My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Only if I keep the BD's right?

Steen.

nope
in all cases
look at pic-this way you kill half a ripple in each leg

sometimes that is plus,sometimes not

ears will decide
hehe-and with my messy breadboard reg-I'll have closer to 25V,even if that doesn't matter much

Attachments

• chokys_darlington.jpg
    chokys_darlington.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 592
Choky,

At far as I understood from Steen the buzz was not at 120hz (or 100 for that matter) It seems to me that the trouble with the regs don't lay on the smoothing, but once again I could be wrong. And if this is the case it would be easier to solve it with higher capacitance on the first and second cap after the diode bridge, say 4700u. And that’s it I guess.

1,000u seems low…:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:
Choky,

At far as I understood from Steen the buzz was not at 120hz (or 100 for that matter) It seems to me that the trouble with the regs don't lay on the smoothing, but once again I could be wrong. And if this is the case it would be easier to solve it with higher capacitance on the first and second cap after the diode bridge, say 4700u. And that’s it I guess.

1,000u seems low…:)

you're right 1mil %
but we try (I ,we....;)) to find minimum in topology
in any case-my variation will be with 10.000uF

as I said before ,ears will decide what is better -more ouhmps or faster (smaller) bank

hehe ,I made not just one GainClone,and I learned my s*it from that xperience
anyway-just one darilngton is not good as tl431,but in any case have way less feedback and mumbojumbo; from that reasons-quality with so simple solution must be backed with enough capacitance and speed in that capacitance (that is why I tried for start with just 100uF in parallel with transistor)

xistor is pretty good on lower ripple fqvncs,but not so good on higher-there we must trust on good ole cap

so,let steen try it and ,I suppose, that we can make some finalllllll version

hehe-if nothing else-I'm sure that Emperor of Lateral Thinking have some good laughnin' looking at this thread

:clown:

I have ordered a fresh supply of zeners. The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe its the zeners causing this buzz. The buzz is not at low freq. more in freq. level with Luke's Lightsaber.
So before blowing up your heads, doing too much speculating, I will try and finish a new supply, shortly. :) Once and for all, to rule out bad components. The transistors are looking directly at the zeners, so to speak, so a bad performing zener has a good chance to inject some noise, or what do you think about that?

Steen:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Who is that? It crossed my mind that someone would be laughing, looking at this thread. We have been cooking this shunt reg for a while:D :D Well, let them laugh,
or contribute;) , whatever suits that Emperor, of yours:smash:

Steen:cool:

in a meantime ,you can try this:
http://choky.on.neobee.net/images/fusekiller.gif

or this (my friend Oli is also ,suddenly, "warmed" for shunt regs):

( in any case-CS will do the better job ,regarding noise etc and that is thrue for BD or darlington or even mosfet shunt implementation,no matter which sort you choose; me humble thinks (hehe) that this is sort of overcomplication,but-what the heck-if ya wanna ,try it ;))

Attachments

• oli_shunt.gif
    oli_shunt.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 447
For zeners, do you guys have a preference betwetn the 1N's and the BZX85C's?
Not really until now. I just ordered some of the BZX ones. The ones used in the shunt reg was another type. If the BZX's turns out less noisy, they might become a favourite device :)

Looks good ,Choky. Might be worth a shot, if the NS10's psr is to lousy for the other reg.

Steen :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steen -while you wait fro some parts for our simple shunt with bjt darlingtons ,you can see that I'm also just walked in computerized era (see attachment) .

I presume that you have enough parts in drawer ; I don't have any spare (read -not preciouss in this moment ) mosfets or jfets to try

besides-I'm pretty new to this silly SS stuff ,meaning on construction ,even if simple shunt with fets is in case......

Attachments

• oli shunt reg for ns10.gif
    oli shunt reg for ns10.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 498
Hey Guys,

I was looking once again to the schematic for C3 and since it goes to ground it apears that there is no need for a non polar cap there. I might be wrong though. Any comments?

Steen, could you measure the voltage at C2 (emitter Q3)?

What capacitance are you using on each of the C8 & C9 (C3)?

I should get started building this circuit and do less questions, sorry Steen :rolleyes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:
I`m still :scratch: what we want to acomplish using a double rail PSU :confused:

Only because is :cool: ?

agree!
??????????????????
boyz and girls -we can really resort to single rail version, if we stay with these input output caps

without servo and with caps-who need double rails......

and what last schematics is,anyway?

I'm sorta loosed in this,tnx to PSU funnnnnnnnnn

in that case-with less caps etc,we can have both active part and reg on same board per channel,even if caps must be something bigger ,regarding voltage...

hey-where is steen?
He is right here, Choky:D
Yep, there is life outside this world:santa2: :violin: Good job on the PC Choky. Maybe we should look at the single rail version if the next psu isnt too good either? I havent given up hope yet, cause the LM317/337 supply is quiet;) I am looking forward to pop in those new Zeners:) They sit on my table and wait right now. But I wanted to finish another job first. (Hint: Twisted-....., fill in the dots:D ) I will do some measurements as you suggest Tony. C8 and C9 are 56uF FC's. C3 is 1uF Rifa polyprop.
I really would like to keep the supply as small as possible so I can keep this linestage in the little champagne chassis.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
He is right here, Choky:D
Yep, there is life outside this world:santa2: :violin: Good job on the PC Choky. Maybe we should look at the single rail version if the next psu isnt too good either? I havent given up hope yet, cause the LM317/337 supply is quiet;) I am looking forward to pop in those new Zeners:) They sit on my table and wait right now. But I wanted to finish another job first. (Hint: Twisted-....., fill in the dots:D ) I will do some measurements as you suggest Tony. C8 and C9 are 56uF FC's. C3 is 1uF Rifa polyprop.
I really would like to keep the supply as small as possible so I can keep this linestage in the little champagne chassis.

don't give up easy;
I can't see any reason why any of these shunt regs can't be anything shorther than excellent;
besides-I remind you- that OZ guy know his bussines......

take your time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.