any even harmonics at all? After Michael mentioned the triode/pentode dissimilarity of effective gm (plate gm cancelling some grid 1 gm), I've been thinking there would be some SE signature, but not a strong SE signature that way. I'm away from my usual computer, so I can't do any sims here.

I think Shoog's approach will soon have us all building models.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.