My take on the F4 - advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
transconductance of inputs is critical

use either J309 or J310 , with adequate source resistor for lower one

observe dissipation and don't use less than 5mA through them

in fact - use Jfet for upper one and any CCS you want , instead lower one

Thanks ZM,

I will definitely up the current.

I used the J202 as they are made for audio use so I assumed they would be better. Is that incorrect? Could it really be that critical in this source follower application?

They also have a 40v rating which is necessary for this particular application as they see 35v across them at turn on.

The J203 would be good if I want more current too I think. As soon as I have some new fets I'll keep experimenting.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks ZM,

I will definitely up the current.

I used the J202 as they are made for audio use so I assumed they would be better. Is that incorrect? Could it really be that critical in this source follower application?

They also have a 40v rating which is necessary for this particular application as they see 35v across them at turn on.

The J203 would be good if I want more current too I think. As soon as I have some new fets I'll keep experimenting.

I'm using J309 or J310 in :Pumpkin: and I'm satisfied with them , comparing to 2SK170 or even 2SK369
I don't see powering up as problem , regarding voltage ;

thinking about CCS - you can use something as on attached schm
of course - you'll loose slightly to rail to rail drive , comparing to solution with one jfet CCS , but who cares ....

edit : play a little with mosfet gate resistors , if you want to alter leading edge of output oscillogram ; there is no use looking at gates

Attachments

• JFET input current amp.jpg
    JFET input current amp.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Hi Zen Mod,

Nice photoshop work with the schematic there! I had thought of using a bipolar ccs, but the jfet ccs is so neat! I really don't want to lose any voltage swing if possible as I already only have 30V P-P. It may turn out to be my only choice though. I need to do some simulations.

Thanks for your input on the JFETs. What p channel device do you recommend (for an F5).

Thanks again,

Greg.

Last edited:
Hi tsz,

No I haven't tried that. Is there any reason to?

The speaker return is connected to ground (unlike the schematic).

The PCB layout is attached (but I'm only using 2 output pairs, not 3).

Nah, not if the speaker return is connected to ground. I just thought it looked odd with different references for input and output (very poor PSRR I imagine).

What made you abandon the constant current draw approach?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Zen Mod,

Nice photoshop work with the schematic there! I had thought of using a bipolar ccs, but the jfet ccs is so neat! I really don't want to lose any voltage swing if possible as I already only have 30V P-P. It may turn out to be my only choice though. I need to do some simulations.

Thanks for your input on the JFETs. What p channel device do you recommend (for an F5).

Thanks again,

Greg.

:clown:

just plain MS Paint ......

one JFET CCS isn't neat , it's just good enough ..... but - as all other things , if your compromise demands that , that's best solution .

for F5 - I have impression that "original" 2SK170 and 2SJ74 are still easy to find , even if not exactly cheapest ...

ask Blues for them

if you insist on using other ones - try J309 ( or J310) & J271 , but you'll need substantial source resistors for them - that's tricky part of game

How much ripple do we typically see in a heavily engineered non regulated PSU for a Class A amp?
For simple unfiltered supplies, there's a simple rule of thumb:
With a 10000uF reservoir cap, an average current of 1A causes about 1V pk-pk of ripple.
Doubling the current doubles the ripple.
Doubling the cap halves the ripple.

Even a simple RC filter makes a big difference though. It doesn't just reduce the total ripple, it gets rid of the higher harmonics so you're left with "hum" rather than "buzz".

If you play in the simulator with a circuit like the one below, you can see what to expect. Mind out for the power dissipation of the resistor, and the DC voltage drop across it.

p.s. Sorry to answer in the wrong thread; I just wanted to get away from the trolling there.

Attachments

• psu.GIF
    psu.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 170
Thanks Godfrey,

Yeah, the other thread has started go haywire hasn't it? It's a shame because there's some good info there.

I've actually made that exact model before and noted only a few mv of ripple with the CRC filter and several amps of current. I always model them with a transformer with inherent inductance and resistance, but never know how realistic my models are. I also get the series resistance and inductance from the datasheets for the capacitors.

I was just interested to know what people are actually measuring in real life power suppplies, ie how do they compare to the models? I don't have enough experience to know yet - time to scope mine I guess!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
off course - you can reference speaker to + PSU , too ;

bip CCS isn't better than Mosfet , point was in that simple Jfet CCS is worse than somewhat more complex CCS , of any sort

drawback of more complex CCS , as I wrote previously , is that it needs little more voltage headroom to work

anyway - rail to rail thing is over-hyped - who needs amp screaming all the way all the time ....... don't use force , use a bigger hammer :rofl:

for paralleling jfets - use small source resistors ( say 4R7 ) but be aware that every time you place source resistor , you're messing with Jfet's xconductance

Ok, here is the circuit I am hoping to go with. You will note that it uses a negative supply for constant current draw from the PSU. Things are looking good I think.

Current through input fet (J202) ~10mA, dissipation ~134mW. This is a 600mW device so I assume this is OK. No parallel jfets needed. Could I go with even higher current?

Current through Q1 ~10mA, dissipation ~210mW - a little high prehaps? Maybe a BD139 would be better?

Current through Q2 ~ 4mA, dissipation 6.2mW - good?

Suggestions and flames welcome!

Attachments

• Image 000.jpg
    Image 000.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.